Lightweight GPX Battery Detectormods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these modified cam corder batteries on their GPX, s?
Ive ordered one without considering wether it might damage my 4500.
Have not found much info whist looking on the net, but a spare battery cost, s 395 for a minelab job, and woody, s was 125.

One thing to think about is the minelab battery has a built in amplifier, to power the speaker..and without that a booster may be needed..??

I also considered one of these batteries for my 4500 but because the original battery is buggered i have opted to go with the genuine minelab battery as it will be the main battery not the spare.

Considering there are no (extra) electronics within the battery, pretty sure they are, as you said, camcorder lithium ion battery cells. According to the 4500 manual a minelab gpx battery fully charged is 8.2v - 8.4v and the electronics in the minelab battery shut it down at 7.1v, so i spose as long as the fully charged voltage doesn't exceed the 8.4v stated in the manual then they should be fine. Sorry i can only give technical advice not practical experience with these batteries.

On a side note i would be looking at the amp hours of the battery so you know roughly how long they will last between charges.

Hopes this helps mate. :)

davent said:
Anyone use one of these modified cam corder batteries on their GPX, s?
Ive ordered one without considering wether it might damage my 4500.
Have not found much info whist looking on the net, but a spare battery cost, s 395 for a minelab job, and woody, s was 125.

Those batteries, as long as you purchased the gpx battery from Woodies will run your 4500 fine. It is 7000mah and ran the 5000 for just on 7 hours. I ran headphones direct from the battery no dramas but will not run a speaker very well at all without a booster. The only issue is the charger is only 600mah so it takes nearly 12 hours to fully charge the battery. But they work really well.

davent said:
Need a booster with good head phones?
Thanks for the reply btw.

No. Actually, when using headphones, the amp in the factory GPX battery is not even activated.

Also, PM sent

The factory gpx battery internal amplifier can be activated for headphone use, mine is setup that way on the 4500, there is a pigtail adapter you can buy that activates the amp, much simpler than an add on amp. And it works well, you do have to use some electronic cleaner now and then on the connectors to clean out the alkali dust. Or you could take a new pigtail adapter and tape up the female end of the adapter once headphones cord is installed to curb the dust.

Hi, has anyone used or can comment on the battery that Detectormods sell for GPX 5000. I'm not worried about the price, more interested in the light weight. I have bought the light weight minelab battery but I get bugger all time out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a look at these at the gold bash, they look well made , definitely are lighter and they are supposed to last all day so I was told .
Cheers Booney

Booney said:
I had a look at these at the gold bash, they look well made , definitely are lighter and they are supposed to last all day so I was told .
Cheers Booney
Hi Booney,

I think you may have looked at the Detectronics battery systems at the bash.

They are a little heavier than the detectormods battery.

One lady who bought one has arthritis and had problems carrying the minelab battery on her back.
She tried it out and came back the next day and was very happy with it. The weight on the side of the detector did not worry her at all.

The other thing the ladies like about the wireless battery systems, when nature calls, no need to get the harness off any more ;) There was one sold for that reason alone!

Cheers Mick

peterau said:
Hi, has anyone used or can comment on the battery that Detectormods sell for GPX 5000. I'm not worried about the price, more interested in the light weight. I have bought the light weight minelab battery but I get bugger all time out of it. Any help would be appreciated.
I use the detectormods battery system, have 2. Last all day easy. Don't know its on the detector.

Hi , I bought the detectormods battery, the lighter one that does 6 to 7 hours. I got them to put the same fitting, female so I could put it in the detector harness and still use the minelab curly cord. Used it for 4 hours till I had enough, battery was excellent on back, way lighter about a third of the minelab battery. I can still use it handsfree velcroud on the detector if I want by using the short cord from the small minelab battery, but I think my shoulders are as bad as my back so probably use in the harness mainly. Thanks all for your help and I can detect more body friendly for a while. Cheers peter

Latest posts