G'day all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading through this forum a fair bit over the last couple of years and thought it best I get on board and learn a bit more about this game.

I'm Steve, from (far) west Gippsland.
I've got a love for Aussie settler history and how gold has shaped our towns and the people in it. So a few years back I try my hand at panning.... no colour. So I try again.... still no colour. Wrong place? Wrong gear? Wrong mindset? Probably all 3! Well, at least the leeches had a feed I thought.

Then one lovely day I head to Slaty creek, full of info from this forum and internet searches etc. and what do you know..... gold!!!!
I found it!!! All by myself, I was over the moon, pan after pan of it. Not alot, but it did include a little picker. Since that day I've been unable to kick the fever, so I gave into it.

So I've now got a fair bit of prospecting gear, a 4wd, a dodgy knee, a golden glint in my eye
and I head out when I can. My 2 kids and running a business come first, but when the stars align I hit that road, car packed with all my gear and I'm shin deep in water before my missus can say 'will you be back for dinner?'

I'm keen to ask stupid questions to increase my knowledge, learn from the people who know and if I'm lucky there may be a nice one that my eyes are the first to see.

Cheers all.

Latest posts