Dating a horseshoe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
savage bitter said:
its a coal pit horse shoe made from lead alloys so they don't make a spark that is what the local horse shoe dude here has said

Thanks Savage Bitter. Good work .

I didn`t think it looked like a regular horseshoe.

I have pulled up alot of cast iron out of the ground in that area , so i wonder if coal was used to power machinery somewhere nearby. No trains anywhere near that place , so i might need to research a bit deeper.

FOZ

just starting said:
savage bitter said:
its a coal pit horse shoe made from lead alloys so they don't make a spark that is what the local horse shoe dude here has said

Thanks Savage Bitter. Good work .

I didn`t think it looked like a regular horseshoe.

I have pulled up alot of cast iron out of the ground in that area , so i wonder if coal was used to power machinery somewhere nearby. No trains anywhere near that place , so i might need to research a bit deeper.

FOZ

Ha Foz , back in the day, thinking there was localised coal in the area. , Goldierocks would know more. I remember reading about it. Close to the river about 90 ft down.

No major mines for miles around that area ,so that is possible.

FMD. I just spent 1/2 an hour watching horseshoes being made and fitted with differing methods and then i found
videos on blacksmithing championships and i actually enjoyed it :| It`s a bit of an art. They have their own terminology for the methods they use.

Latest posts