Gippsland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am up in the Latrobe Valley. Just getting started in this hobby with my son to get out in this amazing place. We are open to look for anything. If any one like to give me a tip or recommend a spot or a thing to look for in the ground I will try to pass on any help I can give. I am looking for good books and tools. I am really a noob . Thank you and good luck to all and stay safe.

I understand that Livin_the_dream. I came here from England with my parents when I was seven. The scariest thing you might see where I came from was perhaps a big Daddy Long Legs in the bathtub (it had cobwebs in it, as being pommies we never used it ;) )

Arriving here in November we moved into an old weatherboard house in Melbourne that seemed to be infested with Huntsman spiders. And then, walking down the road to get to the shops, My mother, sister and I had to walk down a street lined with old Liquid Amber trees that were home to many Cicadas in full screeching song. We all huddled together as we walked down the road not knowing what was causing the noise, a drop bear attack about to happen at any moment. :lol:
:Y:
And welcome aboard cipedead & Livin_the_dream

welcome to PA Forum, both Cipedead & Livin_the_dream. :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:
LivinTD, they are under every step, with the crocs & snakes just avoid the end with teeth, & the spiders ... step on em ... very firmly :playful:
BUT, look up, its the Drop Bears they really have to watch out for :koala: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi cipehead welcome. Lots of good reading on here to get you going. Im a fellow gippslander near warragul lots of gold mining history in the area. I take family trips often. We dont find heaps but have fun doing so. Cheers :beer:

Welcome Cipedead and son.

What has worked for me is to go to locations where getting colour in your pan is 'almost' guaranteed.
That way you can work on your technique in the field and learn more about how gold moves in creeks etc.

Books, maps and research is most definitely needed, but with just 3 or 4 trips to known gold producing creeks you will learn alot!! Then build on that experience in other locations once you know the signs to keep an eye out for.

Getting your hands dirty, your feet wet (maybe not this time of year) and finding colour in your pan is the best experience there is.

Welcome to PA Cipehead. As stated already, experience is very important. If you are chasing alluvial Gold (gold in the creek, deposited by flowing water)...constantly analysing and reasoning on the results your getting from what your doing and testing theories as too what's going on with the movement of Gold in the creek helps you keep learning.
My biggest tip if I had one....YouTube- Two Toes. His knowledge is legendary and shares things I haven't heard elsewhere.

All the best buddy.

Hi, im A 62 year old, noob with a case of why not, ya never know ya luck! Im also in the Latrobe Valley... I have a low end minelab and hope to upgrade after finding some paydirt. Raflmsoao!
???

Latest posts