Whites Tdi Pro Standard vs Whites Tdi Pro Modified.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to a good friends passing I have two Whites Tdi Pro machines, one standard mounted on an Anderson shaft and another which has the threshold modification and other sensitivity tweaks. Cannot say anything more about the modifications, apparently done by Luke Oz Digger... I will do a few comparisons and then sell the modified machine. Give me a bit of time and I'll post the results shortly.
1579856298_img_1726_edited.jpg
1579856311_img_1724_edited.jpg

The Unmodified machine is as blind as a Bat when it comes to tiny Gold, It's great for larger bits and Relic and Coins, It won't match the SDC when it comes to small Gold where as the Modified TDI will match the SDC,

After owning The TDI Pro and the SL in standard form neither one will match the Modified versions when it comes to Tiny Gold.

J.

I have had the modified Tdi Pro now for a few months, my standard machine has been on tour with my brother around Australia, cut short by the fires. So it is only now I can do a direct comparison between the two machines. Not making any judgments yet, nor any comparisons with the SDC, just between these two machines. I'll include small gold performance, general depth with a variety of coils and targets etc. Interested in threshold, stability and the amount of useable gain. Performance in hot ground etc.. I'll take my time and do it right. Each machine will be tested with the same fully charged battery pack, same coil, same target, same location, etc.. Let's wait and see.

All the best.

All I know is my standard machines would not do what Luke's machines could do, But saying that Whites did take those mods on board and I think they added it to the later SL models,

Good Luck with your tests, It will be great to see your side by side results,

J.

How about a bad video with sound. I've got a DSLR, Rode microphone and Miller tripod. I'll video the threshold audio to demonstrate the differences between the Tdi Sl, the modified Pro and the standard Pro. Just waiting for the guy next door to complete his drum practice.. Need to download basic video editing software as well.
Thanks nesral.

First machine is the Tdi Sl, followed by the modified Pro and finally the standard Pro with Anderson carbon fibre shaft.. I'll do better next time.
The standard machine clearly has the warbles,, so the threshold modification has 'some' impact but not to the level of the Tdi Sl..

Did a quick air test on the machines using the Coiltek Tdi 6 inch mono coil. The ground balance was off, conductivity in all, pulse at 10, gain on each machine as high as possible until unstable. The stock machine managed 6 on gain whilst the modified machine got to eight.
On the one grain gold ingot the modified machine only won by 5mm or half a centimetre. Using a quartz infused and partially porous gold specimen of 0.29g the standard machine detected it at 4cm whilst the modified detector managed 5 cm. A marginal but significant advantage.

The ability to advance the gain a bit further, the smoother threshold which makes picking up whispers easier and a small increase in sensitivity mean the modified machine has an advantage here. On smaller targets at shallow depths the advantage is larger but as target size and depth increase the advantages decrease. More tests to follow.
1580002381_img_1752_edited.jpg
1580002396_img_1754_edited.jpg

Repeated the air test with the Digger 14 x 8 mono coil. This time I got the standard machines gain to 5, the modified unit got to 7 so coil size seems to be a factor here..
Both machines were on pulse of 10, ground balance was off, conductivity was in all.

Stock machine 1 grain gold ingot 8cm, 0.5g gold coin 31cm, Half Sovereign 42cm.
Modified unit 1 grain gold ingot 9cm, 0.5g gold coin 33cm, Half Sovereign 45cm.

So a pattern is emerging, the modified machine has a smoother threshold, allows more gain, enjoys a bit of extra sensitivity, regardless of coil size or target size etc, that small margin of performance persists. When circumstances allow I will take the machines into the goldfields and conclude with some in ground testing in mineralized soils.
1580025039_img_1757_edited.jpg
1580025053_img_1764_edited.jpg

Good test, well done,

I found the standard Machines fitted with the factory coils could not see bits weighing 0.17g even when turned flat out with the GB turned On or Off,

I will be interesting to see what the after market coils can do with modded machines,

Thanks for doing the test, :Y:

No idea about the Pro but I have never had any probs detecting a 1grain ( 0.06gram)24k Au test piece or a 0.18g nugget with the SL even with the standard 12/7 DF coil.

Admittedly the nugget is only detectable at 0mm with the standard battery and 10mm with 16V ,whereas the test piece is detectable upto 50mm, even though it is 1/3rd the weight of the nugget. A nice example of the impact of shape & purity on detectability.

XLOOX said:
No idea about the Pro but I have never had any probs detecting a 1grain ( 0.06gram)24k Au test piece or a 0.18g nugget with the SL even with the standard 12/7 DF coil.

Admittedly the nugget is only detectable at 0mm with the standard battery and 10mm with 16V ,whereas the test piece is detectable upto 50mm, even though it is 1/3rd the weight of the nugget. A nice example of the impact of shape & purity on detectability.

Yep that's because they added the mod at the factory, The SL is a Great Machine and very nice to use, my first SL was not as hot as yours, :Y:

Just playing with the Tdi Sl, attempting to experiment with the smaller mono 6x4 coil, interested in seeing if I can run with the ground balance OFF. Yes I can, but not if hot rocks or ironstone are present, worked ok in a quartz hill top though. Worth a try...

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/KKS-z-Mgtd8[/video]

I did manage to compare the two Pro's and the modified unit performed very well. Both were stable and managed hot ground well. The area chosen was German Gully near Fryerstown.
1580793715_img_1821_edited.jpg
1580793738_img_1829_edited.jpg
1580793760_img_1837_edited.jpg
1580793773_img_1850_edited.jpg

Both machines were compared with the Sadie coil, both machines were also used with the Digger 14 x 8 mono. Both coils worked well at the location, on both machines the Digger was smoother in both Low and All conductivity whilst the Sadie passed on some ground noise in All but was quiet in LOW, again on both machines. The machines behaved identically but the modified unit has the smoother threshold. Both were stable on a gain of five, no difference here. More results to follow shortly.

The standard and modified machines were compared using the Sadie coil. Targets were the 1 grain ingot, half gram gold coin and a gold half sovereign.
The soil was hot, infested with small iron stone and hot rocks. Odd but the 1 grain ingot came in at a decent depth compared to the other target which seemed to do less well in this soil. Last time I did ground tests the soil had much more moisture, only difference? It has me thinking anyway. Last time I tested the Sadie on the standard Pro the results were very different.

Old test results,,,, 1 grain at 6cm, half gram gold coin at 21cm, the half sovereign at 27cm. (Moist/Wet ground) Different location.. Dunolly

Standard machine got 1 grain at 9cm, half gram gold coin at 16cm, the half sovereign at 21cm.

Modified machine got 1 grain at 11cm, half gram gold coin at 17cm, the half sovereign at 21cm.

Small gold performance goes to the modified machine, nicer threshold and after that they are pretty equal.

Video to follow shortly..

1 Grain at 11cm !! Wow!!

You didn't by any chance test the SL at the same spot with the 1gr ?

I can easily get 5cm stock standard and now with a sadie, 16V and nice earphones, 7cm in the air but that is a LONG way from 11cm in hot dirt

Well done.

Latest posts