Q. Why did the camel cross the road?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
A. I have no idea and serious doubt the camel would have a clue either! After all, the things are that stupid they go over and trash a perfectly good fence either side of a damn open gate!! ]:D

UURzubb.jpg

Yeah, pretty dumb, but they have been around before our ancestors climbed out of the trees. Our brilliant predecessors brought them here same as they brought rabbits, foxes, cane toads, etc, ect. White fellas weren't a great import either.

Hey Reg,

One of your best posts. Particularly about white fellas. They have a lot to answer for, fires etc etc...

I myself am a shade of white, until they make "awesome" a colour!!!!!

Some may say I identify as "below average" "easily distracted".... :perfect:

I suspect if I were getting shot at I might, just might not notice an open gate. Hahaha !!!

RS

No inline strainer posts?.......
Cheap outback fencing ends up not so cheap with maybe a bit of Karma thrown in. ;)

boobook said:
No inline strainer posts?.......
Cheap outback fencing ends up not so cheap with maybe a bit of Karma thrown in. ;)
actually, probably more strainers than most and more than needed

Was they the mines had put in to place Steve?

Or the ones near the home stead...

As I know how much work has been put into putting up these fence's...

Goody

With those buggers leaning on the wires I reckon a strainer every 5 pickets if your going to keep it upright.

Does electric work out there, plenty of the "long paddock" graziers use it, just a single ribbon seems to work ok.

goody2shoes said:
Was they the mines had put in to place Steve?

Or the ones near the home stead...

As I know how much work has been put into putting up these fence's...

Goody
about 5 klms east of the homestead Goody.

boobook said:
With those buggers leaning on the wires I reckon a strainer every 5 pickets if your going to keep it upright.

Does electric work out there, plenty of the "long paddock" graziers use it, just a single ribbon seems to work ok.

Strainers are every 5 or 6 posts I think, hence why they are just bent and not flat to the ground.. Horses will unintentionally hit a fence on the run and just bounce off but camels will intentionally attack a fence and not much will stop them I'm afraid.

Camels don't lean on the wire, a few might try and go over it but they purposely attack the posts and usually right smack in the middle between strainers.

Excuse the pic of a dead one, it was of the rifle for a friend not so much of the camel.

3W0Zyy9.jpg

Just to the right of his front knees you'll see the big callous shaped like an upside down love heart. On bigger camels this can be up to 6 inches thick.
He will walk up to a star picket and place one leg either side of it, either through the wire or under it and put that callous against the picket then just lean forward pushing it over. Once they get it over far enough they'll stand on it and try and flatten it.

So actually, camels are bloody smart!

Another thing with our fences, a lot is determined by how far you can actually get the pickets and strainers into the ground. I don't actually think there is such a thing as cheap fencing out here.

Can see what you mean mt, would work like a tree pusher on a dozer. Maximum leverage applied with 4 bloody big feet pushing it.

Nice looking lever action there, from the loading port looks like .45-70 if so with maybe the barrel a wee bit short for the muzzle blast. :argh:
Had a very nice original Win. LA "trapper" in .44 mag. until some "smart" lowlife picked 3 sets of locks and removed it plus 10 other longarms.

I didn't believe those "high security" locks could be so easily opened until a locksmith demonstrated.
There was a background problem somewhere, in regional NSW, only persons with 5 or more firearms were targeted, I was 1 of 7 locally :mad:

Latest posts