Home made rock crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Alex
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I thought i'd share my petrol driven rock crusher.
It's a 11hp Honda driving the crusher and the crusher chamber is about 250mm in diameter.
I got my ideas from the "Reeds rock crusher" that is found on the reeds prospecting shop website.

1383435371_dscf2060-optimized.jpg

Crusher mounted in a roll cage. I should have mounted it on rubber bushings but I was in a hurry so it will do for now as is.
1383435403_dscf2062-optimized.jpg

Crushed quartz rock

Was very simple to build and works very well. Can easily take 2-3 inch diameter pieces of quartz no problems. Was very cheap to make. The internals are similar in design to the reeds version, hardfaced leading edges on the crusher fins. I have photos of assembly if anyone is interested.

That's genius mate. Any chance of seeing a video of it in action?

I've got some Quartz here that needs crushing and was thinking about making a Dolly Pot, but a petrol powered rock crusher sounds like the go.

hi alex
I would also like to see some more photo's of your set up, it looks great.
thanks for showing us.
regards trashmagnet

Nice piece of home build machinery Alex, would be interested to see the assembly pics :)

Awsome results, am also very interested in seeing the build photos and the rotor setup inside the drum

I think this will be the next walbanker lol

Thanks guys.

1383522500_img_1361.jpg

Crusher finished and ready to be mounted
1383522573_img_1362.jpg

The housing apart, bottom half showing the perfo outlet.
1383522638_img_1363.jpg

Top half of crusher with the rotor in. I havent hardfaced the fins yet. The fins are 8 x 40mm flatbar. The shaft is 20mm with two 20mm self aligning bearings. The fins were tacked together in two packs, a 20mm hole drilled and then the to packs were split and fitte onto the shaft. You may need a hydrualic press to get some of them on. The flatbar fins are 200mm long.
1383522890_img_1365.jpg

Close up of the coupling. It is very important to spend the time aligning the two shafts even with a flexible rubber coupling. This was taken just after I tacked it togther in the correct position. The vice grips are holding the crusher to the base ready for the mounting holes to be drilled. I chose to directly couple the shafts together. You may choose to do something else like belt drive.

The inlet and outlet portals have been fabricated from 1.6mm sheet steel. The inlet is 80mm wide by the crusher width which i cannot remember, around 120mm-140mm. The outlet portal is 100mm wide by the crusher width. The crusher housing is 3mm plate. If you were to make anything bigger than this one i'd reccomend using a thicker bit of plate.
The roll cage it's mounted in is from a old welder generator.

Hunting the yellow, I think i'll have to leve this as a once off. If you have all the equipment avalible it's not too hard to do yourself, just takes time. It was just lucky that I had materials avalible because all in all the total cost to my pocket for this project was $30 for a length of flatbar. But if you went out to buy all the stuff I used you'd be looking in the $$$$'s.

The next project on the board is to get the jaw crusher going. It's up at a mine in storage, will be collecting it in a few weeks and will be mounting a motor up to it a bit later on.

where you have flat bar for impact bars , some people use chain instead

this allows for deflection so you dont bend a shaft in case of a bit kryptonite getting fed through the crusher

even stuff like jasper or black quartz is rough tough and wicked on crushing equipment

if you use chain you would use grade 80 or better , not the garden variety galvanised grade < 30 chain

looks like it produces a beautiful fine grind :)

thats awesome Alex ive been wanting to build something like this but haven't seen any internals to date, looks like it could really do some damage. good luck on the colour

wow mate thats awesome! well done, god im out of practice with my welding, ill have to get some more practice in before i go making one :D

HeadsUp said:

this allows for deflection so you dont bend a shaft in case of a bit kryptonite getting fed through the crusher

even stuff like jasper or black quartz is rough tough and wicked on crushing equipment

if you use chain you would use grade 80 or better , not the garden variety galvanised grade < 30 chain

Hi HeadsUp are you refering to something of this type?
1383535350_chain.png

Not my, its of the net
1383536857_cfront1.png

1383536933_cfront2.png

1383536966_cback.png
1383536995_cback2.png

HeadsUp said:

I have seen them and also swinging hammer types but opted for this because the "reeds crusher" also uses it so I just assumed this will do the trick. There's a big swinging hammer type out the front of the workshop, one day I'll get that going as well.
She'll be right for now anyway, if she wears down i'll just hardface it again and keep using it. I don't reckon my perfo screen in the bottom will last all that long but I will just have to see how she goes.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll work on a video in the next few weeks and maybe a few more photos like the hardfaced bars etc.

Hey Alex
Thanks for putting this up, it has answered a few ??? it is so much easier when you see things to understand what go's on.
Looks like an easy build for my skill level LOL

Great job Alex. I think you would easily build this Lee, your builds are top notch.
Good luck with the rock you feed into this beast..

Cheers, Tone

joe said:

Hi HeadsUp are you refering to something of this type?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/175/1383535350_chain.png

yup

not sure about those fasteners holding the chain on though

Alex: love the rock crusher. what is the rpm that you use with the gas engine? You said your next project is the jaw crusher. did you built this your self?
I am trying to built a jaw crusher myself - do you have plans or photos of your jaw crusher?
thanks,
wyo1934