Stringers. Ore deposit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some south NSW finds

1577597707_2019-12-28_13-24-47.jpg

Thanks guys the detector was going nuts so I'll have to crush and see what's happening with the signal

I don't know enough about this game to answer you alex, or enough about any detector other than a GPX 5000. But it seems a shame to smash it up for such a piffling amount of whatever is. Although in saying that it's kind of hard to get an idea of the scale of things. How big is the rock, and how thick is that band?
Maybe ask Goldierocks or some of the other more knowledgeable members on here if there is some other non-destructive way of ascertaining what it is.

The rock is a good 8x8 inch by 3 deep band is about a mm running right through it. Found with a gold bug pro and checked with a minelab gold monster both said gold. Found at the goldfeilds

Hi Alex,

The first pic I thought did look like gold, the second one is questionable.

The Gb and the Monster aren't saying it is Gold, they are saying it is non-ferrous. Lead, aluminium, gold, etc, etc all coming under the non-ferrous umbrella.

Goldierocks or another geo might be along at some stage to give you a better idea of what it is without having to smash it.

The specimen in the first pic looks great - would be a shame to smash it :Y:

I hope at least some of it is gold for you ;)

Rockhunter62 said:
alexbunyip said:
Why is my detector telling me it's gold?

Don't think anyone has made a detector that will tell you that it is 100% gold. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the manufacturing of them.

Cheers

Doug

I do understand this...

madtuna said:
Basic rule of thumb....if you have to ask yourself "is this gold?" then it usually isn't.

Have you seen the different types of gold ore out there? Does that include electrum? AuHg2, Au2hg and Au3Hg ore?

sulphides mate....fools gold is one of them....can you see in one of the pics they look squareish in shape? sulphides generally have a 'blocky' structure.
They will also set off a detector.

Crush it up...pan it off.....look at it with a loupe and then you will know for sure.

Latest posts