GPX battery headphone socket and cable issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, recently I have been getting loss of sound/warbly sound when using my speaker & headphones on my 4500.
I have cleaned all connections on the plugs, & given the socket a clean as far as an ear cleaning bud soaked with WD40 can get.
When in the field I occasionally lose sound , & have to eject/connect the plug into the socket to regain normality. Without pulling the case apart to "fiddle" with stuff I know B A about, is there a fix for this problem or is it something Minelab has to do? Anyone had this problem & wish to share the fix? Dave.

Hi OC i have had similar problems in the past and found the cause to be in the curly power cord. With all the
Flexing overtime the insulation on the wires cracks. If there is anyone you can borrow a cord from it would show you if this is the problem.
Hope this helps good luck.
Jim

ol'codger said:
Hi all, recently I have been getting loss of sound/warbly sound when using my speaker & headphones on my 4500.
I have cleaned all connections on the plugs, & given the socket a clean as far as an ear cleaning bud soaked with WD40 can get.
When in the field I occasionally lose sound , & have to eject/connect the plug into the socket to regain normality. Without pulling the case apart to "fiddle" with stuff I know B A about, is there a fix for this problem or is it something Minelab has to do? Anyone had this problem & wish to share the fix? Dave.

Hey Dave

I don't think I have ever repaired a headphone socket in the GPX batteries. Most common issues are the curly cord and the relevant sockets - can cause loss of audio, cutting in/out etc. Plugging the headphone plug in and out may give the appearance of that socket being the issue but it may be just it is pushing the battery back a little and moving the curly cord and its connection.

Also electronics in the battery can cause audio issues. Audio cutting in/out, buzzing, low volume etc. I've repaired loads of them.

I would start with replacing curly cord - even if that's not the issue, it doesn't hurt to carry a spare.

On another note - I wouldnt advise using WD40 on electrical connections. The oil tends to attract dirt and dust. Use a specific contact cleaner if needed.

Thanks blokes, seems I have some further investigation coming up. I have a new curly chord, still in the pack.
Also dropped onto something I didn't know about WD40 too!!! It's nice to know that you can bounce a problem around with like-minded folk.Dave. :)

Have repaired many curly cords over the years .. not a quality cable IMHTO ... 2 x thick and 2 x thin wires ...
just saying

Really annoyed drove 2 hours to find my battery like this, id like to use a screw driver to open it so I can hold the part to insert the headphones because right now its loose. But will this void the warranty?
1570935716_0f4e7946-6a3d-413a-9112-4efb34389be3.jpg

1570935717_4c4fc4e2-1654-4278-a9da-6edd947f6328.jpg

I would open it but perhaps it's worth a call to Minelab. I doubt anybody would void warranty for an emergency fix when their product failed. It's not like you opened it modify it. They won't help you if you modify their product but you can't be stuck out there with a breakdown and not be able to fix it.

That would have to be a manufacturing fault, unless you hit it with a hammer the plug would not snap off like that. Always have super glue (the type that comes with the texta type pen) and as mentioned a soldering iron with you.

Good luck VGH

Latest posts