Reasons You May Not Be Finding Anything?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chin up Vicgoldhunter . Mate it will come. Try having a game plan. Peg out a 100x100m area in your mind that you suspect holds gold and work the area untill you can walk away knowing you have covered every inch of ground properly.

Im on the same page as stayyerAU. It doesnt matter if your finding gold or not, your mindset should be the same. I dont get overly excited when I find gold nor do I feel down when I dont. Where Im at in my head is more important to me than finding gold. Stay balanced.
My motto - I find what I find, no more no less. And when I leave the goldfields, Im happy to have been out there no matter how much I find or dont find.
Most people get too excited when they find gold and depressed when they dont. Its a roller coaster ride. I see it all the time.
Having said that, also, your detector is an extension of yourself and so is the ground you walk on while prospecting. So you want to have a clear mind. If you dont have the right mindset then your not in tune with your detector or the ground you walk on. Time you spend out there with the right mindset increases your learning curve exponentially. Find how to get in the right mindset - thats gold!!. Anyway, Im just having a rave.

G'day Deepseeker

That's a good demo video and really does highlight the rule of "just dig everything" there is of course a familiar target response that you are pretty sure is gold and many times you can be right, but I would rather dig the hole and see what the target is than leave it there and then later wonder if I had left a nugget behind, the problem with rubbishy areas is that you can become a bit lazy after digging many signals its easy to start to just say to your self that its rubbish and just move on, and that's partly what I mean by having the right mindset, it means making yourself dig the target even when you feel that its just more likely to be rubbish, but at the end of the day its better to be wrong than right, and its very satisfying to get a nugget when you only think that it might be trash.

Also I would never consider myself as even close to being a guru as this game will be the one to teach you a lesson every time you go out, I still very much consider myself a learner as there is always something new to me even after 30 years or so, its no different to any trade or occupation because if you want to be proficient at it then you have to be open to learning and listening and you simply have to put in the time and the hard yards, If I were to dwell on the thousands of hours and the klm's I have driven, and the unknown amount of klms I have walked over the years for zilch, nada, zero, etc, then I should probably realise that I should have given it away long ago, if it were only about the gold then I probably would have, but its more to me than that and as I said before when you learn to just go with the flow then you will get also the enjoyment of just being able to be out there and the gold will come in its own time.

Finding gold is also relevant to the time you spend on the ground, unless you are a tin ass (like some people I have known) and born lucky, but if you are more like me then you will have to put in the time and effort and make your own luck, don't sweat on finding the gold either way just get out and have a go that's all its about really.

cheers

stayyerAU

Some great comments thanks for that guys. The mindset is a huge thing and what happens is I start off great and positive with everything low and slow then as the hours go on and the trash starts flowing I get faster and faster covering heaps of ground and constantly moving spots and lazier with digging things and tell myself all the golds gone and Im wasting my time. Went out yesterday not expecting to find anything and of course I didnt but didnt feel to bad about it. I think Im just getting used to it haha

Ok well here's my 2c worth (for all those young ppl, 2c was a unit of currency we used to have :p )

1: Mindset, as mentioned previously, is a huge factor. Don't go out expecting to find gold. Go out with the objective of having fun, enjoying the day, enjoying the challenge of running your machine. Gold is then a bonus and even if you get skunked, you'll have had a great day.

2: Do not listen for any particular target sounds. This is important. Listen for repeatable changes in the threshold. I don't know how many people I see out there listening for a particular sound. Big shallow targets and junk will give a sound. Deep big targets, small shallow and deep targets (all the things people miss in supposedly flogged ground) will only give a slight change in threshold. This may be a change in volume or a change in tone.

3: Don't listen to people when they say 'don't bother going there, the ground is flogged'. No one ever covers 100% of the ground. Also erosion happens on a daily basis. A few mm of soil washed/blown from the surface can make all the difference. As does different weather conditions. The soil be dryer/wetter, less atmospherics etc can all make a difference.

4: Research, research, research.

5: Have faith in your gear and learn how to use it. Also one set of settings will NOT suit every location or even time of day. I constantly change my settings to suit the conditions. They will often change through the course of the day. If you are not tweaking your machine, then you are going to miss gold.

6: Take regular breaks and allow yourself time to re-focus and actually enjoy being out on the goldfields.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck out there.

Pat

VicGoldHunter said:
Some great comments thanks for that guys. The mindset is a huge thing and what happens is I start off great and positive with everything low and slow then as the hours go on and the trash starts flowing I get faster and faster covering heaps of ground and constantly moving spots and lazier with digging things and tell myself all the golds gone and Im wasting my time. Went out yesterday not expecting to find anything and of course I didnt but didnt feel to bad about it. I think Im just getting used to it haha
We've all been there mate, just take regular breaks and refocus and keep the belief that if you do all the right things the good targets will start to show themselves when your coil passes over them.
What Pat posted above is spot on :Y:

Mate if you're not feeling it, maybe give it a rest for a week or two. The gold will still be there.
A little break might get you keen again. Atm
I only get the chance to detect 5 times a.year. so I enjoy every moment of it.
Try lowering you sensitivity and gain. Gain 8 sen on 6. You may find it declutters and only gives true targets.

Skip said:
Mate if you're not feeling it, maybe give it a rest for a week or two. The gold will still be there.
Try lowering you sensitivity and gain. Gain 8 sen on 6. You may find it declutters and only gives true targets.

Just use factory default :Y: if it's there you'll eventually find it. For the amount of questions you ask can you please tell us how often you get out. I'm lucky (for the last 2 years) to get out twice or three times a year. With my limited opportunity some days I come home with no gold and other days I might come home with multiple pieces. From what I've read of your questions I have to agree with others that you are finding it hard, at least that's what you're questions tell us. No offence we all started the same way but I am thinking for the amount of questions something isn't right.

I'll also add for the amount of quality responses (not mine I don't spend enough time with boots on the ground) you offer very little response or follow up. Not that anyone is asking for a bow it's more the case of members offering a bit of help. I hope you're next post is a reply rather than a question.

RM Outback said:
Skip said:

Just use factory default :Y: if it's there you'll eventually find it. For the amount of questions you ask can you please tell us how often you get out. I'm lucky (for the last 2 years) to get out twice or three times a year. With my limited opportunity some days I come home with no gold and other days I might come home with multiple pieces. From what I've read of your questions I have to agree with others that you are finding it hard, at least that's what you're questions tell us. No offence we all started the same way but I am thinking for the amount of questions something isn't right.

I'll also add for the amount of quality responses (not mine I don't spend enough time with boots on the ground) you offer very little response or follow up. Not that anyone is asking for a bow it's more the case of members offering a bit of help. I hope you're next post is a reply rather than a question.

I read and appreciate every single comment I get but I cant always reply to every one of them unfortunately it would take me to long or other times Im not sure how to reply to be honest. I cant believe the amount of help here on this forum its truly helped me become a better prospector and Im so thankful for it all, Ive learnt more here than all the books Ive read. Here is practical information that I apply on the field.

So again thanks everyone

VicGoldHunter said:
RM Outback said:
Skip said:

I read and appreciate every single comment I get but I cant always reply to every one of them unfortunately it would take me to long or other times Im not sure how to reply to be honest. I cant believe the amount of help here on this forum its truly helped me become a better prospector and Im so thankful for it all, Ive learnt more here than all the books Ive read. Here is practical information that I apply on the field.

So again thanks everyone

:beer: great to hear VGH :Y:, haven't kept up with this but you've made me :) reading this post. If I had more time I'd be happy to catch up but in reality time is a challenge for me. You definitely won't be wasting your time by joining your local PMAV and doing a one on one :Y: if I get an opportunity a week in advance I'll send a pm, if the first time doesn't suit we can try again :Y:

As a newcomer to prospecting, I've really enjoyed reading these posts. Deepseeker...that video was great. Archimedes.... I can really relate to taking your Electronic dog for a walk. And so lovely to read all the encouraging comments.

My motivating factors for taking up prospecting are to get some enjoyable exercise (as the Gym isn't my "thing"), to spend more time in nature to relax and to give me an excuse to go camping so I can walk away from housework! I've fished for many years just to simply sit by a river bank enjoying the peace and being fascinated by the birds, so taking home a fish is an added bonus... so I'm applying that philosophy to prospecting as well.

In the last month I've been out prospecting 3 times and even though I have returned with just 4 x "fly poo" specks for my efforts, the true "gold" has been spending time in a beautiful setting and meeting other prospectors who have been so friendly and willing to give me a few tips, thus motivating me further to stick at it.

I've also dragged a (non-camper) friend away for a weekend who is now a "convert", and heading off with my daughter in law this weekend who is mad keen to try panning. It's her birthday so I've bought her a set of gold pans and miner's right as a present, and I know we'll have a great time... with or without the elusive yellow.

I should add I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing most of the time, but it's gotten me this far in life, so it's all good :playful:

Anniegee I really liked reading that...mate watch lots of videos to help you out there are some really good YouTube videos by vo-Gus prospecting that are great for beginners as he explains things really well and is Aussie however there are many good channels out there that can help fast track your learning.
Goodluck on the next outing hope you find lots of good colour!!

Thanks m@ttACT for your kind words. Yes, I've seen many of the Vo Gus YouTube videos and agree... they are great... I love his honest and down to earth style. I'm almost a compulsive YouTuber but it beats the crap on TV at the moment.

Best wishes always and all ways :)

so basically any type of signal could be the potential for a piece of gold wow this is amazing and quite surprising

yellowmellow said:
so basically any type of signal could be the potential for a piece of gold wow this is amazing and quite surprising
gold comes in an infinite variety of shapes, sizes, purity, depth, & angle in the ground, such that each piece responds differently.

Latest posts