WW2 camp/training area find! Now to find the family!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys, i found another beauty, went off the tracks into the bush ( silly idea as its snake city around here) and found this WW soldiers Id disc/dog tag/meat ticket.
Already found alot of info about him and family at the time but because he was from NSW it might be pretty hard to track family down but i wont give up.
Always happy to have help from you guys too if anyone wants to help....
What a find. Soldiers ww2 Id disc by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Saint Ives show ground (north shore Sydney) was a compound during WW2, had old barracks, rifle range. Held Italian people during the war I think.
Urban myth after the fires in early 1990s, many items where found hidden not far in bush (ku-Ring-Gai) from soldiers hoping to recover them post war.
Rifle range is not far from the Rangers onsite home, down a track. Barracks where mostly cluttered about 150m in from front gate.
Ranger lives onsite, ask first but.
Unsure of the answer given.
Found about 1000kg of dope tipped there, and a dead body.....
So you might never know.
One of Australia's underworld figures used it as stash area as well. :eek:

You beauty jackpot! Just got off the phone with family of this World War II digger. They are absolutely blown away by this and cannot wait to get it in their hands. They have his original slouch hat and World War II medals and this is the icing on the cake to go with it all. I have just sent all the photos of me digging it to have been cleaned up. Ill be sending him the video of the find as well. Ive printed off a copy of the certificate in laminated it for them to. Thanks so much to Nicole Edwards for the information to contact the family!

1577153831_img_3760.jpg

I am subscribed to your Youtube channel with all notifications ,but no notification has been sent to my email about the video you put up last night . I only came across the video by accident while browsing youtube.

Happens with other channels ,sometimes. Just thought you might like / need to know , Tailor Marc .

just starting said:
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel with all notifications ,but no notification has been sent to my email about the video you put up last night . I only came across the video by accident while browsing youtube.

Happens with other channels ,sometimes. Just thought you might like / need to know , Tailor Marc .

Hey mate, cheers for the heads up . Yeah not to sure whats going on there

Well everyone, posted it registered and express post yesterday and the family should have it today! Im hoping to get a picture of the soldier very soon and will post it up as long as family done mind me sharing!

That is absolutely brilliant, it is fantastic you went to the effort to return it to the family. Great to see some happy news amongst all the fire devastation.

Latest posts