Metal Ore ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if this should be in the minerals section.
I've found these over the last few trip, I was left wandering if these were metal ore following some comments on a different thread I posted around disappearing targets on the beach (possibly due to a concentration of mineralisation ). Any way, the three on the right seem to be like aluminium (I put them down to tin foil that had been chucked on a beach bonfire), the others are all much more like rocks. All are very very light but there is nothing consistent with the target IDs (nox 600) except most have multiple signals (14 to 21). All are found on beaches around Swansea lakes entrance.
Steve
1567912065_20190908_124700.jpg

definitely not Tin. it doesn't have the characteristic 'pyrite' fleck type of colour on the surface to be tin.
I would say they are all aluminium, melted into blobs with different porosity, hence the different ID.
It only takes a few cans & maybe some Al foil from a BBQ thrown in a camp fire to produce such blobs.
Ive found many
The Gold Monster is awesome at finding this stuff :playful:

navieko said:
Perhaps worth breaking up/crushing the quartz looking rocks on the left side of the pic (not the aluminium blobs) and seeing what's inside?

Why didn't I think of that ? :(

I think Ded Driver is right, 2 of the pieces full of coke or charcoal, thanks.

The 3rd (2nd largest piece) absolutely hard as, now this is an isolated specimen (all others bonfire Ali Cans) I suspect this is a piece of hard concrete with iron oxide from reinforcing.
Many thanks for the advice and knowledge guys, I take away all my finds (as well as surface sharps from the beach) I think I'll be filing these below rusty bottle tops :p

Thanks again,
Steve

there are also examples of concrete used on beach fronts being made for decking & panels with stainless steel 'fibre' (wire strands) instead of regular steel reinforcing. Its made in much the same way as fibreglass. But if your specimen had s/s wire fibres in it you would know, as you would see them sticking out.