ways to make camping getaways easier?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something about going camping that I really struggle with is just getting everything needed and ready to go Theres always so much stuff! Doesnt matter weather your going for the night or couple days seems like SO much stuff to always bring. I really see the appeal of caravans now, everythings already in there and away you go but camping Im constantly back and forth loading the car up and I always leave late afternoon. Doesnt help Im using a sedan I guess, looking forward to getting a big 4x4 thats for sure.

Do you find regular camping a bit of a hassle sometimes?

Edit - madtuna beat me to it!! :)

It just takes planning and organisation.
I keep a lot of my camping stuff in tubs in the garage, and just put them straight in the ute when it's time to go.

Organise stuff into groups to make it easy to unpack at camp.

Eg. The first thing you do is set up a tent - so have everything for that in one tub.

1 tub - ropes/tent pegs/tarps/tools/tent
1 tub - cooking/kitchen stuff
1 tub - first aid/snake bite kit
1 tub - misc. torch/batteries/TP/pegs/repellent/sunscreen etc
1 backpack - panning gear
1 bag - clothes/toiletries/towel
1 tub - food and water
etc etc..

Have a list of individual things - esky, chair, table, bucket, shovel etc. that you keep all in the same area, to just load them up.

Have a list in each tub to check them off, if you take anything out of them.

Organisation makes it easier, and keeping things in tubs that you don't have to unpack at home, makes it easier to unpack the car too.
Just stack them in the corner of the garage and you're done!

Always keeping the system in place, also helps you to find things easily at camp, because you know exactly what tub they're in to find them quickly, rather than rummaging through everything to find something, which is a pain in the neck!

Have dedicated camping gear such as kitchen stuff, that you don't take from the house supply - keep it all in the tub.

Be organised - it makes it a lot less work to go camping! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

A small van makes it very easy, with: cooking gear, tent (not needed), sleeping bag (and/or doonah), mattress, pillow, camp lights, battery chargers, awning, some food and sauces, water, a wine store, gas, loo etc already loaded.
Still need to pack clothes, extra food (coldies like: milk, juice and beer), external table & chair, detector, pick, drone etc. but it's way easier.
Always keep a first aid, tool kit and recovery gear in the tug.
I also have a huge check list which varies depending on the trip duration and remote locality i.e.: don't need a Sat Phone or Geiger Counter in the Vic GT.

Thanks guys your right about the tubs they do make life 10x easier. Have started with that but noticed still going to kitchen for cutlery/cookware etc so will need to get that sorted in one big tub. Also need to keep the camping gear all in one spot. Have it all spread out makes things a lot harder and end up forgetting things

Camping is only as complicated as you make it, if I'm going solo then I take detecting gear, swag, bedding, fridge, 1 butane burner, 1 pot (gets used as a bowl as well), cutlery, 1 small milk crate with tin food (stews, B.Beans, coffee etc etc) and my chair.
I find I don't need much else for a few days in the bush.
I used to take my wagon loaded to the roof for the "just in case" and only use about 1/4 of it so keep it really simple now.

I know what you mean..!
I have 2 set ups..
One swag set up.. 1 to 3 nights.
Gazebo with tent etc. 3 + nights.
Short trips away I find it best to buy a cooked/smoked chook, and tin food it.
Bacon n eggs on skillet cooked on tinned gas.
Once you do it a few times... You get your act together.
And it also depends on how many going....
Old style eskys are a good strong robust containers.
Make notes on your phone next time you go, of what you forgot.
Quick trips are best just kept simply,
Paper plates burn easily. No washing up...
But not great 3+days.
Some kits you will just take reguardless of duration.

As said above , organization is key have a think about what you need , you dont need much for a short stay comfy shelter , chair , table some good food and drinks and a means to cook it . I have 2 eskys a 50 liter fridge for meat , salads and drinks and a small esky for nibbles and backup tin food . A bbq plate and a jaffle iron and a few bits of cutlery a plate,mug and a wine glass . Most important bit of kit to me is my duel battery setup this powers my fridge camp lights and charges my phone and detector batterys . Next important is my umbrella which mounts on the back of the Ute a swag roll and a sleeping bag is all I need takes me 5 min to set up camp and 5 min to pack up . I love organizing, packing driving, camping I love it all its my happy place , if its a Hassle your doing it wrong ,just rethink it keep it simple and comfortable with good food and drinks and enjoy it with some mates . Cheers Booney :D

I have simplified my detecting trips by bringing premade food made at home beforehand, breakfast burritos, premade lunch time sandwiches, and fried chicken for dinner. Keeps me on the gold fields longer detecting that way with way less cleanup time, I still bring the stove/skillet for burrito warmup and the stove for making coffee. I have already tried this method a few weeks back and I like it, works for me anyway. Couple more hours or more a day I am able to detect, versus cooking and cleaning.

Jaros said:
Let someone know where you are going. Place and Phone number.

Yep, I always leave Mrs Deepseeker a little map with a circled radius area where I intend to detect, along with an ETA for leaving/coming home.

Although, come to think of it, if she ever wants to hire a Hit-man she knows where in the bush i'll be :(

Try your hardest to leave the kitchen sink at home, the only option I get is if Kate stays home with it :8 :playful: although I am a bit spoilt if we're away together :) Kate's a fantastic cook so a good feed is never too far away :perfect: :beer:

The best trips I've had have been a success due to good planning and keeping it simple. Always include warm clothing, first aid and comfortable bed the rest depends on the length of the trip and location.

I just leave my trailer ready to go so if I decide on a trip I just need to chuck the fridge in the car and stop at a supermarket on the way out of town.
1571834202_f1e05e20-ec89-487f-bdec-0bbcffdb28c7.jpg

Latest posts