Tragedy at Wedge Island , WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
Sad story..

Question, do fridges running on gas create a carbon monoxide problem? I would normally associate that with heaters.

I don't believe so, and the attached is an extract from Wiki regarding refridgeration gas -

'Modern refrigerators use tetrafluoroethane -- HFC-134a -- a gas that's less harmful to the environment than Freon, a type of chlorofluorocarbon. Freon is known to have a harmful effect on the environment, especially the ozone layer, when leaked into the atmosphere."

Rob P.

Very tragic event, investigation is under way.
To answer your question Manpa, here is a brief explanation retrieved from Google.

Although propane is a clean-burning fuel, without enough combustion air, the flame releases carbon monoxide. This gas is invisible, colorless and odorless; it bumps oxygen out of the blood, damages major organs and could kill you. Since propane refrigerator burners are tucked away in an enclosed space, the burners must be supplied with sufficient combustion air, and exhaust gases must be vented outside.

Looking back to some years ago, not many, there were deaths in Tassie, where three adults were deceased in a camper or small van. The conclusion to that tragic event was they went to sleep with the gas fridge going inside the van with no ventilation to the outside. It appears that this was similar to the tragedy here in WA yesterday. We will know in due course I suppose. Moral of the story is DON'T have a gas fridge in confined space with out adequate ventilation to the out side.

LoneWolf said:
Pilot light went out?
LW...

There's no pilot light as such in a gas/electric (three-way) frig and there's an automatic gas cutoff device that relies on the heat of the flame to keep the gas valve open. That's one of the reasons they can be such a bugger to light!

PabloP said:
Manpa said:
Sad story..

Question, do fridges running on gas create a carbon monoxide problem? I would normally associate that with heaters.

I don't believe so, and the attached is an extract from Wiki regarding refridgeration gas -
'Modern refrigerators use tetrafluoroethane -- HFC-134a -- a gas that's less harmful to the environment than Freon, a type of chlorofluorocarbon. Freon is known to have a harmful effect on the environment, especially the ozone layer, when leaked into the atmosphere."
Rob P.

This Wiki information only relates to wholly electric, compressor-driven refrigerators. If this sad case involved a gas/electric (three-way) absorption-type frig, these frigs use ammonia as the refrigerant.

Reports say that the fridge was hooked up to a gas bottle outside the tent .
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/di...n-dead-in-wa-beach-camp-accident-ng-s-1991795
Leslee Holmes, the president of the local Shire of Dandaragan, said a first responder saw a gas bottle outside the tent, which had its flaps up amid hot weather.

"It's just leaked in," Ms Holmes told AAP.

"People have mentioned a fridge - it may be the gas bottle that powered the fridge.

If it was propane gas that leaked into the tent while they slept .
Inhalation, Even if propane is not ignited, the buildup of the gas can be deadly due to inhalation. Breathing the gas can cause hypoxia, which is a form of oxygen deprivation that can lead to death.

Well over 20 years in a servo selling auto lpg and refilling BBQ gas bottles, every few years we had to have the appropriate training. I done an advanced course so I could train my staff in-house to save $. BBQ bottles are only allowed to be filled with propane, which when burnt gives off carbon dioxide. Auto LPG can be any thing from propane to butane or a mix of both, butane gives off carbon monoxide the same as a car burning petrol. LPG if it leaks is heavy and will run to low points or down drains if close by. If our storage tanks caught fire we we not to allow the fire to be extinguished, it was considered safer to burn it off. fortunately never had to test this. when we had a hotel and put gas heating in, the rooms were not allowed to be air tight not sure if that was because we were a business or not. As has been stated they are lethal in a closed / unvented space A tragedy but it is surprising how many people are unaware of the requirements for these devices. I recon there was some people who died in a container a few years ago who had a fire going inside and pulled the door shut. but a fire of any sort needs oxygen to burn and can use all thats available even in bushfires.

Goldslave said:
Looking back to some years ago, not many, there were deaths in Tassie, where three adults were deceased in a camper or small van. The conclusion to that tragic event was they went to sleep with the gas fridge going inside the van with no ventilation to the outside. It appears that this was similar to the tragedy here in WA yesterday. We will know in due course I suppose. Moral of the story is DON'T have a gas fridge in confined space with out adequate ventilation to the out side.

I can remember that 1, and I think you'll find that they left a burner on the stove going, probably for heating

I had a 3 way fridge running in my tent but I decided it was not a good idea . Gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning from the burnt gas . Moved it out side .

Can't get carbon monoxide poisoning from burning propane only butane. Thats why it's illegal to fill BBQ & household lpg bottles from auto gas pumps. Just one of the things you have to know to be able to retail lpg. Propane gives off carbon dioxide.

that is unless you read this article, pointing out that the burner has to be operating properly

'Carbon Monoxide (CO) is responsible for almost 25% of all propane related fatalities. ... Properly functioning propane appliances will produce what is called an "ideal burn" during combustion and present no danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can lead to severe injury and even death.'
https://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm

Latest posts