Clodmaster's finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
Mmmmm.... could be an older spot within the older spot :p

I hope so silver. I've been reducing my recovery speed on the Nox to try and get some more depth and slowing down my swing. Has been working to a degree. I found nine halfpennies yesterday which I'll post shortly and something else unexpected with a big blue stone in the middle! I'm beginning to dig lower numbers as well now, whereas before I was just digging 18 and above.

So this is most of what I found yesterday at my favourite spot - the honey hole that is still yielding a few drops of honey. Apart from a solitary thrip and a few buttons, yesterday was halfpenny day (nine all up ranging from 1891-1919), but I did find something else a little different. Not sure if it is a real gem or just a piece of glass. I think it is silver plated, which makes me think it is more likely glass. Still, it looks impressive and was a nice surprise coming out of the ground. I might post it in the gem section to see if any of the gem nerds have an opinion.

1578025102_img_20200101_210827.jpg

1578025102_img_20200101_211431.jpg

Take it to a geologist/jeweller and get it appraised if it's a true gem :gemstone: you could get a value for it to.

Sandta said:
Looks like could be marcasite in the setting , so probably not junk :Y:
But a bit too big and clear to be a true sapphire

Hi Sandta. I actually dropped in at a jewellery shop today. They told me that they would have to get it appraised by a gemologist to determine if it was a gem or not. But they did say, as you point out, that there was marcasite in the setting.

From a couple of days ago at a spot I'd covered in the past. There was a really trashy section that I didn't spend too much time on previously. Decided to discriminate out everything below 17 on the Nox as I was just looking for predecimals. Worked and I scored a number of thrips and a sixpence in a spot which was too noisy to detect in before. I think the round thing next to the spent cartridge is an old bell worn around a cat's collar.

1578298543_img_20200105_210029.jpg

Goldpick said:
Well done on the silvers and the little fob watch winder! :Y:

Yep, I like finding those little winders. It's quite a plain one but is still a good reminder of a time before the digital world took over.

Quick but productive swing at my local spot. Didn't hold out much hope as I feel I've covered all the likely spots. So I decided to try an unlikely spot. Scrubby, muddy, near a creek and with lots of modern junk in the ground (canslaw nirvana). Was pleasantly surprised to pick up my oldest ever coin for this location, an 1861 halfpenny with the date nice and clear. Also picked up a 1917 shilling in great condition. There's also a 75-year Anzac commemoration token. So all up a very productive hour or so. Just goes to show - you never know what you're going to find.

1578558215_img_20200107_211542.jpg

1578558215_img_20200107_205436-collage.jpg

1578558216_img_20200107_222621-collage.jpg

1578558391_img_20200107_204653.jpg

Out for a hunt yesterday. There was a festival at my favourite spot, so I had to improvise and go elsewhere. However, found a few bits and bobs, including an Australian Commonwealth Military Forces badge. I'm not sure of its date, but thinks it's more likely to be from around WWII or thereabouts.

1578786069_img_20200111_211034.jpg

1578786069_img_20200111_211234.jpg

You're right Sandta. Can't complain about the festival as I wouldn't have found the badge if it hadn't been on!

golddiggerart said:
Nice one mate, so will you go and do the festival grounds? :D :Y:

Most of the festival goers were in their late teens or 20s. I'm thinking I'd be more likely to find an iPhone than a coin!

A quick 45 minute swing last night at my local. It was a beautiful evening - I was out as the sun was dipping down towards the horizon, the light was soft and the temperature cool but not cold. Thought I'd go over some old ground as we'd had a good dumping of rain for the first time in a long time. I think because of the wetter ground some new targets were revealed. My favourites were a nice old penny (1874) and a decorated draw handle (at least I think that's what it is).

1579252297_img_20200117_065246-collage.jpg

1579252047_img_20200117_194339.jpg

Interesting handle, almost looks like a belt. I'm glad you guys have had some rain at last, I reckon the hard ground has prevented a lot of the members from getting out and about over the last few months. :D

golddiggerart said:
Of all the Victoria's those are my favourite ones. :Y:

Yes, GDA. It had a lovely green patina when it came out of the ground. It's a good feeling when you see a young Victoria on a coin.

Latest posts