Heading to Oberon 10/11/19

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody! long time lurker, first time poster here. I have been in the fossicking scene for about 2 years now and have had great success in grabbed gullen, not so much in wee Jasper or around Tumbarumba (probably due to user error). I am heading to Oberon this weekend for a day trip, and have taken a lot of notes for the locations posted in earlier threads, and purchased the old fossicking license, but if you have any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody else is going to be there feel free to get in touch

Jaros said:
Welcome to P.A. Snow13.
Thanks mate, means a lot to be part of the community. Can't express how much I have learnt from everybody over the years just from reading, especially about fossicking etiquette

Take more stamina with you than I did on my last trip........ the ground is currently like concrete

Wally69 said:
Take more stamina with you than I did on my last trip........ the ground is currently like concrete
Great to know, I am taking a crow bar, pick, shovel and my own water. Did you manage to pull out any colours?

Snow13 said:
Wally69 said:
Great to know, I am taking a crow bar, pick, shovel and my own water. Did you manage to pull out any colours?

Not this time as I gave up with only half a bucket of wash and tried to move on to chase some Smokey Quartz but unfortunately, when I.got to Plan B, the forestry road was closed due to logging. On the success side, I did grab a nice bacon and egg roll and coffee in Oberon, and run into another PA member in the Main Street for a chat prior to heading home.

Wally69 said:
Not this time as I gave up with only half a bucket of wash and tried to move on to chase some Smokey Quartz but unfortunately, when I.got to Plan B, the forestry road was closed due to logging. On the success side, I did grab a nice bacon and egg roll and coffee in Oberon, and run into another PA member in the Main Street for a chat prior to heading home.
Haha, noted, if all else fails we will head straight to the coffee shop

Welcome mate and have fun out there. Caught the bug at Black Springs with two tiny blue stones. Had another go this year but got rained out. Beautiful area so I'll be back one day. BH quarry is definitely worth a visit, found a lovely quartz crystal specimen that has been stained gold at that spot. I really should post a photo of that actually. Anyway mate good luck and make sure to post about your trip.

1573498424_img_20191111_0715492.jpg

Oberon was beautiful, we had a great time there. Brought our own water, tubs, and a lot of energy to break through all that clay and it paid off. The colours of the zircons and sapphires is incredible. Unfortunately no monster sized gems this trip, but above is a picture of my favourite one from the expedition.

I am already planning my next trip three, can't wait to go back!

Great stuff Snow13, I have to agree, the Oberon district sapphires are the clearest, prettiest blues I have ever come across and the zircons look like fire bombs exploding from the water.

I have seen some others with more luck than me score some larger stones, but like you, those small absolutely brilliant gems keep drawing me back for more.

1573507011_received_2512386862207731.jpg

Absolutely agree with you about the zircons jumping out at you, it is almost impossible not to see them!

Also a picture of our set up, we purchased some 220l water barrels for $20 on gumtree, they are incredible because I really like seiving on site where I can.

1573507012_received_757012774782671.jpg

Hi Team, I was out at Porters retreat this weekend. Most of the water has dried up from the creek bed, this allowed me to get to areas I couldn't access before. I had a great weekend out there and found some nice stones (mostly small sapphires and zircons).There is still water in the area so that may be helpful to some if needed.
1576414114_received_1893422320792033.jpg

1576414114_received_3327926870612139.jpg

1576414114_received_423479485200131.jpg

1576414115_received_2470912416370933.jpg

I love the colours reminds me of a jar of jellybeans! I'm thinking of heading out there soon but only new to gem fossicking and dont really know what I'm doing, tho keen to give it a try.

Hey skip, I'm more than happy to help you out. Me and a friend have just recently started fossicking and have only been to porters retreat 2 time. We are very eager to get back out. We may not get back out this year but we will be more than happy for you to meet up out there and share the little knowledge we have so far.

Hi mate that sounds good. Ive been to black springs fossicking area for a few hours once and managed to pull some small stones, so that got me hooked and now I can't wait to get back out there.

Im in sydney. Once you hit 10 post pm me when you're ready to head back up.

1576471455_resized_20191208_172621.jpg

Skip

Some nice looking ones there mate. It doesn't take much to get hooked right. I'm based in Sydney as well. Will look forward to catching up in the new year ?

Latest posts