Pinpointers Minelab Pro-Find (35) or Garrett Pro Pointer (AT)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pro find 15 a couple of months ago for my grandson
The main reason being simplicity ... turn it on , turn it off ....no changing settings when he holds a button too long (as he would always do with my carrot)
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE "P.O.S." !! :mad: :N:

You have the very best pinpointer on the end of your detector, your coil! There is no need to carry around another device, it is just another expense, a must have because he has one.
Each to their own of course, but it amuses me seeing videos, target screaming from coil and out comes the pinpointer. "Bugger me the target is in the hole I'm digging!" :lol: :lol:

Nightjar said:
You have the very best pinpointer on the end of your detector, your coil! There is no need to carry around another device, it is just another expense, a must have because he has one.
Each to their own of course, but it amuses me seeing videos, target screaming from coil and out comes the pinpointer. "Bugger me the target is in the hole I'm digging!" :lol: :lol:

I agree for gold detecting Pete, using the coil and halving a handful of dirt will beat a pin pointer every time. But I can see their use in coin detecting in parks etc where ground disturbance has to be kept to a minimum.

Where a pin pointer does shine with gold detecting is on big gold in a deep hole where putting the coil in overloads. It helps isolate the target. Not so much of a problem on a GPX machine where you can put the machine into cancel.

Nightjar said:

Fair enough. I bought mine as I want to pan and hike fair distances and I don't want to carry a bloody big detector as well as everything else. With a pin-pointer, I can check crevices, and also do a check on the material I cast aside in the process when classifying.

With a detector, I want to double-check if the target is ferrous or not to save time wasted digging.
So first check is by the targets noise, discriminated by ear or machine, and then confirmation with pinpointer because I have read reports it is brilliant at discrimination. I will do this as I hear and read many times that people leave targets if they suspect rubbish and don't believe in digging every signal.

In addition, I have seen so many videos of people struggling to find the target quickly by hand or scoop, so that is a time-saver right there with a pinpointer.
If anyone thinks they are an expert without a pinpointer then fine, stay with what you do. For newbies and those with a disability of some kind, then if a pinpointer will make life a bit easier then what's wrong with that? Until I feel I don't need it I will continue to have it with me every trip. :) :Y:

Nightjar said:

Yeah you need to know when to use it. I use mine in rock crevices at the beach

Digger58 said:
Nightjar said:

Fair enough. I bought mine as I want to pan and hike fair distances and I don't want to carry a bloody big detector as well as everything else. With a pin-pointer, I can check crevices, and also do a check on the material I cast aside in the process when classifying.

With a detector, I want to double-check if the target is ferrous or not to save time wasted digging.
So first check is by the targets noise, discriminated by ear or machine, and then confirmation with pinpointer because I have read reports it is brilliant at discrimination. I will do this as I hear and read many times that people leave targets if they suspect rubbish and don't believe in digging every signal.

In addition, I have seen so many videos of people struggling to find the target quickly by hand or scoop, so that is a time-saver right there with a pinpointer.
If anyone thinks they are an expert without a pinpointer then fine, stay with what you do. For newbies and those with a disability of some kind, then if a pinpointer will make life a bit easier then what's wrong with that? Until I feel I don't need it I will continue to have it with me every trip. :) :Y:
Just a couple of things... remember your pin pointer has to be relatively close to the target for it to register. So if your target is not a surface target you're probably still going to have to dig anyway.

As for checking crevices, it wont register on flower gold unless you poked it in a jar full, you'll need to pretty much touch tiny sub gram nuggets to get a reaction. If it fits in a crevice, it's not a crevice..it's the grand canyon.

Unless pin pointers have advanced since I've used them, they have on/off and sensitivity only, not discrimination.

The last 2 points in your paragraph, if newbies took a bit of time to learn to pin point and master the hand and coil technique they could for the most part negate the need of a pin pointer. It's not hard to master and is much quicker than trying to locate a sub gram nugget in the spoils.

I'll agree with you on the people with disabilities though, I'd imagine there are a lot of prospectors out there who lost a hand in the war or to a croc bite and had a pin pointer fitted instead of a hook.

:D

madtuna said:
I'll agree with you on the people with disabilities though, I'd imagine there are a lot of prospectors out there who lost a hand in the war or to a croc bite and had a pin pointer fitted instead of a hook.

:D

With the welcome rain MT your humour has stepped up a peg (no pun intended) or two... :lol:

quote: "pointer fitted instead of a hook." ROFPMSL