Q. Why did the camel cross the road?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep 45-70 and surprisingly less kick than my 44.
Very handy short barreled scrub gun that what ever you hit falls over and doesn't get back up again. At home in a holster or on a handle bar mount on a quad.

Steve said,

"Another thing with our fences, a lot is determined by how far you can actually get the pickets and strainers into the ground. I don't actually think there is such a thing as cheap fencing out here."

Got the same problem over here mate but we have nothing but cheap fences. :lol: :lol: :lol: You can guess why.

Cheers

Doug

What about the old timers cutting mulga/gidgee posts, diggin em in then a brace an bit for the wire holes......not to mention their horse pulling the wires through.
Plenty of old gidgee fence lines still where we opal mined in SW Qld......and they all headed to a bore head.

With the old man, I started with cross cut saw, splitting gun and wedges splitting stringy bark posts for around 30 quid a hundred. Split droppers around 8 quid a hundred but if you found a decent messmate that was good money.....it split like butter. That was the timber mainly used for shingles too. Watching a bloke splitting shingles can be quite mesmerising.

About 1956 upgraded to a chainsaw and with the the Atom post hole borer, tractor mounted auger, as fencing contractors our life became much easier.

A neighbour of ours was felling electric light poles and with a broad axe turning them into hexagons. They had to have all the sapwood removed and that was the general way it was done.
Marked them out with a chalk line, could hold a conversation as he chopped the flats onto them.....eventually passed away still with both feet.

Later on tried sleeper cutting with a Hargens swing saw but at 10 stone wringing wet I couldn't hold the bloody thing down or straight.

mike...

boobook said:
What about the old timers cutting mulga/gidgee posts, diggin em in then a brace an bit for the wire holes......not to mention their horse pulling the wires through.
Plenty of old gidgee fence lines still where we opal mined in SW Qld......and they all headed to a bore head.

With the old man, I started with cross cut saw, splitting gun and wedges splitting stringy bark posts for around 30 quid a hundred. Split droppers around 8 quid a hundred but if you found a decent messmate that was good money.....it split like butter. That was the timber mainly used for shingles too. Watching a bloke splitting shingles can be quite mesmerising.

About 1956 upgraded to a chainsaw and with the the Atom post hole borer, tractor mounted auger, as fencing contractors our life became much easier.

A neighbour of ours was felling electric light poles and with a broad axe turning them into hexagons. They had to have all the sapwood removed and that was the general way it was done.
Marked them out with a chalk line, could hold a conversation as he chopped the flats onto them.....eventually passed away still with both feet.

Later on tried sleeper cutting with a Hargens swing saw but at 10 stone wringing wet I couldn't hold the bloody thing down or straight.

mike...

:beer: great story :Y:

Plenty of those old fences still standing here Mike, though most have been laying down for many years having been smashed by camels and horses for decades.
Back in 1911 Erlistoun was owned by the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Firewood company who cut timber for the mines and the railways...all by hand.
This place is littered with old Kelly axe head and hand auger bits. Some of the old fence posts you can almost match up with the stump it was cut from a few feet away.
They did it tough back in those days

That's amazing MT. I thought I had my work cut out for me on my last property keeping the Eastern Greys out from trashing our little orchard. Those Camels look like they take fence wrecking to a whole new level though :awful:

Deepseeker said:
That's amazing MT. I thought I had my work cut out for me on my last property keeping the Eastern Greys out from trashing our little orchard. Those Camels look like they take fence wrecking to a whole new level though :awful:
fences are the least of your worry as Rockhunter would know, it's the damage to water points.

That reminded me of when I was a young bloke and I lived on the top of Mt Panorama.
Camel cigarettes had sponsored something or paid money to advertise, back when smokes could do that.

Up the top of the mountain on a concrete wall was printed the words "camel filters".
Then every metre was a 2 foot high picture of a black camel, the trade mark symbol of camel cigarettes. This stretched the entire klm until it got to where it again said "camel filters"

Some most excellent funny bastard who to this day I want to meet and shake his hand, snuck in one night and wrote "with dicks" under the words "camel filters"
Then he drew a shlong on every single camel for the whole klm. It must have taken the whole night!!

I don't condone graffiti but this was just the funniest thing I'd ever seen@ :lol: :lol: