Mother of All Sleeping Bags

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Building this Van in to a Camper has given me a few issues I need to Address, 1) being because it is a van/MPV the sides and the Roof are not insulated and I don't fancy ripping off all the internal Trim panels and even more so that humungous Roof Lining, So I decided upon a new Sleeping Bag was in order, I already have some rated down to -50*c and below but due to their Mummy Shape they are not suited for Van use and everyday Living,

Over here the Carp Fisherman have the best fishing gear ever Made from their Bed Chairs to their Bivvies and their Sleeping bags are something else because they are designed to sleep out in the rain and Snow and heavy Frost etc and the list goes on, The one I bought is classed as a 3 or 5 Season Bag, The beauty of this one is it has an inner bag and an outer bag, the Outer is good enough for an Aussie Winter which is a 3 season bag and if it gets mega Cold you can add the inner 2 season bag which has a smooth finish on one side and fleece on the other and you can Zip it in so either side can be used or it can be used in milder weather,

Once the inner is Zipped in to the outer Bag you can either Sleep between the 2 layers and if it is too warm then you can sleep just below the outer layer or If it is down below -20/-30*c you can climb between the layer of outer lower layer and then you will have the Lower inner layer on top of you and the inner upper layer and on top of that you have the upper outer layer, So with the 3 layers on top it takes seconds for you to get warm and it feels like you have 5 or 6 doonas on top of you and you notice the weight which I don't mind because the top of the bag moulds it's self to your body,

But these Carp Fisherman have got it made with the gear that they can buy, Next on my list is one of their Bivvies ( Tents )

Heres the Bag I bought,

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/trakker-365-sleeping-bag

I have an Imax Van I use for work/camping, it has been the best thing then sliced bread for me with my activities.
Tips:
Jump on youtube and search for "van life".

As far as the sleeping bags go, get 2 square sleeping bags and join them into one big double using the zipper.
I also have a camp bed that has a little tent built over/into it as a backup.

Tathradj said:
I bought an American Army Sleeping System.
Has a Gortex Bivvie Cover, Waterproof,
1 Bag for winter use,
1 bag for summer use,
Zip the whole lot together and wear some light cloths.
Will cause you to sweat at -10.

About $200.00 delivered.

Sounds good Tath I tried to find one over here but No luck, and the last time I ordered something from the US the import duty was a killer, I won the Bid on ebay for a Coil that was $65.00 USD and it ended up costing me about $200+ USD

I think the one I bought might be over kill, It weighs over 6.5 kgs and even compressed it is way too large to go in any back pack regardless of it's size, It turned up in a Box the size of a washing machine, :( :eek: :eek: But it is a work of Art just the same,

There are so many nice things I'd like to get from the US but the import duty just puts most of them out of reach because anything over $38.00+/- AUD from America is a killer.

condor22 said:
RR It doesn't give a C rating in the add, does it have one? i.e I have an Oztrail rated at -10 with a removable liner. :)

Well it is designed to sleep out in the Snow and Ice and I have Bags rated down to -50*c and this thing can possibly 2 or 3 Times that, to give you an idea what it feels like when your in it with just 2 layers either side of you, It's like getting in the warmest bag you can find and putting every blanket and doona and item of clothing in the house on top of you,

I have bought 3 Bags in the past with C or Temp ratings but in the real world they don't mean much because we all feel the same temperatures but or bodies see them in a different way, I use to roast in my other 5 season bag and then I got my -20/-50c bag and they were great but since I got sick at around 12-14*c in the house was uncomfortable until I had the heart Op. :Y:

Decoy said:
I have an Imax Van I use for work/camping, it has been the best thing then sliced bread for me with my activities.
Tips:
Jump on youtube and search for "van life".

As far as the sleeping bags go, get 2 square sleeping bags and join them into one big double using the zipper.
I also have a camp bed that has a little tent built over/into it as a backup.

Well I was going to put my -50 bag inside the older 5 season bag but the beauty of this new one gives me at leased 5 different options on how it's used and it also has a fleece lining if I want to use it and I got 2 pillows which one side is made out of the soft sleeping bag material and on the other side they are covered with Fleece, which is nice because there is nothing worse than putting your face ona cold surface when it's -10/-15 and below, :Y:

J.

Latest posts