Mudgee NSW old reservoir

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The deactivated and drained old reservoir contains a nice bush walk and bike track as I discovered recently.

There are many old rivulets and feeds into what is now a dry clay pan.

And I can't help but think of the lots of gold bits that must have been sluiced down the hill over the years.

Legalities there must be and I'm not sure if it's fair game....

But has anyone been for a swing or a poke around there?

Nice picnic spot too :)

Apart from a small area of the old dam & wall Redbank Dam is now surrounded by Avisford Nature Reserve (National Parks & Wildlife Service) so off limits to fossicking (unless you can get a permit :lol: ).
The small area of dry dam & wall left of Redbank is managed by Mid Western Regional Council as far as dam management etc. goes. Pretty sure Council leave the visitor rules to NPWS but you could ask about having a detect in there?
You'd probably get plenty of fishing tackle. Was a favourite swimming & fishing spot for many years before they drained it.
Not sure about gold though. It did look interesting but being off limits I've never worried about it. Heaps of other legal spots around. I did do some research years ago but from memory it told me the gold was on the other side of Avisford (back over towards Windeyer) backed up by some diggings along an old Windeyer to Mudgee track. These are enclosed in the Avisford Nature Reserve too.

Latest posts