How do i dissolve quartz away from my gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AtomRat said:
goldierocks - are you able to suggest correct disposal for Alibrite for those who have used it
If I needed to dispose of it, I would probably pour it on the ground in a remote place 9even in the garden away from plants), and pour a bucket of water over it, and toss some soil on top. It does not contain anything that would cause harm to anything if a small quantity is disposed of that way, and I tend to dispose of things in this manner if they are pretty harmless once treated this way. It is only ammonium bifluoride, sulphuric acid and hydrogen fluoride, all of which will dilute and dissociate with water. Any risk is limited to humans getting it on themselves - a small amount of fluorine in the soil is not going to harm wildlife or plants. "The cationic surfactant contained in this product is expected to be rapidly removed from effluents by absorption onto suspended particles and by interaction with the large excess of anionic surfactants commonly present in effluents. In the absence of the above factors, biodegradation will still occur reasonably rapidly at low concentrations", so to speak...

It can be greatly diluted with water and poured down your drain (because of the small volume) - I would just be a bit wary of my plumbing.

goldierocks said:
AtomRat said:
goldierocks - are you able to suggest correct disposal for Alibrite for those who have used it
If I needed to dispose of it, I would probably pour it on the ground in a remote place 9even in the garden away from plants), and pour a bucket of water over it, and toss some soil on top. It does not contain anything that would cause harm to anything if a small quantity is disposed of that way, and I tend to dispose of things in this manner if they are pretty harmless once treated this way. It is only ammonium bifluoride, sulphuric acid and hydrogen fluoride, all of which will dilute and dissociate with water. Any risk is limited to humans getting it on themselves - a small amount of fluorine in the soil is not going to harm wildlife or plants. "The cationic surfactant contained in this product is expected to be rapidly removed from effluents by absorption onto suspended particles and by interaction with the large excess of anionic surfactants commonly present in effluents. In the absence of the above factors, biodegradation will still occur reasonably rapidly at low concentrations", so to speak...

It can be greatly diluted with water and poured down your drain (because of the small volume) - I would just be a bit wary of my plumbing.

Perfect, thank you. I've never used it, didnt realise was written on label as Hh said, but your extra detailed info has topped it off heaps, It'll be useful for passing the info onto those who do, or have used it. Cheers. Yep i have a garden corner too, mostly left over iron hydroxide or carbonates and other non-toxic. Haven't spotted any 18 legged frogs or oddities yet, so should be safe :lol:

I used to use pickeling paste as we used to use it at work for cleaning welds. Worked very well as it has a higher concentration of hf acid than Ali bright . But have since stopped as its just not worth the risk. Yes we had all the gear for using it but a few years ago I witnessed one of the mung bean idiots who think they know everything but in truth know sweet FA using it with just surgical gloves and nothing else.
Words were had but nothing changed as a few months later the bottle of paste was left out in our wash down area for anyone who doesnt know to possibly pick it up. So long story short we no longer have it at work .
Still use Ali bright for cleaning my gold. Another thing to remember when using it is its always good practice after flushing with water is to put some bi carb in with it to nuetralise any left over acid.

Bjay said:
I used to use pickeling paste as we used to use it at work for cleaning welds. Worked very well as it has a higher concentration of hf acid than Ali bright . But have since stopped as its just not worth the risk. Yes we had all the gear for using it but a few years ago I witnessed one of the mung bean idiots who think they know everything but in truth know sweet FA using it with just surgical gloves and nothing else.
Words were had but nothing changed as a few months later the bottle of paste was left out in our wash down area for anyone who doesnt know to possibly pick it up. So long story short we no longer have it at work .
Still use Ali bright for cleaning my gold. Another thing to remember when using it is its always good practice after flushing with water is to put some bi carb in with it to nuetralise any left over acid.
Very similar to the scenerio at a place I used to work at. We used to use it for cleaning welds on stainless steel pipework /tanks until I found out about the effects of HFl and asked the OHS officer (a welder himself) to provide correct procedure for exposure / Burns.

Latest posts