Wearing Your Watch Or Wedding Ring Whilst Detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've not come across this question on the forum but I am baffled why anyone would wear these items whilst trying to detect or retrieve targets?

YouTube is littered with people getting caught by signals given by these items.

I don't wear a watch anymore and take my wedding ring off on the drive out and don't put it back on till the drive home, 5 days later.

We are all pretty close to estimating the time during the day, so an obvious answer would be, I need to know what time it is doesn't make sense to me.

I suspect that, I can't take off my wedding ring or I've never taken it off since we were married is the other one???

I have my mobile phone on flight mode sitting in a backpack close by if I want to check the time and wedding ring stays in car.

Please enlighten me why you detect and retrieve targets wearing a watch and or wedding ring?

Cheers,

RS

Thanks guys.

Still baffled why you would accept any metal near a metal detector other than a Target.

I ve done all three. Watch, wedding ring and steel caps. Drive me nuts early on. Eliminated all three and now find it simpler. But I am fairly simple !!!

Cheers

RS

How do you det in steelcapped boots I have trouble with pick on belt!!! Every step with steelcapped boots gives me signal of some sort

Martin said:
I wear steel cap boots while detecting, never have issues :cool:
I have never worn steel capped boots whilst detecting, but have read of people discovering that they are giving them signals, especially when using large coils. Everytime you take a step you have a metal object moving into the field of a large coil.
I even wear a fully synthetic belt!

Even a lighter in my lower pocket had me frustrated for a while as well I suspect some uhf operating near by caused an angry machine.

Jaros said:
Just leave them all at home. I know it feels strange when you forget to put on your rings and watch , to me it feels odd anyway.

Hahhaahahha Jaros, the first odd thing when camped remote, you jump in your vehicle and immediately reach for your seat belt and set off on your 10kph bush bash.
And yes, watch & mobile phone get locked away.
Back in the SD2100 days and swinging the 18" mono I found it was picking up my pick on the hip. From those days onwards the pick has its place on my chest.
** Because majority of targets in the area we frequent are shallow, bedrock about 300mm, a long handled pick is not required. Tried carrying a large pick balanced on my shoulder once, after walking a few hundred metres changed my mind not having a free hand to wave away the flies. :lol:
If a rare deep target is detected, a short walk back to the ute to get the long handle is no problem.

A rare deep 12 grammer a few years back.. Small chest pick in back ground. Also you will note still wearing watch, but swapped to right wrist, I'm left handed.

1578531493_gpx4500oct200812.2jpg.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Martin said:
I have never worn steel capped boots whilst detecting, but have read of people discovering that they are giving them signals, especially when using large coils. Everytime you take a step you have a metal object moving into the field of a large coil.

I have tested it a few times and don't get any interference from my boots due to the way I detect.

Martin said:
Ded Driver said:
Martin said:

I have tested it a few times and don't get any interference from my boots due to the way I detect.

Maybe on hands and knees (praying)? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anniegee said:
Martin said:
Ded Driver said:
Martin said:

Maybe on hands and knees (praying)? :lol: :lol: :lol:
we just slide along the ground like snakes.... keeps the coil clear :(
:p

Amazingly..... you can actually discern the difference between a mobile steelie and a gold ring or a silver coin :D

Latest posts