Nugget Finder DDX coils information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 25 dd loaner for a week and Im travelling out to some noisy areas where there are occasionally big nuggets found. Is there anyone who might be willing to share some pointers on setup.

My only experience is running monos.

Any help appreciated. Will share any successes on return.

Thanks.

Andrew50 said:
Hello all. I have a 25 dd loaner for a week and Im travelling out to some noisy areas where there are occasionally big nuggets found. Is there anyone who might be willing to share some pointers on setup.

My only experience is running monos.

Any help appreciated. Will share any successes on return.

Thanks.
It is likely the coil will run just fine on the following settings;
Factory preset on back panel. On front panel - DD (try Mono first), Fixed, Normal, General (try Deep first).
Once you get the detector quiet try to raise the Target Volume to get some more crispy target response. On noisy ground it helps to lower the Stabiliser to reduce the warble in the threshold.

I took one to the West this year..On the 4500 it ran very quiet on Sensitive extra..with a high Rx gain..Did an air test with a crushed can the size of your palm at 5 feet..Didnt find any big ones ..but did find a .3 of a gram..close to the surface..I dont know how they handle EMI, cause in the West there is none..But very good in hot ground, Very noisy in Normal settings..But in Sensitive extra or Enhanced extremely Quiet..If its noisy switch from Fixed tracking to Tracking..It May run a lot quieter..I also run my stabiliser on 6. All the time..

I borrowed one last Saturday for the day, running it on my 4500.
I found it very noisy running in Normal on Inkerman Vic GT mineralised ground. At the start I was digging mineralised ground that sounded like a deep target. Had to back the Rx off to 7 and Stabiliser to 8, Quiet Audio, and running it in Medium Tracking made a big difference. On these settings it was usable but still a bit chatty. It was much better in Enhance, but that to me was defeating the theoretical potential depth gain of running a DD in Normal.
I tried it because I wanted to compare the DD 25 X-Search in Normal versus my 19 Evo in Enhance on mineralised ground, thinking the DD may handle it better. Ill stick to the 19 Evo as it performed better, in my opinion, and is a hell of a lot lighter for my poor old back.
Oh, and the 25 DD is a little too big for the shaft and wobbled around and felt unstable. In fact the bolt that came with it was stripped from people before me over tightening trying to get stability. Fortunately I had another bolt and nut to use.
This is purely my experience and opinion and leave everyone to have their own. Cheers

It certainly isn't a tall guys coil. If you have to extend the lower shaft too long it flops around like an Eel in the bottom of a tinny. I'm a short A (5' 6") which helps some, plus I took the heads up from Nenad on one of his earlier posts, by shifting my 5000 control box as far back as I possibly could to help counter the weight. Then, I inserted an aftermarket Long series lower shaft further up the standard upper Minelab shaft to help reinforce the stability of the whole thing. I should add also that I use a control arm always with my large coils, along with a bungy and a Hip Stick. I couldn't imagine using this coil without all of the above :argh:

Use the Custom High Mineral mode as a starting point. Normal, DD, Tracking (Medium) Don't be afraid to lower your Gain if required. You won't lose depth on big bits.

Slow or Medium motion - I never run a DD on very slow.

In my limited time on it, running it in DD it picks up less emi than the 19 evo.

Hi guys, I know the 25" DDX has been out for a while now but there was mention of a 19" and 15" to be released at some stage.
The NF website just mentions there will be more sizes released in 2019 but the year is coming to an end pretty fast.
Any news on the release dates or is anyone testing them in the field yet?

Cheers.

Hey mate, as it's getting close to the end of year, and Nugget Finder will be closing down for the year in a couple weeks, don't think we'll see any new DD coils until 2020.

Ok thanks Nenad, I've been waiting to see what the weight of the 15" would be but will have to wait a bit longer then.

Latest posts