Reputable place to buy cuttable stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys Ive recently taken up the hobby of facetting stones at my local gem club. So far Ive cut a bit of Smokey Quartz & some Topaz kindly given to me by a mate.

Im now hooked, so like to get hold of some other more valuable stones to have a go at. Ideally I would like to find some myself in the field. However, In the meantime Id like to buy some. Ive had a bit of a look at eBay etc, but have a bit of a concern about inadvertently buying some that turn out to be not of facet quality or worse still getting ripped off.

Can anyone please give me any tips on trusted places to purchase rough stones or how to best avoid being ripped off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mark

What types of stones are you looking for Mark ?

I like to eyeball stones I buy and gem shows are a good way to do this. The prices I have paid for a few eye clean or great coloured stones still shock me today, even though I do look around to gauge the market. I always reference market price as $/ct for different stone types and have researched the internet shops to get a feel for market price

Of course, the actual market price is the $/ct that changes hands, if you dont offer something for consideration, it wont be considered, or counter offered. Would you take.... is a good lead in question.

Best deals I have made have been for stones fossicked by the owners of faceting gear and included with the sale, cheapest ones have been lying in the dirt, discarded by Mother Nature.

Thanks both Wally & Pat for your advice. I was thinking along the lines of Garnet, Zircon or even Citrine. I was very luck to be given a bit of Topaz that I facitted to an Emerald cut. Im very much a beginner so wont start with anything too valuable yet.

I will check some upcoming Gem shows and will definitely check out Laurie & Yolanda.

Once again thanks for your advice. It was exactly what I was after.

Best regards

Mark