Is this the last generation of opal miners?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see a closure of the Mintabie scale happening on all the Opal Fields one day... This is just one way of closing them down, next will be the Indigenous route..

LW...

LoneWolf said:
I can see a closure of the Mintabie scale happening on all the Opal Fields one day... This is just one way of closing them down, next will be the Indigenous route..

LW...
My wife is an ambo. A short while ago she had to attend to a lady who has recently moved from Mintabe and has lived there for 20 years. She said the locals number about 20 now and the local indigenous are burning places down. She said a big mining company is taking over the town and also that what is really happening isn't being reported. I'm surprised Not.

In theory, this can be solved, but it is necessary to make sure that everyone knows about the problem. Can I tell the media to send a reporter there?

No, too late as they have had the opportunity to Report the REAL issue, but so far they have been silent... Plus Mainstream Media are usually NOT welcome on the Opal Fields... Opal Miners don't want the attention of misconstrued 'Stories'...
Its too late now to save Mintabe...But all the other Opal Fields are in Danger of going the same route...

Here is 1 of many reasons WHY the Government wants to shut these kind of places down.... Most Opal Miners pay No tax.... Its A 'cash' money Industry for most...

Do you have 'Friends in High Places' Daniel J ? :)

LW...

Most opal miners don't make any money.

If they want opal miners to declare income the have to allow them to average income like other primary producers. But the opal industry is small and the government doesn't give a stuff. Australia is no longer the land of opportunity for the battler.

Young people don't want to be opal miners, the work is too hard and the return too low.

We need new big opal finds to encourage new miners into the industry, and provide the funds for exploration. Won't happen if opal miners don't have land access.

Latest posts