More on Bush Power

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know this might chew a bit of tiny juice, Jaycar have small 2" up to 4 1/2" 12v dc computer fans (?).
They draw bugga all current really.
Would one of these mounted on the air event increase performance? Worthy of the current they draw.
I'm pretty sure most refrigerant set ups like prefer air flow for cooling it.
80Ma.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/80mm-silent-hydrodynamic-bearing-case-fan/p/YX2570
Would be happy to mount it using adhesive Velcro

as far I know all car fridges already have a fan that draws air in one side & blows it out the other over the condenser. if you put your hand over the outlet vent you should feel the warm/hot air gently blowing out.
In another thread this topic has been covered using Peltier devices to blow colder air into the intake.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32108&p=1

Fitted a microwave fan to a mates mig once . Did help duty cycle a bit. Even though it had already had a smaller fan stock fitted.

ctxkid said:

Arrived today from Snowys, great service. Thanks CTX

1575950540_002.jpg

Awsum!
There is a God! I know, because he hates me!
And Santa ain't dropping one one under my tree either!
#$%& of a kid this year again!
Got to do a deal with the devil to get one! :lol:

Great choice Provari,
You won't be disappointed. My mate has just bought his sixth portable fridge in past 11 years, why, because the thick twit didn't buy Engel..... :drooling: :zzz:
Me, 80L Engel Combo 2008, still purring. :playful: :inlove:
Me, 39L Engel 1983, still purring.. :playful: :inlove:
Need I say any more?

My MT35 is still going strong after years of being bashed around. Used a Chescold F400 for years running on gas as a freezer but have downsized my gear so the Chescold is relegated to the shed, only to be fired up in the event of a power blackout. I bought a Waeco CFX 28 to use as a freezer but it died twice in the first 6 months so that ended up on Gumtree. Should have gone straight to an Engel.
1576032162_001.jpg

The old Engel has had a rough life.

Nightjar said:
Great choice Provari,
You won't be disappointed. My mate has just bought his sixth portable fridge in past 11 years, why, because the thick twit didn't buy Engel..... :drooling: :zzz:
Me, 80L Engel Combo 2008, still purring. :playful: :inlove:
Me, 39L Engel 1983, still purring.. :playful: :inlove:
Need I say any more?

My 45ltr. Engel is in constant use downstairs keeping the wine and Great Northern at 4 deg. C.
I bought it in 2007 in Kununurra.

that's an interesting video RR
Im not running a lithium battery, but I hadn't given much thought to alternator temperature.
My LC Aux battery gets a max of 45Amp on boost mode charge, & add other electric loads & the poor alternator would be pumping, & probably getting very hot.
I might just do some temp monitoring to see what happens.

Ded Driver said:
that's an interesting video RR
Im not running a lithium battery, but I hadn't given much thought to alternator temperature.
My LC Aux battery gets a max of 45Amp on boost mode charge, & add other electric loads & the poor alternator would be pumping, & probably getting very hot.
I might just do some temp monitoring to see what happens.

Yeah DD it would be a good one to do some real world testing on,

There is also another thing to factor in to the test and that is their Alternator was in the Open Air where ours would be in hot and cold ambient temps pending on our location and Ours are also in an enclosed engine bay so they are going to get even hotter a lot quicker as well. So the destruction point will happen a lot sooner.

Ridge Runner said:

I don't understand why they are doing this test.

They said "although a lithium battery requires a battery management system it's without one for the tests"

That 300ah battery retails for over $4000 AU.

I would really like to know who would just hook up that battery direct to an alternator, I really don't think ANYONE is quite that silly.

Occasional_panner said:
Ridge Runner said:

I don't understand why they are doing this test.

They said "although a lithium battery requires a battery management system it's without one for the tests"

That 300ah battery retails for over $4000 AU.

I would really like to know who would just hook up that battery direct to an alternator, I really don't think ANYONE is quite that silly.

The reason they are doing the test is to show the difference of using the standard vehicle Alternator and one that is specially made to handle Lithium Batteries, which is a common mistake people make, when they buy a lithium battery and fit it direct to a standard Car/Alternator, The Point is, It just can't be Done regardless of what the retailer tells you and their goal is just to make a Sale,

Bottom line is a battery like that will take what ever Ah you can throw at it which makes the standard Alternator run flat out causing it to over heat, So you either need to fit a New Special type Alternator or feed the Battery via a DC to DC Charger,

Ridge Runner said:
..............which is a common mistake people make, when they buy a lithium battery and fit it direct to a standard Car/Alternator..............

Have people actually been doing this with $4000 batteries?

Occasional_panner said:
Ridge Runner said:
..............which is a common mistake people make, when they buy a lithium battery and fit it direct to a standard Car/Alternator..............

Have people actually been doing this with $4000 batteries?

I would not know, But I am sure some have tried to hook up one or two 1000$ batteries, The point is modern alternators put out a lot of power in the first 5 or 10 minutes and then limit the amount of power they put out, Lithium Batteries don't like that, So as the battery tries to draw more power it can't and it conflicts with the Alternator which is why the one in the video caught fire and the hotter they get the less power they put out until the Alternator dies.

RR, that video is 21 min, I'm not spending that amount of time listening to how much of a goose someone is.

Basically if someone buys a $1000-$4000 battery and hooks it up without reading the manufacturers instructions on what is needed to charge it, then they stuff it up, well serves em right.

Listening to some bloke on the net or some 16 y/o clown in an auto parts store doesn't cut it.

It might actually be a good idea for people who have no clue to get a auto elec to set it up for them.

Often people that try to save themselves some money doing it themselves end up costing themselves way more.

Latest posts