Giantz Pump for Sluicing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all...
im considering purchasing a Giants Water Transfer Pump to use with a Highbanker Sluice.

Its a 2-inch High Flow Petrol Water Tank Irrigation Pump 4-stroke 210cc 30,000L/hour.
(hoses not included)

Now being a total noob, would this be the right size pump to use with an 8in Highbanker w/ dream mat? or is this size pump overkill?

Regarding hoses - im looking at flat 2in hose (blue) but it has no connectors attached ....
is it advisable to get the hose WITH connectors already attached? if this be the case id assume local pump/irrigation shop could assist there.....

thanks in advance for any help :pickshovel: :koala:

Everyone has a different budget, expectations, etc.
Actually I believe having both is great.
My 12" banker runs fine at half throttle 2.5hp 95cc. With 40mm.
But soon dies in the bum when it comes to lift, losing a lot of pressure etc.
But even it becomes a bit of a task carrying it 300m.

No way I would even bother carrying a 5hp+ that far unless shared.
But if you don't have to carry it that far.....
Pumping up hill, proper high banking.... excellent.
Or it can just be working at low revs.... a bonus.

Those little light Hondas are excellent if you are not pumping to high etc.
More than enough for 8inch.

But also comes back to preference of how you want your "spray bar configuration".
High pressure/ yet lower volume (ideal for hard dirt and clay)
Or volume/ lower pressure (More for wet river gravel)

Red lay flat is far superior to blue, and with the coin extra.
And black poly camlocks are much better to use than alloy.

Doesn't hurt to ask in "members meet ups" to see what pumps are capable of first hand, befor investing.
I can't speak for the brand. Most Chinese pumps have similar/ same engines!
Pump / housing/ impellers vary a bit more so.

But a cheaper lighter pump can always be bought later on..... best to have both if budget is fine with it. :perfect:

Thanks mudgee hunter..

I ended up going with the 4stroke 8hp 2" Giantz...
I know of another person who uses a Chinese brand pump and they've had it run without issues for years..
good value and plenty of lift..also comes with the black poly camlocks im pretty sure..
runs for hours just above idle too from what I know..

As for carrying it long distances (if I have to) im rigging up basically what is a removilist trolley so I can wheel it around easily enough.
Keeping it in place with tie-downs while en-route then simply remove and set up...
(sounds good in theory haha...)

will look into hoses later this week...
Picking up a Highbanker Sluice later today so really looking forward to that.... :cool: :pickshovel:

Those bigger engines cold, without key start can be an effort at the very start of the day.
Usually easier to get them to kick over for 20secs without being hooked up, as the impeller/s can create a bit of drag on the pull start.
Don't forget to put oil in!!
Dump the new oil after the first 8hrs.

Small wheels don't cut it well in gravel river beds.
Bunnings/tool king have an array of axles etc. Consider larger wheels 10" that can be slid onto the axle, with simple R clips for retainers.
I'm guessing your axle will need to be similar to your Wheely bin.....
Just drill a hole through it after matching your wheels to it. Slide the R clip in.

Now you have a large pump, you can now tailor your spray bar/s to suit the material you are working etc.

The amount of slots/holes and width you use at certain given rpm varies the the volume and pressure.
Remembering that once the jets hits the classifier and material then the skid plate of the hopper, the pressure is then disbursed in to flow/volume.

Good pressure/sting coming from the jets is a real good bonus for stripping material a apart.
And there is basic formulas of such .
EG... *( running the same rpm on pump)
12 slot set up on a twin spray bar set up. ....
Keeping the slots narrow 2mm will give say a good hard stinging jet compared to 4mm slots.
But 4mm slots will give more volume/flow.....
Option is too increase RPM if starving flow at the mat.

Increasing the amount of jets at 2mm from 12 to 20 slots at the same original RPM , will reduce the pressure some what... But increase volume/flow.
Same with 4mm wide slots .......

Your pump and RPM , spray bar configuration slots etc + the high bankers trapping / mat, need to be balanced.
You don't want to starve the mat, or flood it with too much volume.
But good stingging pressure for stripping in the hopper is the best place to start tunning the balance of your set up, to getting the correct flow on the mat
Whilst keeping pressure up top.

So in short....
More slots... More volume.
Wider slots... More volume.
Downside you start losing the sting.

Less slots.... More pressure
Narrower slots.... More pressure
Upside.... a larger pump can deliver more pressure,whilst using more arrow slots and still get the flow / volume at the mat.

ahhh thx mudgee hunter
im pretty handy with mechanics so fingers crossed the pump won't give me any dramas....(I never leave home without toolbox)

Appreciate the tip on dumping the oil after first 8 running hrs....

The wheels I have on my trolley-thing are good 10" rubber (bigger than wheelie bin) and inflatable...
The trolley thing is much like you would use to move a fridge.

so in theory I think it'll hopefully do the job....ill put up a pic or two once I get things set-up....(practice run around the yard at home first) :trophy:

I like this set up on my HP washer
1573521404_pic_1112_305.jpg

1573521434_pic_1112_306.jpg

Hey thats a pretty nice setup...
looks pretty maneauverable and I think I could take some inspiration from this...
Thanks mudgee :)

:perfect:

30,000 litres is perfect for a 12 inch unit mate if you need water pumped up hill and away from the source, anything around the 14,000 liter mark will do just fine

Got my 8hp pump coming this week! Bought some 16" wheel barrow wheels ( no flats ) from tool king, $50 ea. Hate flat tyres!
Lighter than I expected for a solid.
Says " not for highway use" !
Hmmmm I'm ok with that riding it down a gravel road!
Time for some serious HIGH banking!

mudgee hunter said:
Got my 8hp pump coming this week! Bought some 16" wheel barrow wheels ( no flats ) from tool king, $50 ea. Hate flat tyres!
Lighter than I expected for a solid.
Says " not for highway use" !
Hmmmm I'm ok with that riding it down a gravel road!
Time for some serious HIGH banking!

sounds like a beast

The pump arrived, and I was surprised by it compact size a weight.
And I had to give it a test run of course, and pool was the choice !
My other pump, is a 2.5hp modified "miniblaze".
The inlet was was meant to 40mm, but turned out to be 50mm. Reducer Adaptor had to be fitted.
It didn't quite have the out put volume I expected. My bad on research.
I got this pump as it has a twin impeller, and a decent pumpining lift height.
So I put these two to the short distance volume test.
To fill a 240ltr Otto bin with the new 8hp pump took 57.6 seconds.
The little 2.5hp Miniblaze took 57.3seconds!!!!!
Using same hoses etc.

My faithful Miniblaze dose not pump that great up up hill, more than enough water at 10m on level ground.
But hoping the 8hp has extra power to push the water higher and further. The pump impeller is designed for more pressure.
Think the best way to describe this equation is .....
both pumps have same out put in volume at a short 2m hose length. But if I was to block the end of the hose with my hand ( resistance) on the Miniblaze I could probably hold back the water and seal it of,
But the 8hp SHOULD be difficult to do.
Thus giving it the pressure/ power to push water vertically up a hill.

Latest posts