Basic QED airtest of 5, 20 and 50 cent piece.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all.

There had been a few recent QED buyers that had issues that they couldn't work out that ended up being coil problems. We tried giving a few air test results and things to try and give them a baseline of what they 'should' be getting if everything is working properly.

These are simply air tests which I don't feel have any value as far as a real detecting situation but for this sort of thing they are perfectly acceptable. I said I would make a vid, so I did. Have put it here as we were taking over Dave63's thread about his detecting adventures. These are in no way 'maximum' depth figures or anything like that so don't read too much into them. Just a baseline that others can work off to see if their set up is ok.

The vid just shows how I set it up. Results were all down 1-2 cm on what I previously posted but today was using the speaker versus the Quest wireless unit with ear buds - it makes a big difference I feel.

Anyway, hope it helps someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqRCHgBC8ao

Handy video. Thanks nottheast. I will try this way tommorow set up same as your test. It was interesting to see swing speeds used and integrity of the signal at the marked distance. I have noticed playing with this test how at greater distances you can sometimes catch a better response with a slower swing speed.
Cant wait to set up in the morning now.
Cheers,
Jason

My results with the 50c on my null of 51 was 20cm. My 5c was 19cm. Max thsb was 55 and i netted 28cm on that setting. I didnt have a 20c. Only 2 10c which wouldnt work out.
Ill repeat with the sadie and try the 20" tommorow morning

I sold my QED last week, too many differences between the machines, after talking to dozens of owners not one machine works similar, even if not faulty. Maybe when the PL5 comes out it may have similar working machines. Your mate could be using one next to you and hes getting an extra few centimetres with exact same settings, plus no auto ground balance is a huge PIA even after the new dsm thingy last year. Ive had mine for years so im no newbie either.Just my opinion anyway. :Y:

pinfire opals said:
I sold my QED last week, too many differences between the machines, after talking to dozens of owners not one machine works similar, even if not faulty. Maybe when the PL5 comes out it may have similar working machines. Your mate could be using one next to you and hes getting an extra few centimetres with exact same settings, plus no auto ground balance is a huge PIA even after the new dsm thingy last year. Ive had mine for years so im no newbie either.Just my opinion anyway. :Y:
:awful: :awful: And I was really thinking about getting one. That put the brakes on :Y:

I did the test this morning with the sadie and 20".
With the sadie null was 51. The 5c got 15cm, the 20c got 12cm and the 50c got 18cm.
High thsb was 56 and the 5c was 19cm, the 20c was 16cm and the 50c was 22cm.
For the 20" coil it wouldnt run quiet unless it was put into mode 11 (beach) which doesnt seem very usefull for the goldfields. Does your 20" run quiet in any lower mode northeast? Anyway.....
In mode 11 null was 53 the 5c netted 24cm, the 2oc got 35cm and the 50 cent was 37cm.
High thsb the 5c got 30cm, the 20c and the 50c both got 48cm.
But yeah, am definately wondering what mode others can run the 20" coil in without the random noise??

hippyhunter said:
I did the test this morning with the sadie and 20".
With the sadie null was 51. The 5c got 15cm, the 20c got 12cm and the 50c got 18cm.
High thsb was 56 and the 5c was 19cm, the 20c was 16cm and the 50c was 22cm.
For the 20" coil it wouldnt run quiet unless it was put into mode 11 (beach) which doesnt seem very usefull for the goldfields. Does your 20" run quiet in any lower mode northeast? Anyway.....
In mode 11 null was 53 the 5c netted 24cm, the 2oc got 35cm and the 50 cent was 37cm.
High thsb the 5c got 30cm, the 20c and the 50c both got 48cm.
But yeah, am definately wondering what mode others can run the 20" coil in without the random noise??
Mine ran ok on modes 6 and above, turn gain down a bit maybe, cheers Noel.

Smoky bandit said:
pinfire opals said:
:awful: :awful: And I was really thinking about getting one. That put the brakes on :Y:
Once they sort out an auto ground balance I would consider another Qed for sure.

Yeah i am right in metropolitan area so emi makes lots of sense. I have even managed to pick up emi with the sadie coil here on rare occasions.
When i get out i will start setup in mode 6 anyway, tben move upwards if needed.
Thanks fellas

One other thing i noticed both on the sadie and 11" was that at maximum depth under the coil, if i move the target say approximatelly 10cm outside the edge of the coil, i can get an extra 5cm+ depth. Sort of like the signal funnels outwards at a certain depth. I will have to remember that if i get a deep sounding target.

It was also interesting to see the 20c coin catch right up in depth to the 50c on the 20" coil. And as to be expected the 5c lessened distance.

Latest posts