Where to go?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Peter Diggins
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what area to spend a few months detecting.

If you had the opportunity where in Australia would you go in search of gold?

Yeah, yeah, I know, there's always someone to tell me where to go, so no comments from the peanut gallery lol.

Secret spots that members don't want made public can be PMed to me. :Y: :cool:

Id go to WA.

It is vast and considering how big a coil is and how much ground is there the actual percentage of gold bearing ground that has been properly worked with a late model detector?? My guess would be less than 5%. Maybe far less even.

Or be one of the 100,000 others that have swung a coil in the Whipstick ;)

No worries Smoky, I'll just throw a tracker on your vehicle, that way you won't have to tell me, lol.

Yes Northeast, WA is massive and as the population is nothing like on the East Coast it may be the go. There is also a lot of ground between the gold too though, but still, probably the go-to spot.

I believe there are people still getting decent nuggets there in Victoria still, and regularly, but all hush hush.

:) :Y:

Northeast said:
Id go to WA.

It is vast and considering how big a coil is and how much ground is there the actual percentage of gold bearing ground that has been properly worked with a late model detector?? My guess would be less than 5%. Maybe far less even.

Nope No gold in WA. All these people from the other side of the country have taken it ;) I'm not giving any of my spots away but I hear Cue and Leonora can be good.

Northeast said:
Id go to WA.

Northeast, my guess is that you haven't had a crack at it over here yet. I have to say that in the limited time I've been detecting in WA I've not yet found a spot that didn't produce boot tacks, fragments of coloured glass, horse shoes, old cans and other ancient throwaways. I really don't think there's much of WA's gold bearing ground that hasn't been wandered over by the old timers and where they found gold the detectors have followed.

It must be around 50 years since metal detectors started scouring our big broad land and I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of detectors are actually out there. We have six and all but one has found gold and in every state of Australia that we've swung a detector I might add. Every state has gold, undoubtedly some have more but if you can't find it at home then a big trip might be a waist of time and money ;)

peterau said:
Mate go to W.A. and when you eventually find your secret spot see if you feel like letting us know ;)

Hi Pete, I don't care about material wealth or money, so it is all about the thrill of finding gold for me.

If by chance I stumble across a great gold area I will post asap to share the joy.

Jesus said "there is no greater love than to share with your fellow man, for to withhold and keep secret is bad juju." Diddascalia Apostolorum. Ch.3 vs. 8.

:Y: :)

Mate the issue with sharing spots is that there is no accountability on public forums.

There are thousands of members signed up but only a hundred at any one time that actively contribute.

There are hundreds of thousands that don't join and glean the information contained herein.

There's a percentage of those that don't fill in holes, leave their rubbish after camping.

If you want your piece of paradise trashed, go right ahead and share it with the internet world.

What you are effectively asking is where can I go to take 50 dollar notes out of the ground or can anyone lend me their EFTPOS card so you can withdraw a few hundred dollars out of their acount.

Would you lend me your EFTPOS card and pin number for a few months, I suspect not.

We have a saying in my Train Driving world that might explain to you why and how to approach the subject of spots that contain gold when your just learning.

"Yon never ask for a drive and you never knock back a drive if offered"

You my friend would never get a drive with your approach.

Hopefully this gives you some clarity Son.

RS

Retirement Stone said:
Mate the issue with sharing spots is that there is no accountability on public forums.

There are thousands of members signed up but only a hundred at any one time that actively contribute.

There are hundreds of thousands that don't join and glean the information contained herein.

There's a percentage of those that don't fill in holes, leave their rubbish after camping.

If you want your piece of paradise trashed, go right ahead and share it with the internet world.

What you are effectively asking is where can I go to take 50 dollar notes out of the ground or can anyone lend me their EFTPOS card so you can withdraw a few hundred dollars out of their acount.

Would you lend me your EFTPOS card and pin number for a few months, I suspect not.

We have a saying in my Train Driving world that might explain to you why and how to approach the subject of spots that contain gold when your just learning.

"Yon never ask for a drive and you never knock back a drive if offered"

You my friend would never get a drive with your approach.

Hopefully this gives you some clarity Son.

RS

Thanks for those words, I understand.

The thing of it is, I only care about the journey more than the destination.
Financial gain is only on my radar to recover costs and fund future trips. Any excess is donated to a few special charities I hold dear.
I cannot be held responsible for other's actions and can only trust they do the right thing.
Best of luck to you and have a lovely day. :Y: :)

Digger58 said:
peterau said:
Mate go to W.A. and when you eventually find your secret spot see if you feel like letting us know ;)

Hi Pete, I don't care about material wealth or money, so it is all about the thrill of finding gold for me.

If by chance I stumble across a great gold area I will post asap to share the joy.

Jesus said "there is no greater love than to share with your fellow man, for to withhold and keep secret is bad juju." Diddascalia Apostolorum. Ch.3 vs. 8.

:Y: :)
Glad I'm a non beliver :lol: :lol:

Ded Driver said:
yep, no gold left in WA. All that's left is rusty iron over here, except for all the lead MadTuna has sprayed over the country :playful:

Absolutely DD...have you tried Caloundra yet Digger58?? O:)

I am about to take off on only my second attempt at prospecting, so the only secret spot I have is where I take a dump.
I would not mind trying some where east of sandstone, maybe even sandstone area and help look for that missing lady while detecting :D

The only problem is I am aware the water is pretty heavy around that area, but I do not remember how far away from leinster you have to be to get onto a different water system.

Plenty of ground east of Sandstone Frank.. picked a few grams around Agnew a while back.
I usually take enough water to last about 10 days, after that it's time to move anyway.

There's a clue for you Digger58.

EVIE/BEE said:
Ded Driver said:
yep, no gold left in WA. All that's left is rusty iron over here, except for all the lead MadTuna has sprayed over the country :playful:

I'm not sure if you are having a go as one of the muppets, and now I see the above from you as well, so I'll say thank you Evie.

I have thought about Caloundra as there is a bit of land here that the developers haven't touched yet. I've been doing some googling and sat inspections so will have a search in my best guesses.

There is another area covering a number of suburbs that did have stacks of vacant land and it was full of quartz, even some pieces that were as large as watermelons and bigger. I remember there were lines of quartz too, which I now know are reefs. That was a dozen years ago and I haven't been there since. Probably nothing there but I'll go for a drive one day now that I know about gold, sort of lol.

My best bet at the moment appears to be Clermont as they opened a new 180 hectares to the public recently.

Cheers. :Y: :)

Frankdonovan121 said:
I am about to take off on only my second attempt at prospecting, so the only secret spot I have is where I take a dump.
I would not mind trying some where east of sandstone, maybe even sandstone area and help look for that missing lady while detecting :D

The only problem is I am aware the water is pretty heavy around that area, but I do not remember how far away from leinster you have to be to get onto a different water system.

Hey Frank, that secret spot where you take a dump, have you run your detector over it because I reckon there could be a nugget or two. They may even be sunbakers so no digging. :lol:

Digger58 said:
EVIE/BEE said:
Ded Driver said:

I'm not sure if you are having a go as one of the muppets, and now I see the above from you as well, so I'll say thank you Evie.

I have thought about Caloundra as there is a bit of land here that the developers haven't touched yet. I've been doing some googling and sat inspections so will have a search in my best guesses.

There is another area covering a number of suburbs that did have stacks of vacant land and it was full of quartz, even some pieces that were as large as watermelons and bigger. I remember there were lines of quartz too, which I now know are reefs. That was a dozen years ago and I haven't been there since. Probably nothing there but I'll go for a drive one day now that I know about gold, sort of lol.

My best bet at the moment appears to be Clermont as they opened a new 180 hectares to the public recently.

Cheers. :Y: :)

If you think this is the hobby for you then do your own research. Nobody is going to put onto good gold when they can go there and get it themselves. The mines department is a government institution set up with all the data and mapping on available land and areas with a history of gold. Other than that there have been some very good books written on the subject. The Gold & Ghosts series of books would be one of the best references available.

Latest posts