You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

JJB100
20 October 2019 07:25 pm

I would appreciate if members could share with me and the forum their experience with Satellite phones and also networks covering WA.

Also looking for advice on a GPS Device, I am currently considering the Garmin eTrex 10 Handheld GPS (other devices are available).

These are the final pieces of the equipment jigsaw I am putting together before venturing out.

Regards

John

Rockhunter62
Banned
Banned
20 October 2019 07:50 pm

Hi John,

The wife and I use a pair of Garmin Rino 700's. Good GPS and UHF radio combined. Also has a featurewhere you can message each other without having to talk on the radio for everyone else to hear.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

4 users like this post: madtuna, goody2shoes, Simmo, Trash

2lateagain
20 October 2019 08:10 pm

Plus 1 for the Rino 700, you can also see the location other persons within your party if they also have the Rino 700 and they are on you device, I found it very good to be able to see how far to the car and where my wife was so we did not keep getting too close with detectors acting up.

Graham

Last edited by 2lateagain (20 October 2019 08:11 pm)

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
I plan on living forever...............................................so far I am still on track!

2 users like this post: goody2shoes, Trash

madtuna
Banned
Banned
20 October 2019 08:16 pm

I don't have a Rhino, but have used Dougies and yeah it's a beauty. I have a little Garmin something or other I've had for a bazillion years. I have to lick the screen now to read it, but it still works like the day I got it.

Telstra is about the only cellular network out here and even then won't work in more places than it will.

My sat phone is Oridium and it's a beauty, you'd have to be down a mine shaft not to get a signal, if you can see the sky it'll work.

Extremely handsome covered in a fairly thick coating of ugly
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

4 users like this post: AngerManagement, Simmo, Trash, ctxkid

JJB100
20 October 2019 08:39 pm

Very helpful of the forum...

Garmin Rino 700
Iridium Sat Phone
PLB

Deep breath and off I go.

These should give the family peace of mind.

Many thanks

John

Last edited by JJB100 (20 October 2019 08:40 pm)

1 user likes this post: AngerManagement

Rockhunter62
Banned
Banned
20 October 2019 08:49 pm

Hi John,

The Johnny Appleseed store was where we got ours from.

https://www.ja-gps.com.au

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

1 user likes this post: Trash

Harbourmaster
20 October 2019 09:07 pm

I use a Thuraya XT-LITE. It's on a $15/mth plan with optus I activate the plan just before I go away & suspend it when I get home. It is currently suspended with about $8 or $9 credit and it will stay like that until I reactivate it. Cost was just shy of $600 2 yrs ago when I bought it. Haven't had a problem with reception thru WA, NT Qld & SA.Got me out of trouble in WA when injectors packed up last year. will send out a message to preprogrammed numbers (3) with choice of preset message or new message with GPS co-ordinates Also have a Garmin GPS 76, got a few years up on it now, but still works Ok.
Forgot to say with the phone you pay for calls you make on top of plan cheap insurance I recon

Last edited by Harbourmaster (20 October 2019 09:10 pm)

X-terra 705

Rockhunter62
Banned
Banned
20 October 2019 09:27 pm

If you decide to buy the Rino's just beware about letting your mates use it. I made that mistake and heard a message come in. Looked at it and it was one of my pre-saved messages "love you". To top it off, I then forgot to get it back before I left. Another reason to go back for a drink with Tuna.

Cheers

Doug

4 users like this post: Simmo, Ded Driver, madtuna, Trash

Simmo
20 October 2019 11:01 pm

I use Inmarsat.
Free sms from home base to the sat phone even without a top up.
If going away, I buy a 'top up voucher' and dont activate it unless needed.

However....
The last two 'vouchers' weren't needed...
So not activated and therefore lost, money gone.

If you are away often, it would pay to be on a plan.

Stingray
21 October 2019 12:29 am

I work out of the Pilbara and like Harbourmaster my prospecting partner and I use the Thuraya lite. Its not cheap to call out but the good thing is that calls from mobiles to the satphone are at standard call rates. I just send sms home and ask for wife to call and its cheap. Generally very clear and only slight delay. It uses a geostationary satellite above Singapore. We shut the Pivotel plans down at the end of season and get a new one with new number each year.

madtuna
Banned
Banned
21 October 2019 12:39 am

Rockhunter62 wrote:

If you decide to buy the Rino's just beware about letting your mates use it. I made that mistake and heard a message come in. Looked at it and it was one of my pre-saved messages "love you". To top it off, I then forgot to get it back before I left. Another reason to go back for a drink with Tuna.

Cheers

Doug

There was only a choice of two pre-saved messages, the "love you" one and the "hey hun….it's Saturday, that means role play night!" one. Being that it was only Wednesday I went with the first one. big_smile
p.s. you pair don't need a reason to go back for a drink with Tuna...always welcome! thumbsup

Extremely handsome covered in a fairly thick coating of ugly
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

2 users like this post: Rockhunter62, Anolphart

Anolphart
21 October 2019 08:39 am

JJB100 wrote:

I would appreciate if members could share with me and the forum their experience with Satellite phones and also networks covering WA.

Also looking for advice on a GPS Device, I am currently considering the Garmin eTrex 10 Handheld GPS (other devices are available).

These are the final pieces of the equipment jigsaw I am putting together before venturing out.

Regards

John

I have the Etrex 10, and yes it does the job but it can be slow when changing menus. Often when it's slow to respond I tend to hit the button again thinking that it mightn't have worked, and then only to find it goes to another page when it catches up. I believe the 20 or 30 are much quicker ... but of course more expensive.

If you accept its limitations then it's great value for money, it's battery life is OK, it's tiny and it gets me home.

Last edited by Anolphart (21 October 2019 08:40 am)

JJB100
25 October 2019 04:31 pm

Stingray wrote:

I work out of the Pilbara and like Harbourmaster my prospecting partner and I use the Thuraya lite. Its not cheap to call out but the good thing is that calls from mobiles to the satphone are at standard call rates. I just send sms home and ask for wife to call and its cheap. Generally very clear and only slight delay. It uses a geostationary satellite above Singapore. We shut the Pivotel plans down at the end of season and get a new one with new number each year.

Stingray,

Very useful info. I will probably go with this when up there.

Last time was when Shay Gap was being built.

regards

John

JJB100
25 October 2019 04:33 pm

Harbourmaster wrote:

I use a Thuraya XT-LITE. It's on a $15/mth plan with optus I activate the plan just before I go away & suspend it when I get home. It is currently suspended with about $8 or $9 credit and it will stay like that until I reactivate it. Cost was just shy of $600 2 yrs ago when I bought it. Haven't had a problem with reception thru WA, NT Qld & SA.Got me out of trouble in WA when injectors packed up last year. will send out a message to preprogrammed numbers (3) with choice of preset message or new message with GPS co-ordinates Also have a Garmin GPS 76, got a few years up on it now, but still works Ok.
Forgot to say with the phone you pay for calls you make on top of plan cheap insurance I recon

Harbourmaster,

Very detailed and welcomed response.

Many thanks.

regards

John

1 user likes this post: Harbourmaster