Funny if it happened to someone else

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had my head on a poly pipe on the ground trying to hear if any water was flowing down it when I felt a sudden sharp pain on the back of my neck, and then my fore head. So happends I had put my head right in on top of an Inch ant nest :awful: So there I was rolling down the hill through the bushes like a mad man trying to brush the little buggers off. Afterwards had the thought it would have been hilarious to see it happen to some one else :lol:
1574299934__aaa0795x-l.jpg
no prize for guessing how big inch ants are ;) anyone have any amusing experiences like this to share ?

We have the 'bullants' here which I think are similar problems, both the red and the black variety along with ticks, know how you feel, have been got at a few times. Couple of years ago had very itchy arms, do not know why, but prescribed "Antroquoril" and have found that it works on tick and mosquito bites, have not had to try on the ant bites as yet. Any bite I get seems to still be irritating about 1 week later, but with the above cream all gone in 24 hours.

Graham

I walked out on to our verandah one hot summers night about two years ago to watch the sunset only to step on one of the buggers who bit me on the big toe. After a few choice expletives and hopping around like a whirling dervish I spotted said offender skulking away, one solitary inch ant off to tell his mates about the bastard he sorted out.
Within an hour the big toe was even bigger!
I feel your pain.

Ha sorry GF but I wish I had of seen that! :lol:

I see plenty of those aggressive little so and sos in the GT and one particular evening we got up close and personal. They call them inch ants but they get much bigger than that as the locals know. I came across the biggest version of them Id ever seen so of corse I poked the nest with the coil just to see them in action. :eek: Sheez those ones were big! I thought walking away, not realising that a couple had climbed onto the coil, made their way up the shaft. A minute later it was an assault on my stomach, through my shirt. F#%kn Jesus :skull: as dropped the detector and tried to flick them of while they tried to bite my fingers. Welts for days after.
Ps. Try not to tease them!

LoneWolf said:
Ouch.... I got done in the never regions by Green Ants (sat on the nest) :/ .... Balls the size of plums for a few days... :mad:

LW...
:lol: Had something similar happen to me when I tried to take a descreete pee in Weipa by sneaking behind a mango tree and leaning against its trunk. Was midstream when they attacked !

Copped a bull ant on the inside of my little finger on a PA camp near on three weeks ago and the end of the finger is still numb. Cheeky little prick knew what he was doing, waiting in ambush on my stubby holder.

I remember a couple of years ago sitting under a tree having a lunch break, when something got up my shorts leg.
I could feel it crawling away and hurriedly got up and dropped my shorts trying to find what ever it was when it nailed me right next to the O-ring.

Still not sure if it was an ant or whatever but it hurt like hell for a good two weeks and I looked like I had a Baboons bum. Had to hose my pooter and wipe it with cotton wool balls for the first week at toilet paper killed!

Jeff said:
Ha sorry GF but I wish I had of seen that! :lol:

I see plenty of those aggressive little so and sos in the GT and one particular evening we got up close and personal. They call them inch ants but they get much bigger than that as the locals know. I came across the biggest version of them Id ever seen so of corse I poked the nest with the coil just to see them in action. :eek: Sheez those ones were big! I thought walking away, not realising that a couple had climbed onto the coil, made their way up the shaft. A minute later it was an assault on my stomach, through my shirt. F#%kn Jesus :skull: as dropped the detector and tried to flick them of while they tried to bite my fingers. Welts for days after.
Ps. Try not to tease them!

I have had nugget sounding targets in close proximity to their nests, the detector seems to get them angry and defensive? Was retrieving a target once, felt something on my leg, looked down to see a dozen or more on my boot and sock and crawling up my leg? Retreated quickly, filled in hole with pick and left maybe a 0.4 grammar there! Don't like those buggers.

I was working on the roads somewhere inland and someone made a shop run for lunch which netted me a pie + sauce + can of coke, drank half the can and left it in the shade while I talked with some fellow workers, came back to the can and shortly after upending the can into my mouth I felt an odd mass hit the roof of my mouth followed by some pain, spat everything out pretty quickly but the bee had done its work well. Took me a little while of scratching with a finger way back in my mouth to dislodge the stinger and in the end my mouth/throat swelled a fair bit and the taste of bee bum was gross.

Glad I am not allergic.

Ouch

Clearing lantana and shrubs off the fence a few years ago and unwittingly disturbed the paper wasp nest.
Got 3 bites around the left eye
Jumping and yelling (swearing profusely) in thongs mind you.
Jumped straight into drain next to the fence and got done by a redback

Seriously tiniest redback I have evr seen stuck between thong and foot
Bugger of a thing took nine months to heal after the staph infection

So yep I feel your pain as well...

Yep , ive got a tale of woe myself
Long story short .... far north QLD, bloody hot as hell, wearing a pair of stubbies only , i climbed a coconut tree to fetch a few
Screwed off the first one, as im twisting the second one , i got showered in angry green ants
That wasnt the worst of it though... as im getting bitten , i slid down the trunk and ripped the skin off my inner thighs
Those ant bites were the least of my problems

Climbed through a fence that had slack wires but I had a hot one (electric fence wire) around waist height. So me being smart and taking a short cut climbed through under the hot wire only to catch the bottom wire with the cuff of my strides all the while taking up the slack. The wire dislodged with full strain hitting me smack in the crown jewels with the instant pain I took a deep breath and my head went as red as a tomato while at the same time I arched my back attempting to contort the pain and then I felt the wack from the electrified wire burning my shoulder. No kidding I was rolling around for a while wishing the pain away and trying to calm my breathing once I got that under control I gingerly made my way to the car and drove up to the house and went straight to the fridge and drank it dry :beer:

When I first started detecting, I'd never heard of inch ants. I learned quickly. I was digging a target when I first saw one. Filled the hole in and resumed detecting ,when all hell broke loose. I got an unbearable stab of pain on my scrotum, like I'd been shot there at close range with a shotgun.My wife likes to tell this tale at BBQs etc, She says to her audience. Try to imagine a grown man doing a combination of the highland fling, break dancing and river dance, all at the same time with his pants around his ankles! It was purple for about 3 weeks,with skin flaking off it, and itched insanely for about 2 months. I now give them a wide birth if I see them!