Mitsubishi Air Bags.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found out that our 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero is on the list for faulty air bags. Apparently Mitsubishi has decided to do a buy back at market price of the cars affected which means that will be less than $4000.00 for our car that has done just on 150000 kms, has 4 new tyres which have done 2000kms and numerous other accessories, so we are being forced into selling as there does not appear to be any other air bags that can replace the current ones fitted. I am not allowed to disconnect the air bags as this makes it un-road worthy, this being the first vehicle I have owned fitted with air bags and have been driving for the past 60 odd years cars that did not have them fitted and a lot less safety features and have not had an accident.
NOT HAPPY JAN..... :poop: :poop: :poop:

Graham

I have a 97 NL with no airbags.. I Purposely bought this model with no bags.. .... So We die like real Men in my Family... :lol: :lol:

Now on a serious note, I have been following this closely on a Pajero Forum .. Its still early days yet as MM hasn't a clue on what to actually do about it ... They haven't actually said the buy back will be at market value yet, as so many Owners have said their cars are worth well over the market value and they want to keep their cars anyhow... So in the mean time

KEEP AN EYE ON THIS LINK... as they will be the first to know what they plan https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=66056...

So here is a sneaky way around the issue... Not really legal but helps you out for the time being... :8

You locate your Airbag Fuse and pull it out. 2 fuses if you also have a Passenger Airbag, I have been told?..

Connect something to it (short out the fuse) so the fuse blows...., then re-fit it back in to your car.... No airbags now... Done for the mean time...

But I was also told that the air-bag light MAY light up on the dash... if this happens, pull the bulb out from behind the dash as well... {)

MM are telling Owners Not to Drive their Vehicles until this is sorted out... Yer right as if some have a choice... :mad:

Even 96-97 NK Owners are caught up in this issue as well...

LW....

savage bitter said:
is there a possibility of changing the steering wheel to a more current one

No, that wont work(different computers and steering columns ) and They are also on a re-call anyhow. (air-bag related).. :rolleyes:

This just gets bigger and better every day... :mad:

But MM wont be the only ones , as Other Manufactures will be caught up in it as well soon... :/

LW....

I have put up the link to the Pajero Forum. Read it as it explains that different sites also have different lists ATM..... the links are in there DD... If you have air-bags in yours, you are caught up in it as well... Goes back to any Early model Pajero WITH Air-bags... 1996-2001 +...

7 pages of links and Unhappy Pajero Owners and growing every day... Started 5 weeks ago... :mad:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...l-pajero-and-wa-express-starwagon-my1997-2000

Also the ACCC website has a better list of affected Cars now...
That's one issue Owners are finding out is that every Department has a different list...

Hence the confusion... They WON'T be replacing or Manufacturing New Air-bags... that's Why the Buy-back is on offer...

LW...

The Lists are changing every day...
As they keep finding cars to Add to it... :(

1996 NK 's are involved as well... If it has an air-bag fitted...
LW..

They were an 'Optional Extra' up till mid 99 or so... Then a new Design rule came in and they became Law... Im not too sure exactly what date the new design rule came in tho...

LW....

By offering a buy back they need to be offering the original retail one would hope, the car needs to be replaced.

Airbags could be replaced more cheaply, you would think.

NOT good if you dont have the $$ to buy a new car !

:mad:

I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Ti in beautiful condition. I have searched all the recalls and can't find out if it is or isn't on the list. I definately won't be selling it for market value.
What are the police going to do, using no. plate recognition to take the cars off the road or will they refuse to have them re-registered if they all of a sudden appear on a list? :(

I have a 2010 Triton and the site you put your number plate number in says I dont have to get it changed, but on other sites it says my triton needs to be done.

Yes this is the issue ... Some sites say your car is NOT involved and others are saying YES it is... Total Confusion that's for sure.. And Most sites are Government sites.. :mad:

As I said previously This is going to involve lots of cars and Manufactures.. On that Pajero Forum I mentioned there is a hint of a few ideas on what MM(Mitsubishi Motors) can do.. But these need Government Approval and it is still early days yet...

One option is the Cars with airbags, if they were manufactured BEFORE the Design rule came in,(around mid 1999) but were offered as an 'Optional Extra' could be fitted with non-airbag steering wheels and columns and have the Passenger airbags removed.. But this needs Federal Government Approval..

The issue is NOT that they have faulty airbags like the more modern cars... Its that the gas canisters have a life of 10yrs before they start to corrode.. This causes the airbag to activate a split second after when they should, Un-expectantly or NOT AT ALL..

MM did say last week that their buy-back WILL be at Market Value... :mad: Now they have said that that is a starting point... Yer Right..

And also have said that NO new airbags will be manufactured for the Early models... This is down right unfair to the owners who have invested so much $$ into their Cars and will get SFA for them... Even EVO Lancers and the like are involved and I can't see MM giving them anything over Market value for them... Yet they are worth a hell of a lot more...

Some reading for ALL concerned... up to page 11 now... There are some very informed people on this site and have found some Ways these Manufactures CAN keep these Cars on the Road... And this not only applies to Pajero's...

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=66056&page=11

LW...

A Quote off the Pajero forum...

Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
for those interested --- I am trying very hard to find where these quotes came from but I am struggling and as the post is 8 years old it is likely they could have been superceded and no longer appllicable...

Optional Airbag in Vehicle Required to Meet ADR 69/..
If a vehicle was required to meet ADR 69/.. and it was originally fitted with an airbag that was optional equipment on that particular model or variant, the airbag need not be present, complete or operational provided the vehicle is fitted with all equipment (eg steering wheel, steering column, seat belts) that would have been fitted had the vehicle been originally manufactured without the airbag; i.e. the vehicle must be shown to still comply with the requirements of ADR 69/..
Optional Drivers Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to Meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a drivers airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational provided the impact energy absorption characteristics of the steering wheel and steering column are equivalent to those of the non-airbag variant; i.e. the vehicle must comply with the requirements of ADR 10/..
Optional Passenger Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a passenger airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational.

LW...

Class action by a large group of effected owners that have been clearly sold a lemon from the get go may help to smarten MM up on the price. Perhaps they should offer a new for old like for like on the vehicles they either can't or won't fix. Lemon law is long overdue in this country.

Mike 501... You NEED to read this... This was released in 2016..
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...a-limited-mitsubishi-triton-ml-mn-my2007-2014

For the full list of affected cars and 4x4's... this Site is updated close to Every day as they find new models affected... This is the site I would put 80% trust in... The 'others' only 20%....

I wouldn't use any site that I need to put my Rego in.... Work on your VIN number...

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list

Goldtrapper, You, Me and DD... We Die Like Real Men.. :playful:

LW...

jethro said:
Class action by a large group of effected owners that have been clearly sold a lemon from the get go may help to smarten MM up on the price. Perhaps they should offer a new for old like for like on the vehicles they either can't or won't fix. Lemon law is long overdue in this country.

My issue is that I wouldn't want a New Pajero... I want My NL.... and So do others... That's Why We bought them.. Best Model Pajero out there.. IMO..

LW...

Latest posts