What Car, what brands do you trust for the Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oli, this is an example of a 79 series Land Cruiser Troopy with camper conversion in Australia.
This is a newer model unit. Older ones can be found for less dollars.
1578405871_lc_troopy_camper.jpg

CreviceSucker said:
Hi Oli

How many people will be in your group ?

Pick of vehicles below i think Toyota Troopy , You will find over 1 year of travelling you will keep buying more things to carry and the smaller vehicles like Hilux or Navarra are less likely to return you home with extra weight.

Some tips we would give;

carry an EPIRB , they are very cheap now compared to human life
if your vehicle breaks down in outback australia , never leave the vehicle to try to walk somewhere for help.
carry lots of water.
fit a GPS tracker in the vehicle to prevent theft losses , it happens now and then.

Most of the time ~9-10 month we will be 2 persons. and ~2-3 month my Wife and kid are planning to visit us. So a 4-5 seat car would be best to fit the visit scenario but the focus of the adventure is searching gold with just the two of us :)

Thanks for your other tips. We already have them in mind :Y: )

Ded Driver said:
Oli, this is an example of a 79 series Land Cruiser Troopy with camper conversion in Australia.
This is a newer model unit. Older ones can be found for less dollars.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12692/1578405871_lc_troopy_camper.jpg

Hey DD, already saw that ad. Are car prizes in the west driven by seasons? We are planning to start our adventure in August 2020 and last year around July/August when i checked Gumtree and co I have seen cheaper prizes

no Oli, prices are not generally seasonal, although occasional people might sell stuff at a higher price if in demand during, example, xmas holiday time.
Land Cruisers here hold their resale value better than most other vehicles.
some other websites to check out;
www.carsales.com.au
www.carsguide.com.au
www.autotrader.com.au
www.tradingpost.com.au
www.drive.com.au
Be VERY careful of scammers tho if buying privately
A reputable dealer is always the best way to go
A smaller 4WD plus a camper trailer is also a good option

Ded Driver said:
no Oli, prices are not generally seasonal, although occasional people might sell stuff at a higher price if in demand during, example, xmas holiday time.
Land Cruisers here hold their resale value better than most other vehicles.
some other websites to check out;
www.carsales.com.au
www.carsguide.com.au
www.autotrader.com.au
www.tradingpost.com.au
www.drive.com.au
Be VERY careful of scammers tho if buying privately
A reputable dealer is always the best way to go
A smaller 4WD plus a camper trailer is also a good option

I never buy from a dealer , they buy their stock at auctions , tart them up and sell them with a fat mark up.

Ex govt fleet is what i would buy , from auction , then when its time to sell , sell it through CarSales.com

Avoid buying ex mines vehicles at auction because they usually age 2 - 5 times faster and rust more.

It amazes me that people still think landcruisers are reliable. The last few I had were shockers and I will never touch another one.

Toyota are also using the same supply chain methods of all the other makes.

Grey's online . You can get the app now on your phone.

I've got a 2001 Nissan patrol with 375000 on the clock and just did a 5000km trip in 35-40c temps running the aircon flat out everyday, + running fridge and phones on top of that. (Tho being a 3lr turbo diesel and supposed to have engine problems, most get a crack in the head or blown out 4th piston from the turbo punching to much air into them, change the oil every 5k ) ive found the Nissan out performs my old Landcruiser in the bush. But as for getting parts in the west id be taking the advise from people that live there.
Skip

General_Hawkins said:
CreviceSucker said:
Ex govt fleet is what i would buy , from auction ,

Are there websites for that or do you have any examples for me?

Pickles auctions

Grays online

Mannheim auctions

But only buy from auction if you can inspect first.

The best ex fleet will be disposal from Telstra , NBN contractors , SES , Police or similar Vehicles

Dont rush to buy , be patient , watch carefully like an Eagle.

Something else to think of , Pickles are now selling ex army Land Rover and Unimog trucks.

The Unimogs currently sell between $12,000 to 30,000 depending how smart or how dumb the buyers are.

Several years ago when Grays Online had the army sales contract , two people paid $70,000 each for a Unimog because they thought there was only one of them for sale.

There was 2400 Unimogs to be sold , with around 300 still to come to auction.

They range in age from 1983 to 1994 models , top speed is only 90 km hr unless you fit a CLAAS transmission upgrade.

I don't mind my old 97 XJ jeep. Knock it around a bit in the bush without stressing. Did a few up grades, rear auto diff lock susspention etc. Gets me out in scrub here pretty good.
But I wouldn't ever even consider crossing the boarder in it!
I carry a heap of electronic spares at all times.
Rather spend $400 on new spares, than a $400 towing bill.
The work shop manual is always left in it!.

After choosing a vehicle, do research of parts compatabiltty with other models.
And write them down in your notes section of the workshop manual.

Jeep and Toyota even shared the same gearbox. With very compatible small interchange needed.
It's just very handy to familiarize yourself with your vehicle.

Skip said:
Grey's online . You can get the app now on your phone.

I've got a 2001 Nissan patrol with 375000 on the clock and just did a 5000km trip in 35-40c temps running the aircon flat out everyday, + running fridge and phones on top of that. (Tho being a 3lr turbo diesel and supposed to have engine problems, most get a crack in the head or blown out 4th piston from the turbo punching to much air into them, change the oil every 5k ) ive found the Nissan out performs my old Landcruiser in the bush. But as for getting parts in the west id be taking the advise from people that live there.
Skip

Skip, the problem with these engines is that the majority of the exhaust recirculation feeds in onto that one piston causing reduced lubrication and overheating. Modification of the exhaust recirculation can prevent this common engine failure.

Shep said:
It amazes me that people still think landcruisers are reliable. The last few I had were shockers and I will never touch another one.

Toyota are also using the same supply chain methods of all the other makes.

Yeah, but wreckers are full of Toyota parts due to write offs and dumped Toyota's from communities.
Can get what ever you want asap for a Tojo in the NT
Try getting bits for a VW when you are at Lagamanu...

Never really had a problem with reliability with the Toyota 4.2 diesels, there's a reason they are arguably the most popular station vehicle with some out here having close on a million klms or more on the clock.

If you do bust something, town or a local mine site will have it or you'll find what you need on a wreck at the tip or at a station.
Bust a part on a Jeep and it will have to be shipped in from Perth or over east.

As per normal there are lots of Jeep haters so will just comment once more. My car just gets used for fossicking and I dont muck
around where I go.
I live in regional NT and never had an issue with parts, had landcruisers for work cars and it was never ending issues.

Anyone that runs out of fuel can only blame themselves, I can do an easy 1000km between servos without carrying extra fuel.

I have done 170000km of pretty much just bush work and
its still on the original wheel bearings and not once has it let me down.

Plus being able to drive around bogged quads while towing my van is a bit of a bonus.

Enjoy maintaining your jap shopping cars and I will stick to seppo quality.

Latest posts