Howdy folks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm from Hampton Park in Victoria (next door to Cranbourne, gateway to the picturesque Mornington Peninsula) and just starting on the prospecting journey with my two young boys (ages 7 and 9).
The boys are both obsessed with the game minecraft and have been badgering me with mining related questions for months. I told them to look up gold panning on YouTube and they stumbled upon the Vogus Prospecting channel, they absolutely love the videos and have watched just about all of them.
To encourage them I picked up a mine lab panning kit and we headed to Anderson's Creek in Warrandyte a couple of weeks ago, was a miserable day weather wise but we found a few little flecks (and lost most of them again when
one of the kids decided to have a play with the wrong jar) and the kids were super excited to see real gold in the pan (so was I).
We're now on our first gold hunting trip out in Castlemaine, I hadn't realised how little water there is out here so panning was a problem yesterday, we ended up filling a bucket with what we thought would be some likely pay dirt from near the monster meeting area and taking it to a river near Irishtown to pan it out. Sure enough we found a few nice little flecks so it was cheers all round :)
Up early this morning, going to take them to sailors creek near Daylesford and surprise them with the sluice I'm hiding in the back of the car!

Bit of a long intro but there you go. Thanks very much to all of you who post such great info, it really helps!

Welcome aboard
Id love to see the look on their faces
Sounds like a great start to some fun times outdoors
Hope you get heaps ;)

Hello r055c0,

Welcome to a very informative forum. I also try to drag family members along to anything I do and try to make a humorous contest out of it to add to the enjoyment overall. For example if I take anyone fishing I claim I will catch the first fish, and if anyone else gets the first fish I tell them they are not coming next time. All in good fun and in no way serious.

Not much joy in finding the golden stuff today but we got the sluice and ourselves wet and had a good time so that's a win in my book :)

Thanks for the welcomes!

Oh yeah, when they saw the sluice the eldest one said "that's awesome! now we don't have to give you one for your birthday!"

I should have cleared this purchase with the missus...

Gday r055c0
welcome to PA....pretty new here myself...great forum though...lots of good people and lots of info and help.

Ive had awesome help setting up my sluice....today went n bought all the stuff to make a Blue Bowl so yay...

Now - if I can just find where the Gold is hahah......
:goldpan: :koala: :perfect:

Latest posts