Whites Spectra V3i information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi wintersnake,
I dont have one as I run a TDI pro, but just had a look at it on the net and does look pretty good, interesting with all the pre sets and the trigger operation, I think it should run OK. But each to their own as I like the TDI.

cheers

Thanks for the input Tails. Since making the original post I have found some info on the V3i on Treasurenet with mixed reviews.

TBH I don't think enough people are using them to get a clear picture and since i'm only after natural gold it's a gamble. Only looking at them a they are the same price as a SD22 in most cases less. There is also a good chance the V3i is too fragile for my intended purpose, ie: a tow behind.

Just wondering if anyone out there is using a whites v3i?

If you are swinging the v what features do you like best about this machine?

Haven't seen or used one but know of a pretty much full time prospector that got one for when he's not in WA. Reading his posts he seems to like mucking around with the ability to make his own detecting programs & how it suits a range of different detecting. Found a heap of coins etc. with it so far. If you do a search on Google Australia for Whites Spectra V3i it should be the second result returned. He's currently in WA but hasn't reported on how it handles the ground there yet.

Hey Mbasko, google tailors search responses to your search history and browsing habits - what you see when you search a term and what I see can be completely different!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have seen that link.

I think the v3i is for someone that has detector experience and knows the meaning and difference of vlf technology.

I think you could program the v3i to pick up $1 and $2 coins at about 10 to 12" by changing to low frequency.

and adjusting a few other things.

Could be handy if you know where a stack of $1 and $2 are buried.

Not sure whether this has been posted previously but looks interesting, wouldn't know a White V3i if I fell over one and don't know how reliable the info/readin/display is but it does look sorta cute.
Don't know how good the detector is or where it rates compared to a 4500/5000 but I guess there are White fans out there who swear by them (and so they should, confidence in your equipment is a MUST).

Maybe a White user can comment on the worth of the Pola Plot feature.
Cheers Tom

The V3i is a VLF detector so not much use comparing to the 4500/5000 or other PI's.
They do look a very capable VLF though but are reasonably complex if you want to get right into setting up your own search programs etc. They have a heap of nice looking features & would probably be better compared against the CTX3030?
I have seen a report of a bloke that used one in WA & got a couple of nuggets in a trashy area. He only used it over his GPX due to the trash in that particular area but it appears that they discriminate well & can pick up nuggets in the right situations.

Thanks, not considering a purchase but was just interested in the Pola plot, guess it does what it's supposed to do ..... aid discrimination of targets.
Cheers T,

Just purchased one.

Will provide some info on it soon.

The best things about the v3i include the ability to
Run 3 frequencies side by side rather simultaneously.

Its like running 3 machines side my side in different
frequency modes. This helps with trash id in certain
Situations.

This is the most flexible and customisable detector. You
Can change just about everything including changing tone
id's, colour, target processing speed and so on..

Can't wait to hear what you learn/think about this one Wolf, I think it's an amazing offering and a step in right direction toward the greatest vlf hunt machines and what is to come, like fuel injection on cars, exciting times. I think someone like yourself will give great insight into its abilities and I'm especially interested in the customize options it provides. YouTube only goes so far. ......

Goldtarget said:
Can't wait to hear what you learn/think about this one Wolf, I think it's an amazing offering and a step in right direction toward the greatest vlf hunt machines and what is to come, like fuel injection on cars, exciting times. I think someone like yourself will give great insight into its abilities and I'm especially interested in the customize options it provides. YouTube only goes so far. ......

Thank you for your kind words.

The technology is amazing on this machine.

Please be patient when i am ready and confident and i know
More about it I will start Posting an ongoing review report.

I have been to an old site. Its maybe 20 metres wide
By about 60 metres. On the right is a current bridge
On the left is an old trestle bridge. This site has got
Me stumped. Went over 1/4 of it with the G2 but too
Many aluminium screw caps or canslaw. Found nothing.
Went there with the v3i on 2nd outing Using standard
mode found nothing.

I know there has to be a couple of coins here. An old
Trestle bridge and horse and carriages going back to
The late 18th century is good recipe for Coin
movements from pockets etc

If this site is going to find me some silvers the v3i will
And this is how. I discovered this method on sat but
Need to do more tests.

The v3i runs 3 different frequencies its like running 3
Detectors side by side. I will explain about this latter.

The aluminium screw caps come as the high frequency
Which is the colour red. Silver coins, $1 and $2 ping hard
As the 2.5 frequency which is green So the plan is to swing
the machine On max setting ignore all high frequency
targets (bye bye Screw caps) and dig the targets that
ping the highest as silver. 2 things are going to happen
the coins should pop Out or bolt nuts or solid metal
targets say 10mm in diameter Will pop out.

The only thing i need to do is setup the target range and
Make the audio high tone. I am excited with this discovery
Because if you hit a high frequented are its an awesome
And quick way in just finding the $1 and $2.

More info to follow...

I read your parts about time spent and is understandable, every machine takes time to learn, as I said I look forward to seeing what you discover. I think we all have our nemesis and is a hard feeling to shake when your gut tells you something despite any proof. I just about gave up on that house site recently but my instinct gave me a reason to keep going. I didn't post it up but I pulled a old rusty biscuit tin with a few notes inside, a rainy day cache long forgotten. Unfortunately no great ones, "maid money" as my grandad would say ( meaning well worn notes given to the help or mattress money might be the modern equivalent), and my gut feeling says there had to be more finds there.
On topic I look forward with interest, no doubt in the right hands this offering would be very capable.

Goldtarget said:
I read your parts about time spent and is understandable, every machine takes time to learn, as I said I look forward to seeing what you discover. I think we all have our nemesis and is a hard feeling to shake when your gut tells you something despite any proof. I just about gave up on that house site recently but my instinct gave me a reason to keep going. I didn't post it up but I pulled a old rusty biscuit tin with a few notes inside, a rainy day cache long forgotten. Unfortunately no great ones, "maid money" as my grandad would say ( meaning well worn notes given to the help or mattress money might be the modern equivalent), and my gut feeling says there had to be more finds there.
On topic I look forward with interest, no doubt in the right hands this offering would be very capable.

Share a photo that would be awesome to see..

Hi all,
Iv had the V3I for a few months now, and i must admit...its a top machine for those interested in a steep learning curve. A bit like those folks who build little ships in a bottle. :eek:

If your looking for a detector that will keep you busy, this is the one. But, like all VLFs, it has its draw backs. Mineralization pulls them all up, no matter the frequency they use. The V3i is no different, whilst able to run all three freq together, or just one of the three.
Mineralization in not a friend to any VLF detector, don't be fooled into thinking you'll work miracles with this one.

The polar graph is a tool, thats it. Add mineralization and that tool is compromised like all VLFs are in one way or another with whatever they are pushing as to their go-to screen for the decision to dig or not. It has its limitations.
However it is a screen that once you have learned a little about the machine...and that only comes from digging a lot of targets, will teach you plenty. Its not a gimmick at all, it can and has helped me identify coins, even when the coin is on its edge, the reading did not change.
Ok im new here, and links to photobucket images are not allowed till i make 10 posts.When this ban is lifted, i'll edit this post to include the images for those seeking info.
The images can be seen on a few of the other forums.

Im in WA ATM, and i can tell you that out of the three Whites metal detectors i have and use here along with my GPX-4500, none of them are of any real benefit other than when used in high trash areas. Each has and will continue to find gold when used in these areas. However, you have to work for your gold with each detector...MXT...GMT...V3i. They'll handle the ground here relativity easy with just a few tweaks, but with those tweaks come trade offs.
If used to find gold in the above mentioned areas, where PI detectors cannot cope due to having multiple targets within rah-zoo of the coil, these units will shine.

Narrawa said:
Hi all,
Iv had the V3I for a few months now, and i must admit...its a top machine for those interested in a steep learning curve. A bit like those folks who build little ships in a bottle. :eek:

If your looking for a detector that will keep you busy, this is the one. But, like all VLFs, it has its draw backs. Mineralization pulls them all up, no matter the frequency they use. The V3i is no different, whilst able to run all three freq together, or just one of the three.
Mineralization in not a friend to any VLF detector, don't be fooled into thinking you'll work miracles with this one.

The polar graph is a tool, thats it. Add mineralization and that tool is compromised like all VLFs are in one way or another with whatever they are pushing as to their go-to screen for the decision to dig or not. It has its limitations.
However it is a screen that once you have learned a little about the machine...and that only comes from digging a lot of targets, will teach you plenty. Its not a gimmick at all, it can and has helped me identify coins, even when the coin is on its edge, the reading did not change.
Ok im new here, and links to photobucket images are not allowed till i make 10 posts.When this ban is lifted, i'll edit this post to include the images for those seeking info.
The images can be seen on a few of the other forums.

Im in WA ATM, and i can tell you that out of the three Whites metal detectors i have and use here along with my GPX-4500, none of them are of any real benefit other than when used in high trash areas. Each has and will continue to find gold when used in these areas. However, you have to work for your gold with each detector...MXT...GMT...V3i. They'll handle the ground here relativity easy with just a few tweaks, but with those tweaks come trade offs.
If used to find gold in the above mentioned areas, where PI detectors cannot cope due to having multiple targets within rah-zoo of the coil, these units will shine.

I have read your posts on the other forum.

If you want a switch and go machine this is not the
Machine for those seeking a switch and go machine.
Its that simple. I bought it to see if i can use the features
To build a few different programs rather than owning
3 different machines.

You can not put the v3i in the same group as the other
2 machines you mentioned because you have the choice
To tweak a few things you can not with the other 2.

Besides putting the machine in prospecting mode or
Switching on the hot rock reject feature or changing
The filter have you Done anything else in reference to
changing settings That may quieten it down?

I believe there could be a way. Not sure if it will work
Until i test it though.

You can not put the v3i in the same group as the other
2 machines you mentioned because you have the choice
To tweak a few things you can not with the other 2.
At the end of the day, you can tweak as much as you like on the V3i, its not going to win you anymore gold (if used as a gold detector ) than the others. Much of their features are simply tweaked for you. The V3i is still just a VLF detector, and given it has much to play with, wont really help tame the ground. Mineralized ground no matter what detector you use...PI or VLF....will always be mineralized ground. No matter what coil you use, the ground remains the same.

On VLFs, if you turn down the gain or anything else used to make it run smooth, your simply turning down its ability to hear. That's not new news, and i found this on all three models just as i knew i would from using other VLFs in the past on nasty ground in our gold fields.
Exsplorer 2, Quattro, Tesoro Cortes, a range of BHs, GB, GB2, GB Pro, X-Terra 70-705.

Besides putting the machine in prospecting mode or
Switching on the hot rock reject feature or changing
The filter have you Done anything else in reference to
changing settings That may quieten it down?
If your looking to take out some of that chatter, knock out not only the VDI numbers in the Disc function, take out the tones associated with those VDI numbers. Lower the sensitivity in the AM mode if using it in/or as a prospecting detector in the stock prospecting mode. Set the GB offset while bobbing the coil till it makes no noise on the bob up or down. If it carry's on still, flick it to Autotrack, if continues to cry, down all the gains and slowly up them again to find the desired level.

The best way iv found so far with the V3i, is to use it more like a coin machine...not a prospecting machine...its easier to understand and less fatiguing. Which = more fun.

I use three modded programs to suite, the Hi-Pro program, a modded Mixed mode Pro program, and a highly modded Prospecting program. Each has an array of different disc settings, audio, gain, and target tones that iv found to give me the effect im after over some ground types while using it to find gold. I chose these programs simply because some of the settings i liked were already chosen. However, many settings are changed and new ones tried each use to ring its neck over certain targets till the response wanted is found. :D

Many of the factory presets programs, tend to overload strait out of the box on some of our fields, Hill End, Sofala, Wattle Flat in NSW....both the MXT and the GMT did the same there, tho the MXT was the better of the three. Here in WA i find the ground quiet easy to GB on with all three machines...Leinster, Leonora, Kalgoorlie, with the exception of a few spots, many of the places iv taken the time to try them, they work ok. But id not be getting rid of my 4500.
Iv tried a few coils on each, and always come back to the std coil, the 11x6 on the MXT being the exception. Iv not tried the 5.3" concentric over here, im looking for gold i can see and pick up un aided by spoons and scoops. :D

It is the best VLF detector iv owned and used over the yrs ,and iv had my share. Yet its let down by the absence of USB connectivity to PC for programming. :mad:

Ps, hope you find something in that.

There are reviews by the bucket load for this seemingly interesting machine overseas, but they seem to be sadly lacking in this country. Is it no good here?? How do the fancy on board gadgets work in OZ ground?? Has anyone actually found any gold in the OZ goldfields with one of these??? Generally speaking ,the reviews for the V3i overseas paint it as an incredible piece of whites engineering with parameters for just about every adjustment that can be made on a detector. But, it just makes me wonder why it does not seem to have taken off here. Can somebody who actually has one of these give us an honest report of just how well the machine handles our ground, and more importantly, how well the many on board features work here!???? Regards to all....Ronnie. 8)

Latest posts