What Car, what brands do you trust for the Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each to his own. You make the decision, based on whatever sources that you desire, then be prepared to accept the responsibility for use and maintenance of the vehicle.

Having said that I run a Prado diesel and all station vehicles where I have worked have been Toyota, all ex mining use so not easy running, plus the station owners missus drove a Land cruiser as well. Only hassles that I have seen have either been man made, or from poor/inadequate servicing for the conditions. Boss on one station would insist on a daily check of water, oil and tyres (inc. spare(s)), as it would be tough going for you with a breakdown, 80km from the homestead.

Rob P.

What utter rubbish!
Absolutely nothing to do with being a Jeep hater..I'm not, I actually like the Wranglers. Seems like a feeling got hurt, gee wizz...my bad!!

It has nothing what so ever to do with hating Jeeps, it has everything to do with the reality of living in remote WA where 95% of vehicles on stations and mine sites are Toyotas.

Every vehicle will suffer a break down out here, no matter the make. It has all to do with parts availability and service. If your Jeep needed a part in Laverton, it would have to be freighted in. If your Jeep needed a service in Laverton, there's a damn good chance it would need a flat bed lift to Perth.
Not so with a Toyota.

Yep I do maintain my Jap shopping cars, that's why they are reliable and don't tend to let us down.

Incidentally, my personal vehicle is a Perentie. Ultra reliable and go anywhere, much prefer it than our cruisers. But there's no way I would have suggested one as they are not practical for what the OP wants. Again, parts have to be ordered in.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive that distance in USA in my XJ (except fuel bill)
Xjs are like like HQs , Toranas over there. Flip a wreck over and take the diff center out.
But that's simply isn't the case here...
Hence why this thread started......

I have the Grand Cherokee 3L turbo diesel MY15, and whilst the parts are very expensive and selectively available, it's done 160km in 4+ years (much outback - Cape York twice, round Australia etc) and never let me down, so never needed said parts.
Towing grunt is amazing, with good fuel efficiency.
This year I plan on Palmer River and the Simpson. Maybe Harts Ranges and a few others.
I love hearing from Jeep bashers :cool:
Agree with comments re easily obtaining cheap Tojo parts though.

Trust in the OB, anything without a Computer, everything else in the car can be good but if a computer part goes bung you're in trouble... based on experience. Had a $200 sensor go bung in the Pootrol, 800km with no turbo boost and towing a camper.. no fun.

Now a Perentie, load with obvious spares then all you might need is some #8 :)

my work shop in western qld I see a lot of everything broken down Toyotas Nissan ford jeep etc for parts yes Toyota is easy to find and get jeep a few days but not cheap rangers a nd mazda we send them back on the train every week the real reason why Toyotas are popular is there is a lot out this way and every one grew up fixing them they are reliable but like all cars they break down they good point is you can get them going in a day or two but other brands sometimes parts do take 4-7 days to get

CreviceSucker said:
General_Hawkins said:
CreviceSucker said:
Ex govt fleet is what i would buy , from auction ,

Are there websites for that or do you have any examples for me?

Pickles auctions

Grays online

Mannheim auctions

But only buy from auction if you can inspect first.

The best ex fleet will be disposal from Telstra , NBN contractors , SES , Police or similar Vehicles

Dont rush to buy , be patient , watch carefully like an Eagle.

Thank you CS, that helps us alot. Are those Pickles auctions every week in perth? This is where we are planning to start the trip.

Regarding the brand bashing - I don't wanted to start a fight here and I am open to every opinion. But for myself I have to keep in mind, that we "only" have 1 year. On the one hand it's a long time frame on the other it can end quick, especially if the most expensive part of the journey brakes down and pushes you back a month.

Since the majority favours Toyota with 4.2l+, what about other cars from Mitsubishi or Nissan?

/edit

Before I forget about it. What exactly is this Toyota "Prado" model? Is this one also a model we should look after as they are a bit cheaper sometimes? Or is this some kind of a "light / City" version? :)

Skip, the problem with these engines is that the majority of the exhaust recirculation feeds in onto that one piston causing reduced lubrication and overheating. Modification of the exhaust recirculation can prevent this common engine failure.

I'm waiting for mine to blow. But I've gone this far, so had a good run can't complain.

I will say 4x4ing the patrol eats the Landcruiser, and Hilux, (I've had both) one car that went everywhere tho was the Suzuki Jimmy. Not sure if I'd like to cross the outback in one!

General_Hawkins said:
CreviceSucker said:
General_Hawkins said:
CreviceSucker said:
Ex govt fleet is what i would buy , from auction ,

Are there websites for that or do you have any examples for me?

Pickles auctions

Grays online

Mannheim auctions

But only buy from auction if you can inspect first.

The best ex fleet will be disposal from Telstra , NBN contractors , SES , Police or similar Vehicles

Dont rush to buy , be patient , watch carefully like an Eagle.

Thank you CS, that helps us alot. Are those Pickles auctions every week in perth? This is where we are planning to start the trip.

Regarding the brand bashing - I don't wanted to start a fight here and I am open to every opinion. But for myself I have to keep in mind, that we "only" have 1 year. On the one hand it's a long time frame on the other it can end quick, especially if the most expensive part of the journey brakes down and pushes you back a month.

Since the majority favours Toyota with 4.2l+, what about other cars from Mitsubishi or Nissan?

/edit

Before I forget about it. What exactly is this Toyota "Prado" model? Is this one also a model we should look after as they are a bit cheaper sometimes? Or is this some kind of a "light / City" version? :)

Pickles show the auction dates scheduled on their website , you can search for only the location you want and also add request for email notification based on key words such as "Toyota"

Do an inspection or pay someone to do an inspection , NRMA used to do this service if you are a member , i paid $ 150 for inspection report many years ago and they are 100 % thorough but i dont know if they still do it.

One factor not mentioned so far is the number of small 4WD such as Nissan navara , Hilux , BT40 , Ranger which have the chassis snap in half from towing campers or trailers on rough roads in the outback.

usually its from poor weight distribution putting too much weight on the towball but the people i talked to said it cant be fixed with number 8 fencing wire or bubble gum (or mums undies).

1578484739_haaaaaaaaa.jpg

1578484776_haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Skip said:
I will say 4x4ing the patrol eats the Landcruiser, and Hilux, (I've had both) one car that went everywhere tho was the Suzuki Jimmy. Not sure if I'd like to cross the outback in one!

:Y: :playful:

CreviceSucker said:
Pickles show the auction dates scheduled on their website , you can search for only the location you want and also add request for email notification based on key words such as "Toyota"

Do an inspection or pay someone to do an inspection , NRMA used to do this service if you are a member , i paid $ 150 for inspection report many years ago and they are 100 % thorough but i dont know if they still do it.

This is pretty cool. I will try to research that a bit further.

CreviceSucker said:
Prado is a lightweight version of a Troop carrier except with the same D4D engine as Hilux.

Too "light" for our plans or still in the race?

General_Hawkins said:
Skip said:

:Y: :playful:

CreviceSucker said:

This is pretty cool. I will try to research that a bit further.

CreviceSucker said:
Prado is a lightweight version of a Troop carrier except with the same D4D engine as Hilux.

Too "light" for our plans or still in the race?

maybe if you travel light , but 12 months on the road ?

i never owned one so i cant say

CreviceSucker said:
One factor not mentioned so far is the number of small 4WD such as Nissan navara , Hilux , BT40 , Ranger which have the chassis snap in half from towing campers or trailers on rough roads in the outback.

usually its from poor weight distribution putting too much weight on the towball but the people i talked to said it cant be fixed with number 8 fencing wire or bubble gum (or mums undies).

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1578484739_haaaaaaaaa.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1578484776_haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

And the odd few Isuzu DMax's are snapping the diff housing just inside the wheel bearings - about 6 inches (15cm) in.

CreviceSucker said:
ps

The Prado is a slightly smaller version of the Cruiser Wagons (100 and 200 series) but with the 3 ltr D4D engine and I think the newer ones are the 2.8 ltr engine. That's the diesel version anyway. A very capable 4x4 if you are happy with a 4 cylinder engine and parts in outback would not be as easy to get compared to the 4.2 ltr Cruiser utes, troopcarriers or wagons.

Cheers

Doug

PS. I thought the only good jeeps were the ones made for WW2.

For what it is worth my opinion and my opinion only
if it has a computer then leave it at home
If it goes down then you are stuck
at least with a non computer vehicle if something goes wrong the you can at least use the old Aussie fix
"fencing wire and gaffa tape"
i have a 2.8lt non turbo Hilux as far as i am concerned it will go any where and yes ok its is slow but at the end of the day i know it will get me home

BigWave said:
I have the Grand Cherokee 3L turbo diesel MY15, and whilst the parts are very expensive and selectively available, it's done 160km in 4+ years (much outback - Cape York twice, round Australia etc) and never let me down, so never needed said parts.
This year I plan on Palmer River and the Simpson. Maybe Harts Ranges and a few others.

Besides my wrangler I also have a MY17 GC, outstanding car. Quadralift is brilliant and it can drive from port Augusta to port Macquarie without the fuel light coming on.

Buy your parts from rockauto. 5 days to get parts from seppo land to regional NT.
I bought a genuine starter motor and including freight it was $145.
Wasnt worth cleaning out the old bendex for that price.

7.62marksman said:
For what it is worth my opinion and my opinion only
if it has a computer then leave it at home
If it goes down then you are stuck
at least with a non computer vehicle if something goes wrong the you can at least use the old Aussie fix
"fencing wire and gaffa tape"
i have a 2.8lt non turbo Hilux as far as i am concerned it will go any where and yes ok its is slow but at the end of the day i know it will get me home
I am with marksman i have got a 2.8L non turbo 4 runner ,take's me every where i want to go and gets me back home :Y:

BigWave said:

The best 4x4 off road I ever had was a CJ5 Jeep, It was a 3 speed Manual with a Falcon 200 motor in it, bloody thing was lethal if you sunk you Boot In, It would do about 115 mph, Being a 3 speed it would fishtail in 2nd as it went in to 3rd/Top, Being so light it never got bogged, I wish I still had it Now, :Y:

J.

Thank you all! Very helpful overall. If someone has any further insights for us any tipps would be appreciated. :) :perfect:

We will now regularly check out the links you guys provided, try to attend on an online auction (just to see how it goes until we arrive). Would it be okay to provide pictures and asking for feedback every time we find a good ad?

Best,
Oli

Latest posts