You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

ctxkid
10 October 2019 12:42 pm

The peltier is larger in your kit ?????

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

Nightjar
10 October 2019 06:53 pm

Yes, I see you are using a 12V shower pump that hogs a few amps.
My kit doesn't have water flowing through it. Did think the water was to help cooling, but then again didn't read closely.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: ctxkid

ctxkid
10 October 2019 09:05 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Yes, I see you are using a 12V shower pump that hogs a few amps.
My kit doesn't have water flowing through it. Did think the water was to help cooling, but then again didn't read closely.

it pull 1.6 amp , so yeah i can get that down some , and decrease flow will get the water colder going trough the cooler

Last edited by ctxkid (10 October 2019 09:05 pm)

...................................................Such is life........................................................

2 users like this post: goody2shoes, Nightjar

Ded Driver
10 October 2019 09:22 pm

I see a couple of these units on eBay that have a large heatsink & fan on the hot side, & a smaller (about half the size) heatsink & fan on the cold side, with no water adaptor, & although no doubt the water would help with the efficiency, it comes at the cost of more power consumption for a pump.
If a water cooled system is used, I am thinking that by careful positioning/elevation of the water-air heat exchanger at the end the piping (with a small fan), the pump could be left out & just rely on thermal circulation of the water (hot water rises, colder water from the bottom flows back to the peltier unit.
the trick would be to have the hot side piping higher, but not too high, & the cold return slightly higher so it gravity feeds cooler water back.

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

2 users like this post: ctxkid, Nightjar

Nightjar
16 October 2019 08:19 pm

Ded Driver wrote:

I see a couple of these units on eBay that have a large heatsink & fan on the hot side, & a smaller (about half the size) heatsink & fan on the cold side, with no water adaptor.

DD That's the one I bought, pics in earlier posts.
Have been wracking the brain how to switch the Peltier on/off.
Think I'm on a winner, good old eBay again, two units delivered to my mail box ($5.00)
Found the operating instructions using Google.
Just copy/paste heading into eBay search and you'll find them.

https://www.herman-shop.com/PDF/thermos … uction.pdf

First thoughts are I set the Peltier up blowing through one of the vents directing cooler air over the workings of the Engel.
Just experimented in the shed setting the thermostat to 30°C, held the sender between my fingers and the readout soon jumped to 30°C and the Peltier powered up. Let go of the sender and the temp dropped to 27°C (This is the norm for the Thermo, 3° below set temp. to prevent excessive energising) and the Peltier de-energised... (Ambient temp in my shed today is 21°C
May set it up this way so if the ambient temperature rises to set temp while we are away prospecting the Peltier will kick in helping the fridge used as a freezer to maintain the low temps required to keep food safe.
Thinking thinking..

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

2 users like this post: Deepseeker, Ded Driver

Ded Driver
16 October 2019 08:53 pm

that's the idea I had in mind too Nightjar.
The water cooling add-on isn't something I'd use inside a vehicle or van that does long km on rough roads or tracks.
I think any amount of cooler air blown into the fridge air intake will make a noticeable difference.
As my Aux battery & IDC45 charger are in a (not fully closed) compartment below the false floor, I reckon this setup will be good in there too. I have bought a high/low temp fan controller & was going to simply set that up, but am now considering a Peltier setup with it, & to be able to switch the fan with or without the Peltier unit.

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

Nightjar
22 October 2019 12:46 pm

Watch this space:
Have wired the thermostat and Peltier and running tests today using my old Engel.
Will get photos and details later.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

2 users like this post: ctxkid, Ded Driver

ctxkid
22 October 2019 01:02 pm

i have made them work much cooler by water cooling the hot side

1571709698_img_0198.jpg
1571709698_img_0199.jpg
1571709698_img_0200.jpg

2 users like this post: Ded Driver, Nightjar

Tathradj
22 October 2019 02:51 pm

I have used these a few times.
Very good value.
Search the item number in Ebay,

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

ctxkid
22 October 2019 03:57 pm

Tathradj wrote:

I have used these a few times.
Very good value.
Search the item number in Ebay,

thanx doug , some coming my way , look good for the money cool

1 user likes this post: Tathradj

ctxkid
22 October 2019 04:15 pm

Ded Driver wrote:

If a water cooled system is used, I am thinking that by careful positioning/elevation of the water-air heat exchanger at the end the piping (with a small fan), the pump could be left out & just rely on thermal circulation of the water (hot water rises, colder water from the bottom flows back to the peltier unit.
the trick would be to have the hot side piping higher, but not too high, & the cold return slightly higher so it gravity feeds cooler water back.

tried and the cold side losses efficiency , the cooler you get the hot side , the better, mine slowed as the water got hotter sad but it makes a better hotwater service than the $350 copperhead jobbie i bought recently ops
i am going to get more , and have one cooling the water entering the hot side , an the cold side should get mega cold on the third one, for 50 bucks it will be a fun experiment thumbsup

2 users like this post: Nightjar, Ded Driver

ctxkid
22 October 2019 06:00 pm

i have thought about this most of the day , and now to find this, confirms my present experiments are on the right track perfect cool

this is the power of water cooling the heated side fire cool

https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/2 … 030102.mp4

might try glycol next idea

Nightjar
22 October 2019 06:26 pm

This set up was in my shed running the Engel on 240V.
Obviously the ute solar wasn't connected. You can see the Peltier was drawing 4 amps. (This gauge reads the in & out amps)
Can manually set the thermostat, (Bought two through eBay, $10.00 in my letter box) in this instance I temporarily set the cut in temperature at 22°C.
The fridge was down to -8°C, the ambient was 25°C and the Peltier cold side was 10°C.
The Engel cycled for 5 minutes on, 3 minutes off. Will be interesting to see if the cycle times alter with Peltier on & off.
In real life out prospecting I would probably set it 25°C. ie: If the ambient temperature rises to 25°C the Peltier will kick in. When the ambient drops to 23° the Peltier will shut down.
During our prospecting season once the sun drops for the night the ambient temperature drops rapidly so the Peltier would be shut down all night and not start up until the next afternoon or when it again reaches what ever temperature I set.
Maybe set up a catch can under the "cold side" about a dessert spoon of water collected in the bottom of the box. lol
If nothing else it has been an interesting project.

1571728767_peltier_set_up._001.jpg

1571728786_peltier_set_up._002.jpg

1571728806_peltier_set_up._003.jpg

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

3 users like this post: ctxkid, Ded Driver, Gem in I

ctxkid
23 October 2019 07:08 am

top job NJ !
these things a fun and very addictive

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

ctxkid
23 October 2019 07:09 am

just a short one , try taking the fan off the heatsink , and place it away , i recon it will get colder

bicter
23 October 2019 08:19 am

Nightjar,
I cant tell from the eBay description, are you able to separately set the on & off temp?
For instance, turn on at 20 deg and off at 15deg.
I imagine control over the hysteresis would be important for longevity of fans etc as well as perhaps being a little more efficient with the power usage.

Last edited by bicter (23 October 2019 08:19 am)

Nightjar
23 October 2019 11:31 am

bicter wrote:

Nightjar,
I cant tell from the eBay description, are you able to separately set the on & off temp?
I imagine control over the hysteresis would be important for longevity of fans etc as well as perhaps being a little more efficient with the power usage.

Bicter,
On the thermostat shown in above pic you can "set" activation temperature but not the cutout temperature.
The readout on the pic is the ambient temp (difficult to read) 23.8°C. You probably notices the Engel ambient temp reads 25°, I was fiddling remember so they don't match.
For the test I set the activation at 22°C so the Peltier is running, when the ambient drops to 20°C it will automatically cut out. The thermostat is designed this way (2°C cut out lag) so what ever device you are controlling doesn't cut in & out if the ambient temperature hovers around your set point.
No doubt there are thermostats that you can set upper & lower temps. In this instance working with the ambient temperature suffices.

CTX, Totally agree, very addictive. Years ago knocked up a random number picker 1 - 45 using led's and electronics, it worked but never gave me the winning lotto numbers. lol

Last edited by Nightjar (23 October 2019 11:39 am)

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

3 users like this post: bicter, Ded Driver, brucee

Ded Driver
23 October 2019 04:14 pm

Nightjar wrote:
bicter wrote:

Nightjar,

Bicter,
On the thermostat shown in above pic you can "set" activation temperature but not the cutout temperature.
The readout on the pic is the ambient temp (difficult to read) 23.8°C. You probably notices the Engel ambient temp reads 25°, I was fiddling remember so they don't match.
For the test I set the activation at 22°C so the Peltier is running, when the ambient drops to 20°C it will automatically cut out. The thermostat is designed this way (2°C cut out lag) so what ever device you are controlling doesn't cut in & out if the ambient temperature hovers around your set point.
No doubt there are thermostats that you can set upper & lower temps. In this instance working with the ambient temperature suffices.

CTX, Totally agree, very addictive. Years ago knocked up a random number picker 1 - 45 using led's and electronics, it worked but never gave me the winning lotto numbers. lol

this is a very interesting thread, & sure to provide some great ideas for anyone interested in tinkering.
Ive been very busy lately, but have a couple of bits n pieces & when I get time to make something up I will post up my results too.
One of the bits I do have is a thermostat module with upper & lower settings.

3 users like this post: Nightjar, ctxkid, Gem in I

AtomRat
23 October 2019 04:38 pm

Have pulled a lot of peltier modules off old car cooler systems, but not had much of a go at running them yet, except to generate small amount of power. Very interesting though, love them

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

ctxkid
23 October 2019 07:53 pm

i played some more today

1571820323_p1120979.jpg

new pump , knocked 1.2 amp off the draw cool

took the water to 40deg and gave my puppy a bath with the 8lts produced , he loved every minuter of it perfect then went and rolled in the dirt the little shite sad

2 users like this post: RM Outback, Ded Driver

ctxkid
23 October 2019 08:09 pm

a couple of hours made 510Wh power perfect cool using 2x 100watt folding mats

1571821660_img_02231.jpg

Last edited by ctxkid (23 October 2019 08:10 pm)

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

Nightjar
23 October 2019 08:18 pm

Yes, they certainly get frosty. Did a small mod today and included a catch can under the one I'm trialing, to take the condensation away from the box.
Pic tomorrow.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: ctxkid

Nightjar
23 October 2019 08:21 pm

ctxkid wrote:

a couple of hours made 510Wh power perfect cool using 2x 100watt folding mats

CTX, Can you explain a little more what you are doing here, I'm lost? Does it refer to what you put back into your battery while running your peltier set up?

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

Ded Driver
23 October 2019 10:20 pm

thinking about pumps CTXKID, have you looked for one with a brushless motor?
Would be a few more money but more efficient & thus draw less Amps.
just wondering whats available.

Ded Driver
23 October 2019 10:24 pm

just partly answered my own question by having a quick search.
12V DC 10W Brushless Solar High Temperature Water Pump 8L/min. $18.70 free postage from Hong Kong
10W equates to 0.8A @12.5V .... seems light, but I assume that is no load.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-10W- … 0677.m4598
What pump flow rate are you using ctx?

Last edited by Ded Driver (23 October 2019 10:26 pm)

1 user likes this post: bicter

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site