Wearing Your Watch Or Wedding Ring Whilst Detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never wear a wedding ring at all so that's not an issue for me

I do wear a rather expensive watch, TAG Heuer Calibre 5 nearly all the time, but I take it off and put it in a pocket within my bumbag mainly so I dont damage it rather than it interfering with my detector

steel capped boots I dont wear as not only are they capped they have a steel plate between the liner and the sole and they do send the detector off if getting the coil too close to your feet. besides, safety boots are heavier than non safety boots. I like the Rossi or Redback slip ons non safety style

Martin said:
I wear steel cap boots while detecting, never have issues :cool:

I guess that depends on your detector and the terrain you detect on. My GPX4500 with a 14" Elite coil would protest loudly if I attempted to wear any metal near my feet. I'll often detect right across my boots when I'm in a spot where there's nowhere to move so even the slightest bit of metal is a problem. If you are after maximum performance from your detector you have to give it a fighting chance and that means no phone, turn the GPS off and try to find a headlamp that's detector friendly.

Nightjar said:

Found the one with the nug displayed. :D

1578562331_imgp0346.jpg

Well, I'm a little superstitious, and noticed I had my best run on gold finds with my 0.3g test nugget in the pocket, grey Guinness cap, Green scoop and wedding ring on!

I stopped wearing my ring, changed caps, misplaced my 0.3g test piece, and hey.....guess what...I had a dry spell on the gold.
I was on the search for a new lucky hat, I had a camo one which I really liked (nice fit) but every time I wore it I found nothing!!

The next nugget I found I was wearing a grey Holdfast brand cap, and I was wearing my wedding ring! I thought I finally broke the superstition of only finding gold if I had my 0.3g test piece on me, but a day later I found it stuffed in the bottom of a pouch on my harness where the dunny paper is.

So those three items are my lucky charms :goldnugget: :perfect:

PhaseTech said:
Well, I'm a little superstitious, and noticed I had my best run on gold finds with my 0.3g test nugget in the pocket, grey Guinness cap, Green scoop and wedding ring on!

I stopped wearing my ring, changed caps, misplaced my 0.3g test piece, and hey.....guess what...I had a dry spell on the gold.
I was on the search for a new lucky hat, I had a camo one which I really liked (nice fit) but every time I wore it I found nothing!!

The next nugget I found I was wearing a grey Holdfast brand cap, and I was wearing my wedding ring! I thought I finally broke the superstition of only finding gold if I had my 0.3g test piece on me, but a day later I found it stuffed in the bottom of a pouch on my harness where the dunny paper is.

And the dunny roll :lol: :lol: :Y: don't dare forget that now or all your demons will visit and have you scurrying for cover all the while scooping up dry gum leaves :lol: :lol: :lol: or the really soft ones if you can reach high enough but I doubt you'll have time :lol: :beer:

PhaseTech said:

Hmmm, gotta get myself a new lucky hat.... My Minelab one was filthy, sweat soaked and corroded, just couldn't bare to put it back on my head, lol.. :D

Years ago, nearly lost a finger using a lathe, so got used to not wearing a ring, even tho I got one when married. :)

Watch, I think I still have it, I took it off the day I retired over 9 years ago, put it in the bedside drawer, don't know if it still works, don't care.......

Sun's near enough for me, but then I do have a mobile phone and a GPS if I really want to know, lol.

by the way, I do exactly the same thing - when I go on the beach to find anything with my XP DEUS Metal Detector, I take off my ring and also my watches, because if I don't a waste about 30 mins not understanding why I didn't find anything, even a can) So for me it is the rule number one. If you want to improve your skills in metal detecting you can read more on useful forums where real professionals show how they find gold and other things.

condor22 said:
Years ago, nearly lost a finger using a lathe, so got used to not wearing a ring, even tho I got one when married. :)

Watch, I think I still have it, I took it off the day I retired over 9 years ago, put it in the bedside drawer, don't know if it still works, don't care.......

Sun's near enough for me, but then I do have a mobile phone and a GPS if I really want to know, lol.

Depending on what type of detector you use, you might find the phone and GPS more troublesome than the ring and watch.

Latest posts