Loner in S/W Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone and many thanks to all the contributors here that have given up their time and knowledge to assist others including myself.

Originally i started off thinking that you buy a detector and watch the gold pile up..... a few years on and i now realise just how much there is to know in order to enhance your chances of finding some colour.
Started out with a GM 1000. I know many have done well with these, but it was one of the most frustrating experiences ever....lol.
I used it at a good friends property in the Steiglitz area and it was not fun at all. Very hot ground and admittedly, i figured it was turn it on and reap rewards. Rude awakening that was....
Enjoying the peace of wandering through the bush, but not the constant noise of the GM, I decided to get a gpx 4500. Watched a youtube video for my settings, and hey presto, found out just how stupid i can be at times. Lol.
Without going on too much, I've just started to get out a little more in the last month or so due to work commitments, and i definitely look forward to more and hopefully my first bit of colour in the near future.

Thanks again to all the contributors that help newbies like me.
Much appreciated and all the best. :)

Welcome mate. I hear your frustration. Maybe see if you can hook up with an experienced member to see how its done? Us novice types need to learn in the field off the 10% of prospectors who find 90% of the gold :)

G'day Colour evades me welcome to PA :Y: if you get up your 10 post's the members section will open up then you can join in the meet ups and fun that comes with them. Getting out with like minded people who have found a bit is worth the effort if you can. I'm keen to try a few places around Beaufort when I visit my son south of Hamilton. Never used a 4500 but do use a 5000, use the search icon there's heaps of info on the 4500 that will be of benefit :beer:

Cheers fossil. Luckily I'm not as frustrated now. It's more the escape from the everyday and always that chance of finding something unique or amazing that drives me.
Good therapy i guess. ;)

Thanks RM.
That sounds like a goal. I've done so much reading etc, and it's easy to be overwhelmed by it all.
I did finally use the days training that come with the purchase of the 4500 and have adjusted my settings dramatically compared to the youtube video advice. :lol:
Having said that I've only been out less than a handful of times. Getting plenty of leadshot and junk. Just need to research better i think.

Hi colour evades me,

Your not making this fossicking sound like fun I have just bought a Minelab 4500 second hand so no lesson for me, how did you end up going, and do you have some settings advice for me I will be fossicking around the Beaufort area.

Thanks for any feedback

Hi Clint,
Live in Euston but in-laws live there and our daughter and grandkids are in Ballarat. My wife is a Ballarat girl and will be down that way in 2 weeks for a couple of days so thought might put the detector in and have a search

Latest posts