Pump buggy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting to old to be carrying pumps 100's of meters up the creek.
So I got some 16" solid tyres. $50 ea. Should jump most obstacles.
1574805949_20191127_083854_resized.jpg
Lighter than imagined.
The rest of the frame I had laying around in scrap except for the 25mm axle and housing $15.
Removable handle for transport. Balanced nicely for the rough going.
Easier now to service and get at parts.
1574805994_20191127_083903_resized.jpg

1574806023_20191127_083928_resized.jpg

Modified the outlet for a smoother flow with less restriction.

A bit like you are, we have spent the last few days trying to sort out our fire fighting gear. Felt that we had it all sorted over the years with water and pumps and hoses, but as the dam is now down a fair way on previous years the hose that was good when the dam was full now only reaches in a short distance in and is too close to the bottom, so have to put on an extension to get to the middle, also found that the pumps weigh a lot more this year, made up a quick trolley out of an old golf cart as we only have a short distance to get to the dam and have 2 pumps to move, always like a backup just in case.

Have spent a lot of money (for us) on 2 X 50 meter hole reels as I got sick of the hoses laying around and then having to carry them and then they want to tangle and twist when trying to run them out, also invested in the proper fire fighting helmet and clothing for both of us and a couple of led head lamps to save us tripping over things during the dark. The hose reels will always be in place on posts, one facing to the south and the other to the north so we can cover sheds and house without having to drag hoses from one area to another. Have generators to run the underground system as it is assumed that the power will go down very quickly. Also have scuba gear put away in a safe place just in case things get a bit more hairy and 2 way radios, not that they were of any assistance during the 2001 fires. Think we are a bit better prepared this year. :/ :/ :/

Graham

When it comes to the crunch of needing a pump to start straight away... I would back an old pump that ran 20mins a week than a new one!
Pumps vary heaps. Yeah they all pump water.....
But when it comes to fire fighting....
Life and livelihood... $$$ are worth it.
But don't expect even a good Honda to start second pull with old fuel and no maintenance!

Agree 100% mudgee hunter, we have a number of pumps that have been accumulated over the years, 2 of which are dedicated fire pumps, Davey about 35 years old and an electric start my son calls a 'chonda' chinese copy honda and we have learnt to read 'chinglish' in the instruction books. All the pumps we have have a dedicated job with their own hoses, while some of them may not put out a huge amount of water they are big enough for the job allocated and are easy to start. Know that if things are going to go wrong they will, Murphy's law.

Our pumps get rotated on the job of pumping water from our front dam to two 1000 litre containers for the wife's flower gardens, which are all away from the house, so during the warmer months they all get a good run and have never had one let me down because of old fuel, but thinking for next year might look at a diesel electric start double impeller as the fuel does not go off as quick and can be stored safer, but the unit is a lot heavier to handle. I am going to try some of the fuel stabilizer to see if that helps over the winter months to keep the petrol for a longer period.

Yes LW we are hoping we will never need it either. In our 2001 fires we were not very well prepared at all and luck was that the fire split at the end of our road and went down either side of the road in front and a road behind and left a small green island with about 15 houses untouched. I am not thinking that will happen again.

Graham

You're not going to rent that out thru that place in Orange you had a go at last year for its highbankers are you. Must be for all those Vic trips where the use of pumps is legal. Lol

I've Never had anything to do with Orange, or even gone there prospecting related. think your confused about that part.
Still totally legal in nsw to take a pump to the creek and and have a water fountain!
Who let you back out the box! :lol:

mudgee hunter said:
I've Never had anything to do with Orange, or even gone there prospecting related. think your confused about that part.
Still totally legal in nsw to take a pump to the creek and and have a water fountain!
Who let you back out the box! :lol:
Apologise s it was 4.76sniper that didn't like the highbanker for rent. But what's a NSW forum member doing showing (telling) us all that you use a pump. Someone's gotta be the antishanti Fountains Yer right, just admit publically that you still high bank.

I don't have admit anything to you. But admit I think you should get back in the box!
And lock the lid!
Permanently :lol:

Apologises, wrong bloke about Orange. But WTF fountains, you really want people to believe prospectors are djcks? The world is my sandbox.

I think you need to go to Bunnings, buy some timber, build a bridge and get over it :lol:
Always one clown in every circus......
And look who pops up.....

Tathradj said:
RUOK Gimp. ?? :8
Never better, just don't like when people blatantly defy NSW fossicking regs on an open forum, not a good look for our hobby.

Was wondering when the would chime in. Personal attacks showing your true form now. How about addressing this issue ~ your post is flouting the regs.

mudgee hunter said:
There is still time to get to the chemist and get a repeat script if your out! :bomb:
Love it. You are wheeling a pump 100s of metres up a creek to make fountains, bud I think we can all see who needs the meds

Latest posts