Has anybody had experience with Lambert gems Bangkok?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everybody, last weekend I found my best sapphire (public spot in Oberon) and I wanted to get a ring made for a friend to say thankyou for drawing me some art a while back. Due to the stone not being worth much, I was hoping to go somewhere affordable to get it shaped and made into the ring below. Does anybody have any experience with Lambert's Gems in Bangkok or recommend anywhere?

Cheers

1573500918_img_20191111_0715492.jpg
1573500928_screenshot_20191112-0632462.jpg

It is more likely that the stone will come out as either a small emerald cut, a small pear or a .80ct square. You are well advised to find a cutter because for the size, and as all cutters will charge at a carat rate, even under a ct attracts a ct charge, the end price will be minimal compared to sending to Lamberts and having them send it back, plus paying import costs (perhaps), plus, not getting YOUR stone back, they may have one they 'prepared earlier'.

Thank you for the advice, definitely don't want to risk a 'prepared earlier' scenario, given the intended sentiment of the piece. Do you have any estimations for ball park prices I will be looking at in Australia, specifically Canberra/Sydney?

There are gem cutters on this forum that could give you an estimate of finish cut size.

Anyway nice find! I'd love to find a stone like that.

Skip said:
There are gem cutters on this forum that could give you an estimate of finish cut size.

Anyway nice find! I'd love to find a stone like that.

Excellent, I will try and find somebody here, and it would definitely be a bonus if they can set it in a silver ring as well.

I am sure you will find some nice gems, after all they are just sitting there in dirt waiting for somebody to dig them up.

Pat Hogen said:
It is more likely that the stone will come out as either a small emerald cut, a small pear or a .80ct square. You are well advised to find a cutter because for the size, and as all cutters will charge at a carat rate, even under a ct attracts a ct charge, the end price will be minimal compared to sending to Lamberts and having them send it back, plus paying import costs (perhaps), plus, not getting YOUR stone back, they may have one they 'prepared earlier'.

Hi Pat, I have been reading all of the threads here about gem cutting and couldn't help but notice you seem to be the veteran on this forum. I know this question is like 'how long is a piece of strong's with respect to who I go to, but from your experience, what kind of price do you think I would be looking at to get the sapphire cut and put on a silver ring? And what cut would you recommend?

Thank you in anticipation,
Snow13

Lamberts are having major issues ATM... Somebody poached a few cutters from them and that had caused all sorts of Dramas for them...
If it was my Stone, I would find a cutter on this Forum... You will be waiting for well over 6 months if you chose Lamberts....

LW.....

Snow13 said:
Pat Hogen said:

... what kind of price do you think I would be looking at to get the sapphire cut and put on a silver ring? And what cut would you recommend?

Thank you in anticipation,
Snow13

Price for cutting: depends on the cutter ( I will send you a pm for a cutter in Sydney), approx. $45
Price for silver ring: Look up silver settings once the stone is cut ie - https://www.gemcuts.com.au/sterling-silver-cast-ring-settings

Shape: talk to your cutter to decide if you want an emerald cut for, colour, or a square/rectangular cushion cut, for sparkle. A trilliant is nice and bright but the shape of the rough determines weight retention and shape, also any inclusions in the stone will shape your design though yours appears to be clean.

Snow13, do a search on Wally69 on this forum, he's a Sydney based cutter and you'll see some of his work in a variety of threads. The stone looks pretty but small, don't forget you will lose 2/3rds of the stone during cutting unless it's the perfect shape for a design.

Dihusky said:
Snow13, do a search on Wally69 on this forum, he's a Sydney based cutter and you'll see some of his work in a variety of threads. The stone looks pretty but small, don't forget you will lose 2/3rds of the stone during cutting unless it's the perfect shape for a design.

Thanks for the tip Dihusky, I have talked to Wally69, he actually gave me some tips which led to me getting the gem itself! My preference would definitely be in keeping as much of the stone as possible, and hopefully the design just follows. But obviously I am pretty new to this bit, so all advice is really appreciated

I've had good results with lamberts in the past but that was on 1kg parcels of topaz. Very slow to finish the job (approx 8 months) but the result was acceptable for a commercial job.

I could cut that stone for you but unfortunately we have moved home recently and all my gear is still to be unpacked.

You could try Lefty. He's a memeber here and does a great job. Just use the member search and drop him a PM.

I've heard that Lamberts has lost some of their top cutters so things may not be as good as they used to be. :/

A colleague now sends his stones to SriLanka, they cut on Sterling machines not Jampegs so stones are a lot more accurate. He went over and trained a number of the cutters in Srilanka so knows they have the ability to do good work.

That said, I haven't used his cutters so this is only based on knowing Ed, his experience and abilities.

If you want me to contact him and find out a bit more, please PM me.

Latest posts