Reasons I Can't Find Any Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hAyyoUinAU

Rick
Reaction score
"Why can't I find any gold?"

This is a question many people have asked. And the answer is quite simple.

Assuming you are putting in the effort, research, and trekking many a mile, the lack of gold finds can sometimes be disillusioning.

But maybe, just maybe, you are actually not doing anything wrong. It is very possible that you just have not swung over a detectable piece of gold.

There are many places where there has been a lot of gold found, yet you can be pressed to even find a trace.

Persistence is the key.

So simply put, Why have I not found gold yet? Because you probably have not walked over it yet.

If at first you don't succeed, try try try again. And remember one thing, the easy to access places are the first places everyone will look.
You can find gold there, but you need to look a lot harder. A lot harder.

I would say 20% research, 20% equipment 20% effort , and 40% luck. That is the gold game.

I hope this helps anyone out there who has been having a hard time finding some shiny.

Cheers

People are basing their expectations on TV Gold programs and staged U Tube Videos.
The harsh reality is prospecting is hard as the ground has been searched by 1000s of Miners and gold not getting replenished. :poop:

If your wanting to make money, try investing in something?
If god hobby is not for you take up advanced basket weaving or Bingo. :idea:

diggit said:
So how big was the piece you found that inspired this thread? :p

P.s. I agree fully with your post :perfect:

They are never big enough my friend.
I am just feeling it for those that try very hard, honestly and seem to find little reward or success.

Sometimes its purely just a numbers thing. And that one day you decide to give it a miss and not go out, that is the one day you were probably going to find the "Big One"

:D

diggin4gold said:
If I put in the effort to find gold, there's no luck involved.

Your effort is not rewarded with gold. If so every time you put in effort, you would be rewarded with gold. This is where chance comes into play.
You can lower or increase your odds. But it is still a numbers game.

Low and slow is good advice if you are going over flogged out areas, but who wants to go over flogged out areas? well, obviously those that for various reasons have no other ideas or inspirations. Slowing right down means that you may cover less than a tennis court area in a day. If that what turns you on, then good for you.
A good prospecting detector has a fast reaction to signals which allows you to move over country at a reasonable pace and still get a very sharp signal at speed.
If low and slow is the doctrine for you, then you are a fossicker and not a prospector.

It all depends I guess.

If you are patch hunting, or just general hunting then it is a toss up between covering as much ground accurately and trying to get the mileage in.

So yeah.. if I am just checking out a small area, then low and slow.

But if I am prospecting, then I have to keep on the move, and that unfortunately will mean I can not cover all the ground. So I try to cover the low lying areas, and the flat spots. These areas tend to to be where the heavies drop out. But I move.

Last trip out I spent more time walking and climbing than I did detecting. Its just the way it is.

fossicker or prospector u have to learn to crawl before you can walk thrashing a coil and running threw the bush wont find you to much
for a newbie fossicking or prospecting you need to research your area and take your time knowing your machine is a must

Reg Wilson said:
Low and slow is good advice if you are going over flogged out areas, but who wants to go over flogged out areas? well, obviously those that for various reasons have no other ideas or inspirations. Slowing right down means that you may cover less than a tennis court area in a day. If that what turns you on, then good for you.
A good prospecting detector has a fast reaction to signals which allows you to move over country at a reasonable pace and still get a very sharp signal at speed.
If low and slow is the doctrine for you, then you are a fossicker and not a prospector.
Yep I agree with this....I patch hunt medium pace, trying to find the first bit. Once you get the first bit, then its low and slow to see if there are any more bits around or if its an orphan....

Your luck will increase with more time spent out looking in the right areas.

So you can make your own luck in that sense.

One thing is for sure, Gold is never found sitting at home. :)

Great discussion. :Y:

kingswood said:
Reg Wilson said:
Yep I agree with this....I patch hunt medium pace, trying to find the first bit. Once you get the first bit, then its low and slow to see if there are any more bits around or if its an orphan....

Orphan....lol.

I like that one.

hAyyoUinAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:
Think luck plays a huge part in it. Good posts!

Yeah....that is why I put luck at 40%. Agreed
luck is part of it but how many people buy all the gear hit the fields and don't find anything some even say years before they find any gold some just give up and call the flogged area card like every job or trade or skill you need to put the hard yards in to get somewhere.
you may be a natural with the detector and do well first up or struggle with it but being persistent with it and learn something new every trip you will get there

I don't believe luck pays as big a part as many think. The guys that find gold find it for a good reason. They do their homework. I'd say 80% goes on research and 10% decision making once on location and 10% on luck.
Goliderocks explained it in detail (somewhere on here) why gold is found where it is.

G'day

Many of the easy accessible and well known places are considered flogged but will still produce some gold, but its a case of a bit here and a bit there sometimes, in these places you just have to do the hit and run spending a short time here and there and keep moving about from spot to spot raking up whatever you can, gold is easy to find if its there so give yourself a short period of time, and if you don't do any good then just move on to the next place.

Unfortunately gold is not like mushrooms and does not grow back, when its gone its gone, and most of the easy stuff has already been taken, sure you can snag the odd good piece if you really persevere in a place but that's only if you have the time to spend, but if you are on limited time then move about and hit as many spots as you can in the time you have.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts