Qld'er looking for NSW hints

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading off to NSW soon in my just finished rebuilt Jayco pop top. Haven't seen my Son in a few years so wanting to find a camp not to far away from Sydney. He's Head Chef in one of the Restaurants in the Big Smoke. Not knowing any of the area and it's a bit far for a scouting drive, am looking for advice on a campsite. I was sorta thinking around the Lithgow/ Portand area somewhere. Main aim of the game is see my Boy, running close second is detecting with maybe a panning session. Google can only show so much with the lay of the land so some advice would be muchly appreciated. Van is fully self contained unit with water and power.

Sunny Corner State Forest is the closest gold producing grounds to the West at about 3hrs. If you have time to explore that area, head out to Solfala and Hill End about an hour further west.

To the South, the upper reaches of the Shoalhaven River might offer some panning opportunity, and is just a little bit closer to the City, but I am not familiar with the area.

Paid campgrounds at Lane Cove and Narrabeen are closer options, but no gold unless you are chasing park/beach sovereigns and rings.

If you haven't seen it yet, download & have a look at WIkicamps. It should help you locate somewhere to stay and from there you can look at the detecting potential in the area.

Just my opinion but I'd plan your trip in 2 x stages.
Look at some camping options in or closer in to Sydney as per above & spend some time with the young fella.
Lithgow/Portland can still be a couple of hours into the city (depending on your sons location & traffic on the day).
Then plan some time on the way home to camp somewhere like Hill End, Sofala, Stuart Town, Hargraves, Windeyer, Ophir etc. which can all cover some decent detecting & panning time.

Thanks Guys, will have a look at Wikicamps. The whole idea of the way I built the van was so I could move at a whim. Just needed a start point. Might even pull up for a couple of days here and there yet after spending some time with me boy.

Edit, just got home from work. Haven't checked anything yet

If that is the case, go down the New England Highway and drop into Nundle to break up the trip
:goldnugget: :pickshovel: :goldpan: :gemstone:

Latest posts