Keen as mustard.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Been in the Bathurst area for around 9 months for work and progressively learning as I go with a wealth of knowledge gained from reading posts on this forum. Started with a pan, and a shovel and spent the first few months reading and looking at different spots, bought a small sluice, found a magic little spot about 30kms from town, until the water got really cold one weekend with a sheet of ice on top, hired a detector and became hooked. Since then Ive been reading and researching and out and about just about every weekend not only detecting for gold but more so enjoying the bush and countryside around the area. Been spending a fair amount of time around Ophir and Mullion creek, Dog Rocks and Essington state forest and found my first little nugget if thats what you call it two weeks ago (about 1 cm long, but exciting for me) at Ophir followed closely by another. Bought a GPX4500 and, still learning but finding the more time I spend out, the more knowledge I gain. I understand people have their favourite spots not willing to give too much away, yet would be stoked if anyone around the area would be willing to take me out to a different spot for a squiz.

As said, really enjoy around Ophir and the hills around Mullion Creek, and despite reading that the area has been cleaned out, still figure theres plenty to be found around those parts if willing to put the time in, yet be good to gain some additional knowledge from those willing to share it.

Thanks

Thongo said:
Hi all.
Been in the Bathurst area for around 9 months for work and progressively learning as I go with a wealth of knowledge gained from reading posts on this forum. Started with a pan, and a shovel and spent the first few months reading and looking at different spots, bought a small sluice, found a magic little spot about 30kms from town, until the water got really cold one weekend with a sheet of ice on top, hired a detector and became hooked. Since then Ive been reading and researching and out and about just about every weekend not only detecting for gold but more so enjoying the bush and countryside around the area. Been spending a fair amount of time around Ophir and Mullion creek, Dog Rocks and Essington state forest and found my first little nugget if thats what you call it two weeks ago (about 1 cm long, but exciting for me) at Ophir followed closely by another. Bought a GPX4500 and, still learning but finding the more time I spend out, the more knowledge I gain. I understand people have their favourite spots not willing to give too much away, yet would be stoked if anyone around the area would be willing to take me out to a different spot for a squiz.

As said, really enjoy around Ophir and the hills around Mullion Creek, and despite reading that the area has been cleaned out, still figure theres plenty to be found around those parts if willing to put the time in, yet be good to gain some additional knowledge from those willing to share it.

Thanks
ohpir always produces :goldnugget:
i live in Btown as well , at some stage might have to catchup :cool:

ctxkid said:
Thongo said:
Hi all.

Thanks
ohpir always produces :goldnugget:
i live in Btown as well , at some stage might have to catchup :cool:

Cheers ctxkid, Ive had some luck out there, yet just enjoy being out there and looking around. Have covered most of the ground out there walking, and just started to get the detector out recently. Spent some time also in Mullion Creek and Girralang yet still trying to get my head around where to start and gain more knowledge. Feel free to give me a shout, Ill be wandering around most weekends

Thongo said:
Cheers ctxkid, Ive had some luck out there, yet just enjoy being out there and looking around. Have covered most of the ground out there walking, and just started to get the detector out recently. Spent some time also in Mullion Creek and Girralang yet still trying to get my head around where to start and gain more knowledge. Feel free to give me a shout, Ill be wandering around most weekends
i am about most times :cool: there is lots of flogged ground at Ophir :goldnugget: , but it's still there , either relics or gold :100: i haven't prospected mullion creek yet :eek:
might even talk Robmoto into coming for a sniff as well :perfect:

Latest posts