Society of British Sailors Medal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Anyone ever found a Society of British Sailors Lord Nelson 1905 medal?
Will post a pic of this find in a day or two when I'm back home.
Found in yard of a home built in the 1920's inner city Brisbane. Before that date there was old brick home built late 1800's.
The same family still own it.
Thought it was a penny at at first, but heavier & thicker.
Cheers
Angela

Not sure Nucopia, if you Google it there's a pic on Nelson standing on one side & his ship/boat.
From what I could glean it comemorrates his death.
Not sure if it was an award or why someone would have received it.
Have to clean it up when I get home.
I was staying with my daughter & approached the owner of this place across the road.
One of those place which never has a window open.
The owner is a nice lady & said yes, as long as I could locate the metal surveyors peg in the corner of the lot.
It's under bitumen, didn't have much luck explaining I wouldn't be able to dig it out.!!,!

Google search comes up with a few possibilities
Seems the British sailors society has had a few name changes over the years but originated in London as a Christian charity founded by a former British sailor and others , to provide a place of worship to sailors from all nations visiting London on merchant ships.
Any one donating to the charity could receive a medal and some medals were struck to commemorate different events such as the centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar and also Nelsons death ..
Google has different images for 1905 medals some round some such as a Fob Watch medallion were in the shape of a three pointed star.
Looking forward to seeing the one you found.