Black Hill - Ballarat Gold Mining History - great spot for a wander

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Took my dog for a walk today over to Black hill and had an explore around, followed some quartz veins and some iron indicators round the place and thought i'd share, its such great visit you can really get a sense of what they were doing back in 1860, I found an adit to the independent mining co they did alright too by my maths 2.7 ounces per tonne of ore, might be convinced to go in there with some backup.
PROD_COMM = Gold;
PROD = 8839.000; :p
PROD_UNITS = oz;
ORE = 24441.000;
ORE_UNITS = t;
DEP_TY_SP = Vein hosted -
HOST_LITH = Sandstone;Shale;
didn't want to clog up the forum with masses of photo's so its in a gallery here Hope you like it.

http://s193.photobucket.com/user/oldmatefroth/slideshow/Black Hill Mining

Hi GOlddig
Some great historical photos in that lot, really loved the Jones Stereoviews, I collect these, have quite a few by Jones but that particular one.
Great area with some tremendous mining history.
I'm always amazed at the very little that remains at the Australasia No 1 outside Creswick, such a major mining disaster and just a mullock heap, some old Iron and small sign to remind us.
Cheers Tom

Hey Tom, glad you like the gallery mate, im a nutter for old photos i've got them printed all around my office it reminds me that the work i do doesn't come close to how tough the old diggers had it.

sure is a shame how these things are forgotten but its up to us blokes to show young crew so they can pass it on I suppose, it was number 2 that had the big disaster mate, no 1 is a bit closer to town http://www.creswick.net/buildings_and_places/australasia_mine

I'm sure that could be arranged, not too many are directly related to mining but overall Victorian or Aust stuff in general I have heaps, around 1000+ Stereoviews albeit some are a bit boring and repetitive. Any specific interest? Not sure how to get them on here (have been using the iPad while travelling) but probably OK from the laptop at home or I could email to you and you can select what may be of interest to others.
Cheers Tom

great post Golddigg and the gallery was impressive. Thankyou for referring to 'an iron indicator'. I think it was at Ballarat where the first observations were made about indicators by a blokes son? There are three schools of thought on this - yes (majority), no and what's an indicator. I am a yes man.

Teemore said:
I'm sure that could be arranged, not too many are directly related to mining but overall Victorian or Aust stuff in general I have heaps, around 1000+ Stereoviews albeit some are a bit boring and repetitive. Any specific interest? Not sure how to get them on here (have been using the iPad while travelling) but probably OK from the laptop at home or I could email to you and you can select what may be of interest to others.
Cheers Tom
im into any records of how people lived in victoria during establishment I suppose. check out photbucket mate its by far the easiest photo hosting service I use you can load whatever you want up there and share stories like I did above

loamer said:
great post Golddigg and the gallery was impressive. Thankyou for referring to 'an iron indicator'. I think it was at Ballarat where the first observations were made about indicators by a blokes son? There are three schools of thought on this - yes (majority), no and what's an indicator. I am a yes man.
thanks loamer, i'm not actually sure of the first indicator record I am aware that around 1872 reef mining took over from alluvial in the area so I assume it was identified some time prior to that.

I wasnt aware that there was a debate on indicators, I use indicators relevant to the respective belts in my area on a daily basis, without it i'm sure i would not be as successful in prospecting. Ballarat hosts some of the most obvious and distinctive indicators Ive seen I've certainly debated with some about north south v's east west reefs and some say the that the indcator is ble and some say red :) but we all know they are tried and true.

there's a great reference that i read from time to time here http://www.prospectorspatch.com.au/eshop/pages/Finding-Gold.html

Great Link!!!! Should be mandatory reading.

The debate is that the indicators are coincidental, bit like where there is quartz there is gold which is not always true. I went to a discussion some years ago where several Uni lecturers debated the matter with some very experienced prospectors. The lecturers were looking at the micro biology of gold which is still ongoing. I will say this, I have found good gold using indicators never found one using micro biology. From my study the first one found or named was indeed the Ballarat Indicator. The indicators were used to follow certain belts of strata etc. I still get quite happy when I see the indicators and the associated bed characteristics - like the different coloured slates. Found a beaut little reef not long ago and sure enough dug down and hit the slates and quartz intersection - followed it to the next quartz layer and gold was present. It was the pitted blue slates common around Dunolly. If you can get a copy of the Victorian Prospectors Guide and handbook - it has a list of indicators across the Vic fields. I have listed as many as I can and then use the list to check the new areas I am in - great for hunting new ground.

Thanks again for the link and pictures - much appreciated.

hey loamer i imagine that would be a short debate ;) like you said try to apply micro biology in a practical manner to discover gold v's reading the indicators tried and true. Ive got a copy of the Victoria prospectors, was the first book i bought when i moved back to Victoria in December last year. I need to track it down i ahve a habit of lending these things out and they dont seem to be boomeranging back lately.

Maybe we could start a thread on indicators...

Good pics GD, I've been past Black Hill plenty of times & have been going to go for a look but never have. I've looked on Google Earth but you can't see much on there, will have to get up there now & check it out after seeing your pics. I know this is an old thread but thanks for posting.

Assuming the red is what you're interested in here Atomrat?

My understanding is its to do with redbed sedimentation due to the ferric oxides i'm sure someone alot smarter than me can provide a better explanation as my research on the area was concluded some time ago.
www.ga.gov.au/corporate_data/14266/Rec1989_030.pdf
Here's a reference i have in my research file for this area maybe you can find some answers here :)

Latest posts