Clodmaster's finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Thought I'd start a cumulative thread with some of my more interesting finds. I detect in parks and at the beach in Victoria. Like the rest of you, I try to get out when I can, often at unsociable hours so that I can get an hour or two of detecting in. My passion is history, so I'm most interested in predecimals, old jewelery and other bits and bobs that take me back to a place and time.

Anyway, enough of the bio. I went out for a swing yesterday and snagged a couple of 50s thrips, a 50s penny, a girl guide badge and other assorted metal. But the star of the day was this silver belt buckle ring. From my reading of the hallmarks it is sterling silver (lion), from Birmingham (anchor) and made in 1876 (letter D). I think the maker's name is A.B. & Co, which could mean it's made by A.Bromet and Co, though the maker's mark doesn't exactly match the ones I've seen online.

Has anyone else ever found a belt buckle ring? Apparently, they were mostly made in Victorian times and signified a strong connection to whomever you gifted it to.

The great thing about a find like this is that it makes my wife happy. It's a ring that she will enjoy wearing. And when I next say, "Do you mind if I go out for a quick swing so that I can find you a ring?" there is actually a precedent that I can call upon!

1577251016_cleaned_and_worn_2.jpg

1577250923_hallmarks_close_up.jpg

1577250923_maker_s_mark_close_up.jpg

1577250923_out_of_ground_close_up.jpg

1577250923_silver_buckle_ring_1876_close_up.jpg

Well done mate .The ring is an awesome find.
There have been a couple found on here over the years.
I look forward to seeing your future finds. :) :Y:

Nice ring, silver. Going by the hallmarks in your original thread, it is from Birmingham (anchor), sterling silver (lion) and the date I'm not sure. The 'a' could refer to a number of different dates. Did you end up banging it back into shape?

Hi everyone. I went for a quick one hour swing last night to my regular haunt which has provided a steady flow of finds over the past few months. I pulled the pin after 45 minutes not because I was having a bad run but because I wanted to get home and clean up a couple of interesting finds. In order of importance, I found:
  • couple of two cent pieces (the intact one is a Kiwi coin)[/*]
  • couple of goldies[/*]
  • Tocumwal Gold Club marker (no, I wasn't digging up the golf course)[/*]
  • seriously toasted halfpenny - 191x[/*]
  • nice thrip from 1922[/*]
  • 1916 Anzac medallion to commemorate one year since Gallipoli I think (given out by Dept of Education in Vic)[/*]
  • 1911 King George V and Queen Mary coronation medallion in gilt bronze[/*]

I found the two medallions in the same hole. The TID on the Nox made me think it was another two cent piece, so I wasn't that hopeful as I dug the plug. Lucky I checked the hole, otherwise I would have left the Anzac medallion behind. These are in better condition than the pennies and halfpennies I normally find at this site, so I'm guessing they haven't been in the ground for 100 years. And, yes, I managed to nick the edge of the coronation medallion!

1577427141_img_20191226_203605.jpg

1577427140_img_20191226_202327-collage.jpg

1577427141_img_20191226_212847-collage.jpg

Went back near the spot I found the silver buckle ring. Found a few bits and pieces. Two pennies, two halfpennies, a couple goldies and some interesting pieces of metal. Oldest coin is the 1919 penny. Most interesting find was the watch face - can't quite make out the maker's name.

1577533496_img_20191228_220108.jpg

1577533496_img_20191228_220209.jpg

Hi all. Managed to spend a couple of hours at my favourite spot yesterday. A couple of good finds including:
  • two Victoria thrips, one from 1879 and the other from 1901 I think (though it's hard to read even after a good clean up)[/*]
  • a nice 1947 florin that came from a spot I thought I'd covered before (just goes to show)[/*]
  • a couple of pennies and halfpennies (the halfpenny in better condition is from 1939 which is considered a scarce date)[/*]
  • Skipping Girl Vinegar bottle top, which is quite iconic if you're from Melbourne[/*]
  • a 1918 City of Warrnambool badge which was made to commemorate when Warrnambool was given official 'town' status[/*]
  • a Paul Duval make-up lid (to the right of the Skipping Girl top) - I had to research this a bit, but Paul Duval was a Melbourne make-up company around in the 50s[/*]
  • various buttons, metal and modern coinage[/*]

All in all, a good little outing. Nice to get some older silver.

Too hot to detect in Melbourne today unless that cool change hits early...

1577669930_img_20191229_203430.jpg

From a couple of days ago. A mixture of beach and bush. Bush was what used to be a honey hole for me - a really good spot where I only find pre-decimal coins. Now I have to work hard to find silver, as I think I've pretty much exhausted this spot. But today I was in luck. My big find was an 1845 (or 1846 perhaps) sixpence. This smashes my previous earliest silver coin finds that were all in the 1870s. Chuffed.

1577953269_img_20191231_095019-collage.jpg

1577953269_img_20191231_110312.jpg

Latest posts