QED Use/Settings - Review of Each Detecting Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day All

I got my QED back yesterday, so today I took it out for a test, before hitting the Gold Fields. My QED required a custom tune to filter EMI. My default setting for SMR is now 109 where all other QED has a default of 107. I also got the latest Firmware update that lows the required number for GB and negates the need to GB after a Mode change.

I rang Brian who as always was more than willing to pass on as much info as he could. He explained the reason for the firmware update. As spoken about by other QED Users with the previous Firmware 220 or above was required to GB. Brian did not like the fact that the GB number was so close to Maximum. So the new Firmware put GB lower.

So my settings before the tune up at the same location: Sadie Coil

GB : 225
THS-B: 55
THS-A: 30
Gain: No higher than 2 before detector became unstable
Mode: 1
SMR: 107

After Tune-up & Firmware: Sadie Coil

GB: 110
THS-B: 52
THS-A 65
Gain: Depended on THS-A setting. THS-A at default Gain of 10 no problems. THS-A at 65 Gain 6 no problems which is optimum for depth.
Mode: 1
SMR : Custom Default of 109

My QED is now firing on all cylinders. On my best settings I was getting approx. 700mm above a bottle top on the surface of the ground.

Again my thanks to Brian and Howard for their prompt diagnosis and tuneup. NO better customer service anywhere.

Cheers

Mirrors, the latest update was the introduction of DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) This is a new ground balancing system, and if your GB has a 0 -300 range then you have the latest configuration. If your range is 0-200 then there is a later version, and you would do well to have it updated. The improvement is quite remarkable.

i love watching you clowns play around with these new lcd detector settings lmao.

i just turn a knob.

listen, there is no magic setting

every single patch of ground is different.
the more you rely on your technology
the less in tune you are with what your actually walking over. and contrary to what you think the less you know about your machine.

metal detecting is not rocket science its actually very simple. the detector industry like any industry is trying to sell you something year in and year out. something new truth is there is nothing new. they just market it so you think there is. dont be fooled kids

OrangeNugget, Could be you do a bit too much turning of your knob. Your condescending attitude tells us nothing about yourself or your success in gold prospecting.
By the way you use 'your' correctly and then go on to use it incorrectly when in the second application where it should be 'you're'.
If you expect credibility then at least learn how to spell.

OrangeNugget said:
i love watching you clowns play around with these new lcd detector settings lmao.

i just turn a knob.

the less in tune you are with what your actually walking over. and contrary to what you think the less you know about your machine.

metal detecting is not rocket science its actually very simple. the detector industry like any industry is trying to sell you something year in and year out. something new truth is there is nothing new. they just market it so you think there is. dont be fooled kids

Just wondering OrangeNugget, are turning your knob or stroking it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

OrangeNugget said:

i just turn a knob.

Except that QED owners get free upgrades for the life of the machine? Kind of debunks that myth you're throwing out, at least in the case of QED

Hello All

Well I went out to Dukari GPA for a day trip 2 1/2 hrs there and back. Long day. This is my first time in the goldfields since getting my QED back. 6 Hours Total. Wanted to play with the setting to get a feel for different combos. Found two pieces of lead 10g and 6g they didn't really jump out at me considering they where in the top layer of soil 1st scrap.
I am unsure of my settings as I am yet to find a target that is more than a cm underground. All lead and other metals (In the top layer of dirt) because of this it is making it hard for me to know if I am getting any depth. Hence me playing around with the settings all the time

I have the amended Firmware update so my GB numbers may appear low compared to AUG 19 update
So today GB was anywhere from 95 - 126. It was hard to tell if I was truly GB as there was very little change in tone across the range

I used different combos of setup to see how it effected the QED.

Factory reset

Sadie Mode 1 worked on all combos
11" Detech Ultra stuck to Mode 3-4
Gain. I tried to maintain Mode 6 throughout, but in doing do I had to have a strong threshold noise
THS-B Null found after Gain set to 6 was from low of 40 to High of 70 Null = 55
THS-B Null found before Gain moved from default low of 44 to high of 62 Null = 53

So avg Null was 54 regardless of Gain

THS-A was the apple that upset the apple cart in every combo I used.

If I set THS-A after Gain and left it at default the QED was basically silent. Right up to Gain of 10. Raising THS-A to 40 the hum started 65 hum was to loud
If I set THS-A before gain 65 was still silent. Raise gain to 4 hum kicked in, Gain 6 again to loud

In the end I used the QED in what I will call noisy and silent setup
Detech Coil

Noisy:
Mode 3
THS-B Between 49-52 Enhance small targets
Gain 6
THS-A Between 45-55 depending on how loud the hum
GB 109

When I say noisy the tone is not a constant even hum, it is wavy with random beeps through out

Silent:
Mode 3
THS-B 49-52
Gain 6
THS-A default
GB 109

When I say Silent I was getting a lot of random beeps, but these are quite distinct from a target signal

When using the QED I like the fact that I can make it silent, to achieve this either Gain is low or THS-A is low. I am unsure as to the effect on depth.
I need a good test patch. I need to find somewhere near my home and copy the coiltek patch in target size and depth

Thanks for putting up with my reviews. Writing these is helping me gather my thoughts

In this video when Gain is raised to 3 is what I am calling the random beeps in vid called interference. So now after what I experienced today this video make a hole lot more sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1GPMFHzWFM&t=153s

Dave63 said:
I need a good test patch. I need to find somewhere near my home and copy the coiltek patch in target size and depth

In this video when Gain is raised to 3 is what I am calling the random beeps in vid called interference. So now after what I experienced today this video make a hole lot more sense

In the QED video tests at the Coiltek test patch over those buried targets using a CT elite 11" mono the settings were B at Null, A raised up to the maxinium at 90 and Gain raised up to the maxinium at 10. These maxinium settings are NOT realistic for the type of ground where I detect whereas the video that you refer to are and make a whole lot of sense to me also.

Question for Goldman or Howard

QED Pitch adjustment is this Threshold or target adjustment.

Why I ask. I have hearing loss and Tinnitus. Threshold pitch adjustment will give me better Threshold target id

Pitch is the same as tone. High or low. The older you get, the lower the tone works for you as with age you lose the reception to higher pitch.

Trip to Durikai GPA today. 3 Mine locations 8 Hrs of swinging. Two lead bullets, wire and rust all targets on surface only required a scrap (Boot) to move.

Setting today
Detech 11" Ultra

Factory Default - Hum started straight away

Best results for rest of settings

THS-B 54 ( Null is 55. Tested as Suggested turned THS-A up to 80 and Changed THS-B until most quiet point = 55) Normal up to highest 65 lowest 47 so Null 55 both ways
GB around 100 most of day at some point could not GB unless Gain on 1
THS-A 40 to 65 Depending on noise I could put up with
Gain 3 most stable up to 6 to much EMI noise
Mode 3 Lowering Mode made noise worst Raising no change from Mode 3

If Gain was on 6 THS-A 40. If THS-A on 65 Gain 2 max

Still a lot of intermittent EMI with coil on the ground and moving.
Did open air test with a piece of .8g gold I have. Best distance I could get about 2 inch. On top of the ground ranged from two inch to having to have coil rest on plastic vile to register.

At max depth of test Difficult to tell difference between EMI and signal. I could only tell because I could see test target.
From what I can see on all the Youtube Vids everyone elses QED seems to be reacting differently to mine

If I was digging down to reveal rubbish targets I wouldnt be concerned as Its only a matter of time to hit yellow, but everything I am finding is sitting on the surface

Dave63, I don't know bugger all about the QED, but EMI can vary throughout any day, & from day to day.
A GPX can have its bad days with EMI too.
I think you need to have a crack at the same spot a couple of days apart, using same coil, & see how it goes

It seems your making it way too complicated mate, you need to head out with another user, or watch those training videos outside with machine in hand. Cheers Noel.

Hi Dave.

It doesnt sound like youre having much fun unfortunately.

Which coil are you using? Do you have another you can try? Even someone elses?

If the unit is Factory Defaulted at start up then I would think it should be silent, not humming. That is a bit of a red flag to me.

Which audio set up are you using? Aftermarket Bluetooth or the supplied speaker?

Depending on if youre setup is close enough to mine we might be able to FaceTime a session and look at each others startup procedures. Might help to diagnose an issue :Y:

Latest posts