Minelab Safari tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogger

Joel
Reaction score
Just got a Safari. I have my fingers crossed that she will put up a good hunt (beach-wise) over my 705. Will wee how we go! Fingers crossed. 8) Any tips from fellow safarians?

One thing you will notice on a FBS detector is how much slower your swing speed will need to be vs a single frequency VLF. Fast swing speeds may miss deeper targets, or give incorrect target ID's, so you'll need to slow right down over the target to get an accuate ID, especially in junky areas. Also try to hit the target at different angle to gain a more positive ID as well.

Also remember your Safari will also run the same factory and aftermarket coils as the Explorer and Etrac, and if you don't already have one, get a high capacity rechargeable battery pack and charger from Minelab, as FBS detectors will chew through alkaline batteries at fair rate. :)

Frogger, the difference between a safari and a 705 on wet sand is night and day. Larger coins you will get at twice the depth with the Safari.

Coiltek were doing a clearance on the older (non-waterproof) 10x5" coil for ridiculous cheap price, well worth adding to the Safari for better balance and better performance in parks, and keep the open web for wet sand and open areas.

For the beach i'd recommend Relic mode, and use the highest stable manual Sensitivity setting. That's it, turn on and go - very simple, powerful machine.

Did you get the Pro pack with the rechargeable battery pack included? If you are looking to get some high capacity rechargeables, I stock the 2900 AccuPower NiMH's - will give you plenty of run time.

Best of luck

Any luck with the safari? I'm enjoying the 705 but have had to stay clear of the wet sand so much despite correcting the settings.

Hi guys I purchased a new Minelab Safari on Wednesday :) . I'm now back in the hunt for coins and jewellery looking forward

to tomorrow to take it out for a swing. Does anybody have the target ID's that they would like to share with me and the forum.

cheers Rob

today between showers i decided to try my new safari in a small park ive already done with my 705 ( still love it) lo n behold i ended up with $4 in coins all down 10 to 12 ins where my 705 hasnt reached It will take a bit of getting used to but have to admit it does go deeper than i thought. So the learning process begins getting used to the new numbers compared to what the 705 gets

Safari is one of the most underrated machines! I just wish it had variable tones. A 4-tone mode like the X-Terra's have would be nice.

Good choice flyrodder. Had my safari for two years now and still going great, bought a small joey coiltek coil for poking around shrubs and pushing into tight spots.
Only wish they added a display screen light for night hunts.

Hawkey said:
Good choice flyrodder. Had my safari for two years now and still going great, bought a small joey coiltek coil for poking around shrubs and pushing into tight spots.
Only wish they added a display screen light for night hunts.
your right my 705 has one coudnt understand why the safari doesnt

any one using a safari that has settings they find useful and could share as im just trying to get used to it. Its a lot different than my 705

If you get a lot of conductive iron in the area you are detecting (high tone iron signals using conductive tones ), it might pay to change from conductive tones to ferrous tones. This will allocate low tones to items with high a ferrous content, and make it a bit easier to pick out good non-ferrous coin targets from the mix.

It seems that many of the more experienced owners run in all-metal, with just some of the iron discriminated out, and go mainly off the tones (similar to what I would have run on the Explorer), though being a new user, it may pay to use one of the preset programs at first before going down that route. At the end of the day it is all down to personal preferences on a suitable setup, someone else's settings may not be suitable for your ground or style of detecting.

You can use the high trash setting for areas that require a faster response (high density iron/junk areas), and low trash for relatively clean areas or on the beach. Low trash should offer a liitle more depth ability over high.

Unlike the 705, you will need to utilise a slower swing speed to get the best out of an FBS detector, swing too fast and you will miss targets, especially deep ones.

I'd just dig a variety of non-ferrous targets to start out with, just familiarise yourself with the tone responses and to gain some confidence. There is no real substitute when learning a new machine for a decent chunk of hours in the field, just as with any detector.

Andy Sabisch did have a handbook out for the Safari and Quattro, not sure if is back in print yet, as it was in the process of being revamped for re-release. Might pay to email him for an update (see link).

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,2255312

Goldpick said:
If you get a lot of conductive iron in the area you are detecting (high tone iron signals using conductive tones ), it might pay to change from conductive tones to ferrous tones. This will allocate low tones to items with high a ferrous content, and make it a bit easier to pick out good non-ferrous coin targets from the mix.

It seems that many of the more experienced owners run in all-metal, with just some of the iron discriminated out, and go mainly off the tones (similar to what I would have run on the Explorer), though being a new user, it may pay to use one of the preset programs at first before going down that route. At the end of the day it is all down to personal preferences on a suitable setup, someone else's settings may not be suitable for your ground or style of detecting.

You can use the high trash setting for areas that require a faster response (high density iron/junk areas), and low trash for relatively clean areas or on the beach. Low trash should offer a liitle more depth ability over high.

Unlike the 705, you will need to utilise a slower swing speed to get the best out of an FBS detector, swing too fast and you will miss targets, especially deep ones.

I'd just dig a variety of non-ferrous targets to start out with, just familiarise yourself with the tone responses and to gain some confidence. There is no real substitute when learning a new machine for a decent chunk of hours in the field, just as with any detector.

Andy Sabisch did have a handbook out for the Safari and Quattro, not sure if is back in print yet, as it was in the process of being revamped for re-release. Might pay to email him for an update (see link).

thanks goldpick i realize practice makes perfect anyway any info always helps

No problem, even though I don't own a Safari, I thought I would give it a shot considering there were no other replies to your question - can't be too much different from the Etrac and Explorer, just simplified if anything. ;)

The Safari is't exactly the most popular FBS detector in Oz, most go for either the Etrac or CTX, it seems to be more widely accepted in the US. You will probably get more detail on the settings etc on forums like Findmall, where they have a seperate section for both Safari and Quattro users.

I probably would have purchased a Safari if it were not for the run-out special Minelab had at the time on the Explorer SE Pro, it was actually listed cheaper than the Safari. :)

Goldpick said:
No problem, even though I don't own a Safari, I thought I would give it a shot considering there were no other replies to your question - can't be too much different from the Etrac and Explorer, just simplified if anything. ;)

The Safari is't exactly the most popular FBS detector in Oz, most go for either the Etrac or CTX, it seems to be more widely accepted in the US. You will probably get more detail on the settings etc on forums like Findmall, where they have a seperate section for both Safari and Quattro users.

I probably would have purchased a Safari if it were not for the run-out special Minelab had at the time on the Explorer SE Pro, it was actually listed cheaper than the Safari. :)
thanks for that info moderator i will check out that site

Goldpick said:

thanks moderator went to the site you suggested and it was very helpful it gave me some good info so once again thank you

flyrodder said:
Goldpick said:

thanks moderator went to the site you suggested and it was very helpful it gave me some good info so once again thank you
after a few practice runs i took the safari out to Brighton beach n after a few minutes found my first target n had to dig down 15inch to find a 20cent piece next target came at just over 12in a $2 coin a little bit further on another $2 coin at just over 10in n mylast find a 5cent piece at nearly 14 in so very impressed at the capabilities of the safari at finding deep targets.

So just purchased the Minelab Safari as my first Metal Detector.. had my first run in the garden trying to work it out (first time I ever done this so I am a real fresh fish). To be honest I am not sure at all as to what I should be looking out for numbers and sound wise.. was just trying to dig any strong signals I was geting.
Found old screws and eroded metal pieces but nothing exciting.

So by just doing a quick look here in the 'Minelab' there does not seam to be much posts about the Safari... in fact scrawling past page by page I can not find a single topic about the Safari... how come no love?
And are there ANY users on here who own and use the Safari?

Would love to hear back from you.

Kind Regards

/Don :)

Latest posts