Bottles from under my House

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a new house, thats new for me, the house is at least pre 1911, but i've not had much luck in finding out how old it is.

So either way, since i'm getting the place restumped, i thought I'd look around under neither the bit that is probably the oldest bit. And i found the these bottles under the floor near an old chimney base.

There are others under there, but these are the ones i could reach with a hook on a stick.

If anyone can tell me what they were for and their age that would be really helpful for dating the house I think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVKTn2f2bnk4FF2p7

Marauder said:
Just bought a new house, thats new for me, the house is at least pre 1911, but i've not had much luck in finding out how old it is.

So either way, since i'm getting the place restumped, i thought I'd look around under neither the bit that is probably the oldest bit. And i found the these bottles under the floor near an old chimney base.

There are others under there, but these are the ones i could reach with a hook on a stick.

If anyone can tell me what they were for and their age that would be really helpful for dating the house I think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVKTn2f2bnk4FF2p7

Mate,
If you're getting under there again, take a pinpointer and see if there are any old coins as well :)

G'day Marauder, In the first pic, the two bottles on the right are champagne bottles. Suggest they are made of quite thick glass, especially the bottoms. Found many of these on my travels in northern outback South Australia. Actually found old homestead sites where there was no buildings left but the old gardens were marked out in these champagne bottles, bum up head down. Probably dating late 1800's early 1900's. Strange thing was, champagne was not a particularly popular drink. But therein lies the mystery.

Cheers
Bill

Hi Bill
particularly in the eastern states those bottles were also used for beer, there are subtle differences between the beer and champagne bottles i believe these would likely to to be beer bottles, here is a cascade one
1574134755_cascade.jpg

Latest posts